European Virtual Console Gets Chrono Trigger in Quarter 2

Posted by James Newton

Should be here before July

We hereby christen today "Good News Tuesday". Not only have we discovered the release dates for countless titles — Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Reverie, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D and plenty more — we've also had confirmation from Nintendo that classic Square RPG Chrono Trigger will see the light of day on Virtual Console in Europe.

The game is slated for a Quarter 2 release date, which could mean any Friday between now and the end of June, but it's still cheering to see the game is indeed on its way. Regrettably the Nintendo of Europe release schedule is otherwise devoid of Virtual Console titles, even already-rated titles such as Monster World IV, but Chrono Trigger will surely be worth the wait considering the Super NES version was never originally released in Europe.

James

James said:

@PALgamer As if this news onslaught isn't enough...! The Captivate embargo ends in 30 minutes. I'll try to bring you updates as they happen :)

J-Forest-Esq

J-Forest-Esq said:

There's a repetition of "we've also had confirmation from Nintendo that classic Square RPG Chrono Trigger and plenty more" in there.
Good news though. I'm not sure I can take any more.

Muis

Muis said:

Awesome! Finally a chance to play Chrono Trigger without spending a bucketload of cash.

There are so many great games coming out in the following months, I don't know where I'll find the time to play them all!

James

James said:

@Jango.Forest For some reason the post editor was going a bit mental, spewing out HTML and stuff. All fixed now though I think!

Rensch

Rensch said:

YES! Finally a confirmation that this game will appear in Europe! Chrono Trigger makes up for like two months of no new VC games if you ask me.

killer6370

killer6370 said:

yaaaaaaaaay yiiiiiiipppppeeeeeeeeee finaly its coming and am actually downloading it as soon as its ariving

FigetingPigeon

FigetingPigeon said:

OH MY GOD!! Thankyou SquareEnix and Nintendo for releasing this so soon in Europe. I can't wait to finally get a chance to play this awesome classic.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

Meanwhile The US will be lucky if it gets FF6 by then.:P Oh well, at least you guys get to enjoy some good Square RPGs.

Scarkaiser

Scarkaiser said:

Life in Europe is good :)

Shame I don't live there :(
It's going to be hard to watch this and Megaman X head over to you guys while the US gets nothing but Wiiware demos... Cries

TrainerOrange

TrainerOrange said:

Nice for Europe, but it's getting a little concerning in America where we still don't have FF3/6 yet. What's the hold up?

Dragon_Warrior

Dragon_Warrior said:

They are still trying to find the day NEXT YEAR that people will least expect to release FF6 and CT in NA. They guy running VC here is a sadist.

rwq

rwq said:

So good news! But the "never released before in europe" does beg the question. 50 or 60 hz?

Traxx

Traxx said:

@21 FF3 offers only 60hz, think it will be the same with CT. All VC "import" games except lazy SEGA games run in their original speed.

Lordy

Lordy said:

Awwright, more classic RPGs! All we need now is the Gaia trilogy! (and an American release...)

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

Well, I already have Chrono Trigger three times over (SNES, PSOne, Nintendo DS). But, glad for those of you who've never played it, it is a gem. And getting games like this I already have out of the way makes it more likely for releases new to me in the future. Hard to believe they didn't release this in Europe in the mid-90s! Hey, Squeenix, while you're at it, how about Final Fantasy II & III NES and V SNES? Reading about Chrono Trigger makes me wonder why they've not had a Chrono sequel in about 11 years now, since Chrono Cross on PSOne.

Marvelousmoo

Marvelousmoo said:

What is up with everything being announced for Europe now? What happened to NA?
I know, I know; its payback.
But if we don't get Xenoblade...

motang

motang said:

Such an awesome game, I can't believe Europeans never got the SNES version.

Pod

Pod said:

Oh my, the original version of Chrono Trigger, 16 years late. :9

Big_A2

Big_A2 said:

My second favourite game of all time. Between the DS and original SNES versions, I don't think I need another copy, especially a digital one.

daznsaz

daznsaz said:

does anyone know how the shop will work do you put your card details in to pay directly?

cheetahman91

cheetahman91 said:

Hopefully it'll come to NA shortly after, but after what happened to the VC last summer, I'm not going to count on it.

DrDaisy

DrDaisy said:

I hope they don't alter anything. I almost didn't buy the DS version because of the written dialogue changes.

Scarhino89

Scarhino89 said:

Chrono Trigger in France!!! Yeeaah!!! :D I already got it on DS but when Chrono Trigger is coming on European Virtual Console, I'll sell by auction the DS version.