Samus Narrates a Trip Down Metroid Memory Lane

Posted by Jon Wahlgren

Get your plot details in order before the next adventure

Well, now that Nintendo has gone ahead and hired a voice actor for the traditionally silent Metroid: Other M star Samus Aran, we suppose it makes sense that they want to make the most of her talents. What better than to let the now-verbose heroine narrate a retrospective of her adventures with space jellyfish?

Not only is it a nice summary of Metroid series events leading up to Other M (that is, Metroid, Metroid II: Return of Samus and Super Metroid), but it clues you in on the proper pronunciation of Zebes. Protip: it's not "zeebs." Thanks, years of internalized reading.

Metroid: Other M is out in North America on August 31. We'll let you know if it turns out to be a "perfect Metroid experience" in our full review.

Direct link

From the web

Punny said:

I think this was a great way to recap the Metroid saga before the release of Other M. It still is kind of strange hearing Samus talk, though.

Kid_A said:

That was very cool. Samus' voice sounds about how one would expect--cold, borderline emotionless. The voice of a bounty hunter. In any case, I still stand by my prediction that Other M is simply an anagrams for Mother

TKOWL said:

This makes me even more ashamed that I haven't played Super Metroid yet...

SKTTR said:

This is full of spoilers.

I advise you to at least beat SUPER METROID before watching this video.

Slapshot said:

SWEET VIDEO! My excitement for Other M coninues to increased by everyday. I love Metroid and its by far my favorite long running Nintendo series (with exception to Prime games). Bring it on Team Ninja!

WiiLovePeace said:

@4. In the in-game timeline the Prime subseries comes after Other M, hence it's exclusion from this leadup video. (Check wikipedia for proof )

As for Other M itself I am amazingly pumped for this game, thanks go to Nintendo for releasing it here in Australia, the day after my bday!

Mercenary55 said:

i also like how they reincarnated the end of super metroid in the with upgraded 3d graphics

Bakajin said:

I always pronounced it zeebeez, and yeah, I don't think I'll stop now.

However, zehbess sounds a hella lot better than zeebs.

childofacid said:

Looks like I was saying it right the whole time. I Still prefer to pronounce Samus' last name "Uh-Ran" not "Aaron"

SwerdMurd said:

I always pronounced it "Zebz"...I think I'll keep doing so, cause I like it.

That got me pumped though--might courtesy-play the 3 metroid games next week in anticipation...if I take any time off of Rytmik

Big_A2 said:

@4.donth8: It looks like Other M takes place right after Super Metroid, so there's no need to go over the Prime series.

MeloMan said:

I watched this on the Nintendo Channel, pretty cool trip down memory lane. I like the merging of the in game SM ending cutscene with the Metroid Other M cutscene. Dang that infernal planet named Zebes, I've always called it "zeebeez". Ah well, I still think "zeebeez" has a better ring to it that "zehbehs", but I'll conform

Tops said:

This vid makes me wish I played more (But I guess there's no time like the present to start)