Capcom Mum Regarding Virtual Console Arcade Plans

Posted by Corbie Dillard

While Capcom has now fully admitted that they knew about the Virtual Console Arcade long before the announcement was made, they've decided to remain quiet as far as what their plans are for supporting the service.

Below is a statement made by Capcom Corporate Officer/VP of Strategic Planning & Business Development Christian Svensson regarding Capcom's thoughts on Nintendo's recent announcements at the GDC.

Code execution from SDROM we were not pre-briefed on (or at least I wasn’t). Arcade we’ve known about for a good while…I’ve got no news to share on this [Virtual Console Arcade]. Sorry. ….I’m not commenting on specific titles at this time BUT…They’ve fixed something (regarding storage) for consumers which is fantastic… the question is, does this change allow for a change in the filesize limitations that the Wiiware program has had. That was notably absent from Iwata’s keynote but is a question I will be following up on with our reps at Nintendo. I’m hopeful.

It's certainly no secret that Capcom has quite the impressive catalog of arcade titles in their vault, so it pretty much goes without saying that they'll be heavily involved with the new Virtual Console Arcade service.

Even the mere thought of playing the Ghosts & Goblins games on the Virtual Console Arcade puts quite a smile on our faces, not to mention the tons of other great Capcom titles that come to mind.

What games would you like to see Capcom bring to the Virtual Console Arcade service?

Source: GoNintendo

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

I'd say I want Progear, but I'm not sure the emulator can handle that little gem of a shooter. :)

DrakeStaff

Drake said:

Capcom is definitely the company I'd most like to see arcade games from. Gun.Smoke, Commando, the 1940 series, Buster Bros., Captain Commando and Knights of the Round please!

And of course the superior versions of Final Fight, MERCS, Ghosts 'n Goblins, Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Strider and Forgotten Worlds :p

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

I've got Ibara in the old Egret 2 right now. I love that game. Tough as freaking nails. And I like Progear, just not nearly as much as many of the other Cave shmups like Muchi Muchi Pork and Deathsmiles. :)

Kelvin

Kelvin said:

Hey, perhaps they can release some more versions of Street Fighter II! :P

MasterGH

MasterGH said:

I'd love Magic Sword to get released, as it was one of the few arcade games that I liked :) It has been on a Capcom collection before, so it has a fairly good chance, right?

AlphaNerd01

AlphaNerd01 said:

Capcom has pretty much treated us to all their arcade hits on collections, though - so I'm not too concerned.

Kawaiipikachu

Kawaiipikachu said:

Street Fighter Aplha series
Street Fighter III series
My folks most probably want 1942 & got those high scores back like thay keep telling stories about .

PRP

PRP said:

I don't understand ... in what part of the statement they said that capcom will support VC Arcade ?

Atlantis1982

Atlantis1982 said:

(Breaking my long silence, and apologies everyone from my past behavior cause he feels that SD card update was a good thing, and feels like a complete hypocrite.)

Darkstalkers, thats all.

Sharecrow

Sharecrow said:

Hmmmmm....I'm not surprised they knew and can't imagine why they wouldn't support this console while supporting others. That's just me, though.

JaredJ

JaredJ said:

I'd take Final Fight & Super Street Fighter II Turbo. Knights of the Round was pretty good too.

Chunky_Droid

Chunky_Droid said:

Street Fighter, the original, but only because I;ve never played it.

And Ghouls 'n Ghosts of course as well as Buster Bros.!

marktheshark

marktheshark said:

I would like to see:

Final Fight
Super Street Fighter II Turbo (If the 3DO version doesn't come out 1st)
Street Fighter Alpha trilogy

1941 - 19XX
Strider 1 and 2
X-Men VS Street Fighter
X-Men Children of the Atom

morphballer

morphballer said:

Much like AlphaNerd01 I'm pretty much covered with Capcom Classics Collections but they don't have any of the licensed brawlers like AvP and the D&D's. I'd love to see those on VCArcade

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@Atlantis1982: I don't honestly remember what you may have said that would have you come back in this manner (but my memory DOES suck), but as far as I'M concerned, you're welcome here. :)

@chunky_droid: You're better off getting whichever Capcom Classics Collection had that on it. That way, you get some GOOD games with it! Seriously, Street Fighter sucked, and I'm amazed they made a sequel for it at all.

