Forums

Topic: Wii U is safe from the NX!? Seems to be true

Posts 281 to 300 of 582

martinskrtel37

Nintendo are unique that's all you have to remember. You can't really tie them down to patterns. You can try and say "they said the DS would be different to the GB family but look what happened!!!!" but that was 10 years ago and simply doesn't compare to now. The fact is the NX family will be a different family to the 3DS and Wii U. I am pretty excited to see the next step Nintendo make. They're going to really try and branch out in a way that'll probably scare a lot of you kids, but it'll mean a much bigger Nintendo globally, not just in Japan.

Octane wrote:

everyone needs to relax and enjoy the games that are released today and stop worrying what Nintendo will do in a year or two from now.

3DS Friend Code: 0130-1906-5039 | Nintendo Network ID: martinskrtel37

shaneoh

martinskrtel37 wrote:

They're going to really try and branch out in a way that'll probably scare a lot of you kids, but it'll mean a much bigger Nintendo globally, not just in Japan.

Us old folk are meant to be the ones scared of change

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

Octane

SCAR392 wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

It was already confirmed that NX won't be replacing Wii U or 3DS; the first day it announced along with the DeNA collaboration.

Totally mate, just like the NES wasn't replaced by the SNES, which in turn wasn't replaced by the N64, which also wasn't replaced by the Gamecube, which didn't take a dive upon the launch of the Wii, which didn't gather dust after the Wii U game out. The Wii U, obviously, will be around forever, undoubtedly. No one understands that, they're just all so stupid!

We smart people, however, can sit tall, enjoying our ever expanding N64 and 3DO libraries while all the idiots wait for the next system. Pah! Never gonna happen!

I'm not sure if your joking one way or the other, but those consoles were supposed to replace the past one, and they announced it specifically that way, while something like NX was announced not to and there's other things they can do with a new console besides just upgrading specs.

Otherwise, I definitely have my Sega CD and 32X system hooked up with multiple Game Genies in the cartridge slot, waiting for Sonic CD 2 to come out.

I'm pretty sure he was sarcastic, but serious. Nintendo said before that their next system isn't going to replace another, and in the end it does. Also, there's no way Nintendo will be able to support three systems on its own.

Octane

Haru17

Octane wrote:

I'm pretty sure he was sarcastic, but serious. Nintendo said before that their next system isn't going to replace another, and in the end it does. Also, there's no way Nintendo will be able to support three systems on its own.

Yep, pretty much this.

Also, guys, that sarcasm wasn't particularly subtle. In fact, I literally could not make it any more blatant. Did you miss the part where I futility ignored my own inevitable mortality as a metaphor to the eventual demise of all hardware generations? (and particular cards on PC.) Frankly, I'm quite hurt, I put a lot of work into that XD.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Azooooz

Wow, you guys rush to the conclusion faster than Sonic himself. All we know that NX is a hardware, but is it a replacement for Wii U or 3DS or both? We don't know that answer yet.

The speculations in this thread is getting spiral out of control. I'm so sad to see some people who don't think properly.

NX could be a peripheral, or a third pillar of gaming. If you look at the diagram of last month's shareholders' meeting, NX clearly stands next to Wii U and 3DS. That's what I understood from the diagram.

Making promise is easy. The hard part is keeping it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3533-1743-6611 | 3DS Friend Code: 5069-3944-7877 | My Nintendo: azooooz | Nintendo Network ID: desert_king_Q8

Haruki_NLI

Azooooz wrote:

Wow, you guys rush to the conclusion faster than Sonic himself. All we know that NX is a hardware, but is it a replacement for Wii U or 3DS or both? We don't know that answer yet.

The speculations in this thread is getting spiral out of control. I'm so sad to see some people who don't think properly.

NX could be a peripheral, or a third pillar of gaming. If you look at the diagram of last month's shareholders' meeting, NX clearly stands next to Wii U and 3DS. That's what I understood from the diagram.

This. I don't think this console is a replacement either. It's standing in the infographic as a separate thing. All under the dedicated platform too. This includes phones, tablets, PCs, 3DS, Wii U and whatever the NX is, all under one program. I'm not sure what the NX is, but I don't think it's a replacement. It makes sense for them to want to shift development to it, since it's a new thing, but it's also not the end of the Wii U. And if it is a replacement I think Nintendo would go for keeping the Wii U alive until the NX is firmly routed.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

CaviarMeths

Octane wrote:

If they've combined their console and handheld software teams and are really working towards making scalable software compatible with multiple form factors, it might not actually be that hard.

