Mega Man Meets Super Paper Mario

Posted by Darren Calvert

If only this were real. Might we one day see a Mega Man 2.5D?

There is no denying that Capcom’s recent NES styled Mega Man 9 was a great tribute to the series. We loved it but let’s be honest it was just treading old ground. Might Capcom try something new in the future to excite fans of the blue bomber?

If they do try something new then we hope it is along the lines of what Peter Sjostrand, a talented graphic designer has come up with. Mega Man meets Super Paper Mario and goes 2.5D – genius!

Check out the concept video below to see some of Sjostrand’s ideas in action. We especially love the 2 player co-op mode, that looks like a whole heap of fun. Please Capcom hire this guy now!

[via youtube.com]

y2josh

y2josh said:

lol noticed that myself Mr. Jong-Il. And it would be a first day buy for me.

Kim_Jong-Il

Kim_Jong-Il said:

I'd probably buy it day one too, unless it had DLC or was retail. And that's SIR Jong-Il to you, white peasant. Also, apologies for addressing your statements in reverse.

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

I saw this the other day, and must say that it looks absolutely fantastic. If the co-op was online, then I can see this being amazing. In the meantime, I'll just settle for "pretty darned brilliant".

Oh, and Capcom really need to make this.

No, wait - imagine if they announced this as their next big game at E3 this week? :D

SwerdMurd

SwerdMurd said:

/jawdrop. Seriously. Speaking as a game designer, I am absolutely agape at the level design...reminds me of when I first played Four Swords co-op. And when one independent guy gets compared to in-house Nintendo hotness (or was it Capcom?) it's definitely not bad.

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

As I said on the forum...this would instantly become my favorite Mega Man game. And I LOVE Mega Man, so that says a heck of a lot.

DazzaAdmin

Dazza said:

@cr00mz - This is a new video only uploaded yesterday... it's true the same guy put a different one up a few months or so ago thou.

Big_A2

Big_A2 said:

I've seen this ages ago but... I don't know whether this would work well.

Terra

Terra said:

Wow, that looks awesome. capcom really should hire this guys. It would make a refreshing change to the series if they did a new game like this.

Objection

Objection said:

It'd be cool to see this done professionally...(although it does look pretty professional already.)

Adam

Adam said:

It's just a concept video. I don't think it's an actual game engine but just animation. Could be wrong though. Still, it's certainly an amazing concept.

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

I added this to my youtube favorites. Only problem with the megaman franchise is their games are just too ridiculously hard for me, but this is a great concept for sure!

VALERHU

VALERHU said:

i was new to the megaman 9 series, yet it was easy for me, its probably because i played zelda link to the past when i was 6...

wanderlustwarrior

wanderlustwarrior said:

I'm actually interested, and I'm usually not interested in megaman. I hope this becomes a full game, the co-op seems pretty well done

XD375

XD375 said:

Saw the old video of this a few months ago, and saw this video a couple days ago. The official website has more screenshots for Mega Man 2.5D.

Big_A2

Big_A2 said:

@23. VALERHU: Yeah, becuase as we all know, A Link to the Past plays excatly like Mega Man. |:

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

How interesting.

Unfortunately I dislike Megaman and like Super Paper Mario...still, interesting though

Noire

Noire said:

This would be incredible. Two-player co-op? With Proto Man!? I would buy it in a heartbeat. Too bad it isn't real... I always thought Mega Man would be perfect for co-op play.