@TwistedVivid: Ha ha ha...

I see Marvel vs. Capcom is a popular choice. As the voice of realism, I remind you all that it'll never happen. The Marvel licences are worth too much now due to the slew of movies and whatnot. I've been proven wrong before, and wouldn't mind that happening again in this case, but don't get your hopes up...

Due to the aforementioned collections, there's not really anything I'd want to download from Capcom on here. It'd be cool if SEGA releases the GOOD version of Golden Axe for those who don't have 360's, though. I doubt I'll get much use out of VC Arcade personally.

KnucklesSonic8

KnucklesSonic8 said:

Nothing specifically I want badly, really. Whatever they end up releasing I'll give a further look into it and decide for myself if its worth taking a bite at.

7th_lutz

7th_lutz said:

There is really nothing much I want from Capcom. I already have the two Capcom Classics Collection games for the PS 2.

I would like to Konami's Virtual Console Arcade plans more than Capcom's.

Objection

Objection said:

"MARVEL VS. CAPCOM!!! gets hit in kidney"
It'd be worth it if they actually put it on VC-A. Donno if that's possible though.

The_Fox

The_Fox said:

@post 14:
Yes! Darkstalkers was always one of my favorite fighters, even if it wasn't overly deep.

Also, regarding those hoping for Marvel vs. Capcom, isn't a port of MvC2 supposed to hit Xbox live arcade, or was that just a rumor?

The_Fox

The_Fox said:

I'd like to see Capcom release;
Cannon Spike
Armored Warriors
Buster Bros.
Both Saturday Night Slam Masters
The Punisher (highly unlikely)
Aliens v. Predator (highly unlikely)
Both D&D arcade titles (highly unlikely)
Red Earth (it kinda sucks, but I like it)
U.N Squadron (the SNES version would work as well)
Warriors of Fate

Chunky_Droid

Chunky_Droid said:

I'd actually like the SF Alpha series as well as SF Zero too.

All Ghouls 'n Ghosts games are welcome, and Final Fight would be awesome!

Captain_Konami

Captain_Konami said:

Ah, I had forgotten about Buster Bros. I rather enjoyed that in the arcade back in the day. I think it's get old pretty quick on me these days, but I'd probably still download it when available.

And like others have said, Final Fight and Ghosts games...... these are must haves for anyone who can afford to download a VC Arcade game (assuming they do indeed become available.....and before our sun goes cold..... :) ).

Atlantis1982

Atlantis1982 said:

Stuffgamer1

I was pretty much telling everyone that there is really no good reason to complain about 1 game weeks, and there is no need for a storage solution. I still agree with the latter, but I am starting to get annoyed with the 1 game a week crap especially with so many potential content that can be released.

Again, I just want my Darkstalker (Mainly Vampire Lords) loving.

But the developing company I REALLY want to see is Konami; yeah...TMNT.

KeeperBvK

KeeperBvK said:

"I'd actually like the SF Alpha series as well as SF Zero too."

They're the same. Zero is just the Japanese name. ^^

Bensei

Bensei said:

They are not from Capcom, but I hope for Spin Masters and Puzzle Bobble (doesn't matter if Arcade, neo Geo or SNES).

Mario kart Arcade GP 1&2 or F-Zero AX would also be cool, but I guess those games are too big

Chunky_Droid

Chunky_Droid said:

@KeeperBvK: I had a cabinet at my local arcade with Street Fighter Zero in it and assumed it was different. Geez that's a complicated series of games.