As long as the hardware is sold at profit, anyway.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

rallydefault

Well... it would kind of be bad business practice for Nintendo to start yelling "Abandon ship!!" a full year before the NX launches. Not good for morale and all that, ya know? Just like any good relationship, they want to string the consumer along, trickle a few more games to them to keep them on board buying margaritas, and then spring the new product on them at the last possible moment - bwhahahah.

@ UGXwolf
And sorry, dude - you're wrong again. This IS a contest. You can't run a race by yourself, my friend. Why the heck do you think Sega "dropped out" and is now only making software? It's because, rather harshly, they realized it IS a contest, and the weak can't survive for long, even if they do have reserve cash in the bank. You can't just keep bleeding money, put a smile on, and say, "Well, we still have fans out there, so we'll just keep making hardware no matter what!" It doesn't work that way. (Yes, I know, Nintendo isn't currently losing money, but they were just a short bit ago, and for awhile before that.)

You're just so wrong on the basics of these concepts, but you stubbornly refuse to admit it. So I'll just say this - I love you, man, but I just can't be bothered with your comments anymore. Go take an economics class.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

Octane

CaviarMeths wrote:

Octane wrote:

If they've combined their console and handheld software teams and are really working towards making scalable software compatible with multiple form factors, it might not actually be that hard.

As long as the hardware is sold at profit, anyway.

True, it's definitely possible. However, I meant three distinctly separate consoles, like the situation has always been with Nintendo: different software for both their handheld and home console. Well, but then for three consoles, that's definitely not going to happen.

Octane

Sean_Aaron

I don't think UGXwolf is saying Nintendo are going to support Wii U forever, he's just saying they aren't going to release NX and pull the plug at the same time. It may well be that they move all dev focus away from Wii U, but I expect they'll continue releases beyond the point of NX release, even if the content is VC/eShop and/or has been finished but delayed to ensure there's still stuff for people to buy on the system. There is no advantage to Nintendo in giving the impression the machine has been completely abandoned, even if their strategy has moved away from it. I do think if NX fails to gain traction then Nintendo is done making gaming hardware, outside of peripherals.

BLOG, mail: [email protected]
Nintendo ID: sean.aaron

UGXwolf

rallydefault wrote:

Well... it would kind of be bad business practice for Nintendo to start yelling "Abandon ship!!" a full year before the NX launches. Not good for morale and all that, ya know? Just like any good relationship, they want to string the consumer along, trickle a few more games to them to keep them on board buying margaritas, and then spring the new product on them at the last possible moment - bwhahahah.

@ UGXwolf
And sorry, dude - you're wrong again. This IS a contest. You can't run a race by yourself, my friend. Why the heck do you think Sega "dropped out" and is now only making software? It's because, rather harshly, they realized it IS a contest, and the weak can't survive for long, even if they do have reserve cash in the bank. You can't just keep bleeding money, put a smile on, and say, "Well, we still have fans out there, so we'll just keep making hardware no matter what!" It doesn't work that way. (Yes, I know, Nintendo isn't currently losing money, but they were just a short bit ago, and for awhile before that.)

You're just so wrong on the basics of these concepts, but you stubbornly refuse to admit it. So I'll just say this - I love you, man, but I just can't be bothered with your comments anymore. Go take an economics class.

Competition exists due to scarcity, but at the end, all that really matter is that you're gaining, rather than losing. Who has the most isn't important.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

UGXwolf

Sean_Aaron wrote:

I don't think UGXwolf is saying Nintendo are going to support Wii U forever, he's just saying they aren't going to release NX and pull the plug at the same time. It may well be that they move all dev focus away from Wii U, but I expect they'll continue releases beyond the point of NX release, even if the content is VC/eShop and/or has been finished but delayed to ensure there's still stuff for people to buy on the system. There is no advantage to Nintendo in giving the impression the machine has been completely abandoned, even if their strategy has moved away from it. I do think if NX fails to gain traction then Nintendo is done making gaming hardware, outside of peripherals.

I wouldn't put it past Nintendo to pull all relevant support from the U when a new home console comes out. We still don't know that the NX is a home console.

Bolt_Strike

Sean_Aaron wrote:

Well they never really do, it's not as if they just flip a switch and then it goes straight from one gen to the next, the last gen system usually sees a little bit of support that wanes and eventually dies out about a year or two into the next gen's lifespan. However it typically does lose the public's attention once the successor comes out.

I suspect that because of the new framework the Wii U will see quite a few cross gen titles with the NX, so Wii U owners that don't feel they've gotten enough out of their purchase can see some support.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Haru17

Grumblevolcano wrote:

Nintendo has only just started talking with 3rd parties about NX.

http://gonintendo.com/stories/237237-report-nintendo-started-...

If Nintendo learned from their mistakes this means 2016 release is out of the question.