Charco

Charco said:

Street Fighter Alpha Series, Marvel Super Heroes, Marvel vs Capcom, Street Fighter III Third Strike (hope it's possible to emulate the CPS3 board)

Jon2

Jon2 said:

Capcom will support the VC-arcade service. No doubt. I think we will see a lot more games from them on arcade than on the other systems.

Eva

Eva said:

Captain Comando would be great. I'd also like to see Final Fight.
then lots of Street Fighter goodness. The Alpha and SFIII games and Super Turbo would be greatley appreciated. Of course Hyper Street Fighter II got an arcade relese too...

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

Give me all your CPS1 and CPS2 games (except sadly the lincensed ones like Cadilacs and Dinosaurs, Alien vs Predator and a few others, I sadly assume) and I will be one very happy Wii and HORI Fighting Stick owner! I will pay >anything< for Strider!

DDR_Paladin356

DDR_Paladin356 said:

Strider, Aliens vs. Predator. I would say SF...but I have my fix of SF on other systems...so we'll go ahead and say Darkstalkers!

Turtles89

Turtles89 said:

Final Fight, Captain Commando, Knights of the Round, and The King of Dragons would all rule. Of course, FInal Fight by itself would be worth all of the others put together. It would be awesome if Capcom would just put out Capcom Classics 1 and 2 for the Wii.

That_Guy_from_Faxana

That_Guy_from_Faxana said:

If Capcom decides to release Arcade titles, it will probably be from their early days, just like Namco´s offer. Chances are high that we will see games from Capcom Arcade Classics vol 1 &2. Since I only own #2, games like Final Fight and Son Son would be great news.

If I can dream, unported games like Aliens vs Predator and Red Earth would be fantastic. But like many have pointed out, very unlikely.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

Isn't Pang/Buster Bros. from Mitchell or does Capcom own them? I'd love the whole series: Pang!, Super Pang!, Pang 3 and Mighty Pang!

Capcom-badged stuff would have to be Magic Sword and Final Fight (I have Bare Knuckle II/Streets of Rage 2 on the Japanese Wii and SNK Arcade Classics has a side-scrolling beat-em-up, but Final Fight is the definitive one) and any licensed games of a similar vein, though I seriously doubt any games with licensed tie-ins (that includes the Simpsons game everyone keeps mentioning) will see the light of day on the VCA, any more than we'll see Ducktales for the NES get released.

UN Squadron would also be welcome; Street Fighter I think I had my fill of; besides I prefer King of Fighters (puts on asbestos pants).

Atlantis1982

Atlantis1982 said:

Okay, Puzzle Fighter 2 is a good one as well. Beat-em-ups; need MORE beat-em-ups! (Not fighter games, games like Final Fight).

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

Darkstalkers and Street Fighter Alpha are my 2 favorite Capcom arcade fighters and i would also like to see Cadillacs and Dinosaurs if they can get the liscense again.

Chunky_Droid

Chunky_Droid said:

@Sean Aaron: It's from Mitchell, but Capcom owns the NA rights to the game. Not sure about the situation these days though.

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

"Code execution from SDROM we were not pre-briefed on (or at least I wasn’t)."

Hmmm, the creators of MAME seem to have it figured out years ago. I find it ironic that Capcom doesn't.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@The Fox post #31: It was a rumor based entirely on an ESRB rating. Given the crap with Earthbound, I refuse to believe that it's really an indication of any forthcoming releases. We can still HOPE, but it's not very likely, so it'd be best to refrain from the expecting kind of hope.

@Atlantis1982 post #35: Oh yeah, I remember that now. Well, I do try to be a forgiving guy, so it's all cool. Anyway, this new update makes one of those points (if not both) moot. Huzzah for destroyed argument causes! :D

If you can believe it's possible, I sort of agree with both sides on the one-game week thing. Fewer games can be good or bad depending on a variety of circumstances. I've got plenty to play now that the solution let me download games I refused to bother with beforehand, anyway. And I'm just getting back to Mother 3 now that my handbook came in. :D
The only thing I ever REALLY hated was one-game weeks where the one game was considered by the VAST majority to be crap. cough*Enduro Racer*cough

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

@Relevant Latty: I'd love to see that as well. My best hope seemed to be the excellent Megadrive port before this news, but Snow Bros. is Toaplan -- who owns the rights to their stuff?

Let me add 1942 to my list and Commando.

The_Fox

The_Fox said:

@ post56. Stuffgamer1
Damn internet and its rumors! Get my hopes up, will it? Oh well, I guess it could still happen.
@post53. Relevant Latty
Oh, man I loved Snow Bros in the arcade! As has been mentioned, the Genesis/Megadrive version was pretty good, so I guess that would work too.

Kafei2006

Kafei2006 said:

@7th Lutz> I agree completely ! What i'd like to see from Konali :

-Xexex (my top choice, was available in Europe so there are chances)
-Sexy Parodius (Not much chance considering it was never released outside Japan)
-Twinbee Yahoo (No Comment here)

Yeah all shooters ^^ !

tatemon555

tatemon555 said:

@TwilightV: No, not a hit over the head. Actually, maybe, but if this did get out of Japan somehow, I will be crying tears of joy, and lots of them.

Kirk

Kirk said:

There are seriously so many great arcade games I wouldn't even know where to start.

Seriously. Go to any site that does MAME games and look through the list of hundreds of great arcade classics.

said:

Umm, I guess I'd want them to add anything that wasn't present in Capcom Classics Collection 1, Capcom Classics Collection 2, Street Fighter Anniversary Collection, and Street Fighter Alpha Anthology, since any self-respecting Capcom fan either owns those or intends to get them at some point. :P

I'm also totally exempt from caring about all three of Arthur's expeditions, Strider, and all of Street Fighter! It's great for people who want to pick one to four of their favorite Capcom arcade games and somehow don't give a damn about Capcom's history, great extras, and hard copies they can play on any compatible system, but since I already own about 50 of Capcom's arcade games, I only care about the stuff they haven't released yet.

They did a great job on their collections though, so there's not much to ask for. Still, there's a few. :P

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

When they start doing their mid-90s games, I'd like to see Rival Schools.

slangman

slangman said:

I wouldn't mind seeing Forgotten Worlds or Street Fighter Alpha 3. Strider would be cool too. :)

AUnkownFuture

AUnkownFuture said:

one game id like to see from capcom would be cadillacs and dinosaurs best 3 player game for me i remember playing it in a pub and i thought it would be good if capcom put cadillacs and dionsaurs on the VCA

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

Forgotten Worlds and Strider would be great; as would Strider 2.

I think the wiimote twist would be excellent for replacing the knob action -- it would be the first time I've been able to play it with the same kind of action as the arcade (on MAME I've restored to using buttons for rotate-left/right and it's just not the same).

MaxPlastic

MaxPlastic said:

... I already have all the Capcom Classics Collections... So I'll be waiting awhile until they release a game I DON'T have

Rapadash6

Rapadash6 said:

All I can think of from this is, "Great!! Even more Street Fighter games!" Of course it would be nice to have the arcade version of Super Turbo, as no home version was ever available on any of the Virtual Consoles before.

Ricardo91

Ricardo91 said:

The only Capcom aracde game I can think of that I'd want is Puzzle Fighter II and Buster Bros. Any other ones I can think of I can get on the value-priced Capcom Classics Collection.

sega_nerd

sega_nerd said:

As much i like to see Capcom bringing in the games i want to hear from Konami and Sega even more.

Egg_miester

Egg_miester said:

i am close to giving up on capcom now they pull this, i would like marvel vs capcom 2, x men vs street fighter, strider, captain commando, cadillacs and dinosaurs

Clayfrd

Clayfrd said:

@#36 - Ha!

@RADE - Just because Capcom has "cap" in it that doesn't mean you have to type that way.