So, what? Either they delay Zelda U all the way to November 2017 or take a whole new generation on the same dive under the bus? Hmm.

And again, because this point apparently has to be addressed to the pedants among us, 'NX' is a nice pseudonym for the new console. Like I've said before, even it it turns out that the 'NX' is the 'Tetris Toaster,' there will still be a new console and the 'NX' will still have been a convenient term to refer to it by.

Edited on by Haru17

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

dumedum

The next console will be released holiday 2017 at the earliest but could go into 2018, which means discussing it now is a bit premature. There will be Wii U titles both in 2016 and 2017 and probably Indies and the likes in 2018. No reason why Wii U won't continue to sell more than 3 million a year making GC numbers at the end.

"Dubs Goes to Washington: The Video Game".

Nintendo Network ID: Del_Piero_Mamba

UGXwolf

Grumblevolcano wrote:

Nintendo has only just started talking with 3rd parties about NX.

http://gonintendo.com/stories/237237-report-nintendo-started-...

If Nintendo learned from their mistakes this means 2016 release is out of the question.

The thing that strikes me about this comment is that people seem to have forgotten. Nintendo DID have 3rd party support at the beginning of the generation, and nearly all of it was a weak attempt. After Nintendo's fallout with EA and the rather weak year that followed, Nintendo lost ALL of their 3rd party support that they could. I've said it before and I'll say it again and again and again and again. 3rd Parties don't want to compete against Nintendo on Nintendo's own system. That goes double when the install base hardly justifies AAA development costs. Nintendo can't really get third party support to stick unless they lay off or make that install base really count. As we all appear to be assuming that the Wii U is failing due to lack of 3rd parties (I disagree, and there's so many other reasons, but we'll roll with this, for now.), 3rd parties are gonna have to step up to bat, if they want Nintendo consoles to be a profitable place for them.

Thing is, at the end of the day 3rd parties won't come back until Nintendo releases a console that does three (or four) things:
1) It needs to be powerful (GameCube nailed this one. Too bad that install base wasn't worth sneezing at for most AAA devs.)
2) It needs to have a huge install base. (The Wii had no trouble, here, but the other two conditions weren't met.)
3) It needs a standard controller. (The Wii U has one, but the first two conditions get in the way.)
( 4) It needs to rely on 3rd party devs at first with minimal Nintendo support until later.)

Number four is the point I wanna focus on right now, as the others are mostly self-explanatory. Here's the scenario I have in mind when I think of that. Nintendo supports the Wii U right through 'til the end, and when the NX drops (if it's a home console, which most of the nay sayers in here seem to think has been confirmed when it hasn't), Nintendo takes their inevitable end-cycle lull WHILE MAKING SURE 3RD PARTIES ARE ON BOARD. Nintendo supports the system with quick-n-easy titles that won't completely ruin 3rd party dreams and then and only then will they be able to have a fully supported console ready for launch.

That end-cycle lull, by the way, is unavoidable for ALL companies. Sony just has the advantage of 3rd parties backing them fully to cover that gap. (I still feel that makes no argument for a console when I can get the same games cheaper and better on my PC (with a number of notable exceptions), but if people wanna deny that fact, they may feel free to.)

Perhaps the reason we disagree so heavily is that I see the PS4 software schedule and the Wii U software schedule and I see that PS4 is actually taking LONGER to get games out because I don't see 3rd party multiplats. If I can get it on PC, I almost certainly won't be getting it on PS4.

skywake

UGXwolf wrote:

Competition exists due to scarcity, but at the end, all that really matter is that you're gaining, rather than losing. Who has the most isn't important.

Yeah, this is something people don't seem to want to understand. Both with Nintendo's portables in the face of mobile competition and their home consoles in the face of Sony/MS. It's business not sport. Winning of course is nice because it means they're potentially getting more money out of it. But ultimately it's about whether they're making money or not and what they can do to make more of it.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Grumblevolcano

skywake wrote:

UGXwolf wrote:

Yeah, this is something people don't seem to want to understand. Both with Nintendo's portables in the face of mobile competition and their home consoles in the face of Sony/MS. It's business not sport. Winning of course is nice because it means they're potentially getting more money out of it. But ultimately it's about whether they're making money or not and what they can do to make more of it.

I agree which is why more garbage games like Amiibo Festival will happen. That game has no meaning but it gives Nintendo a way to further the amiibo craze.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

skywake

Grumblevolcano wrote:

I agree which is why more garbage games like Amiibo Festival will happen. That game has no meaning but it gives Nintendo a way to further the amiibo craze.

Yeah, and it's the same reason why we get a lot of the great content also. It cuts both ways.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.