Forums

Topic: Wii U is safe from the NX!? Seems to be true

Posts 301 to 320 of 582

UGXwolf

Grumblevolcano wrote:

skywake wrote:

UGXwolf wrote:

Competition exists due to scarcity, but at the end, all that really matter is that you're gaining, rather than losing. Who has the most isn't important.

Yeah, this is something people don't seem to want to understand. Both with Nintendo's portables in the face of mobile competition and their home consoles in the face of Sony/MS. It's business not sport. Winning of course is nice because it means they're potentially getting more money out of it. But ultimately it's about whether they're making money or not and what they can do to make more of it.

I agree which is why more garbage games like Amiibo Festival will happen. That game has no meaning but it gives Nintendo a way to further the amiibo craze.

We've only seen one part of a free game in action. Hard to call it garbage when it's both free and we know next to NOTHING about it.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

Araquanid

I personally never played an animal crossing game, so I may be completely wrong voicing my opinion on this.. however I have played mario party 6, and let me say this game to me looks like a massive downgrade, pay to play title in comparison to a seperate franchise game. It may turn out good, but I don't know how exactly.. the big question is what will it offer that mario party 6 didn't? As right now, it's the opposite since Mario Party 6 atleast had minigames.

Will it live up to AC standards? Idk, never played AC.. however judging what the game actually is, a mario party spinoff title with AC characters and themes, it wouldn't live up to mario party standards. I'm not going to be interested in trying the game out, but I never was sold in the AC franchise in general, my opinion on the matter is rather moot, but from what I saw, the title definitely doesn't catch my interest, unlike MPFF which atleast has the core metroid prime gameplay to it, just people don't like the themes and graphics and the long series silence for a spin off to only come out (which personally I don't mind).

Edited on by Araquanid

3DS FC: 0774-5098-1425
Pokemon Sun IGN: Joe
My Shinies
(User name changed in November 2016, MegaBeedrill)

3DS Friend Code: 0774-5098-1425 | Nintendo Network ID: FreakyMantis17 | Twitter:

Bolt_Strike

MegaBeedrill wrote:

unlike MPFF which atleast has the core metroid prime gameplay to it, just people don't like the themes and graphics and the long series silence for a spin off to only come out (which personally I don't mind).

Core Metroid gameplay? Like what, being a first person shooter? Because other than that there isn't much gameplay wise that ties FF to the rest of the Metroid series. Most of the iconic abilities are gone. You complete missions in a tiny arena instead of exploring vast areas. It's team based instead of single player. The game really is a completely different FPS game with the Metroid brand slapped onto it.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Araquanid

@Bolt_strike may I remind you of how we used to argue blast ball looked very metroidy before it's metroid title reveal? And now you're going to say it's nothing like metroid? I don't understand your stance on the matter when you were clearly supporting the potential of a metroid spin-off title from the blast ball gameplay..

However to support my own stance,

bolt_strike wrote:

Most of the iconic abilities are gone.

RIP morph ball, I guess I should hate halo reach for removing dual weilding. Or perhaps some zelda games for lacking the ocarina or other items.

bolt_strike wrote:

You complete missions in a tiny arena instead of exploring vast areas.

Whether or not this can turn out as enjoyable, is yet to be seen. A tech demo isn't exactly a good representation of what final map designs are meant to look like. If it's enjoyable, then it works out fine.

bolt_strike wrote:

It's team based instead of single player.

Single Player was confirmed. Moving on.

bolt_strike wrote:

Like what, being a first person shooter? Because other than that there isn't much gameplay wise that ties FF to the rest of the Metroid series.

The game controls like metroid prime, has characters of metroid prime, and as I can quote from many people prior to reveal, feels like metroid prime even from the blast ball footage. If they try something new for the game with missions, it may work out in the end.. afterall, the game doesn't have to perfectly represent a sequel to existing games because:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Option 3: It's a spinoff. The gameplay is different, but it definitely fits within the Metroid universe and retain many of the same elements.

Page 2 quote of the MPFF thread
In which, it retains all, except morph ball and freedom of exploration/back tracking. Graphical design is argueable, however wind waker taught us that is a two way street, and SFZ has seen graphical improvement since fans bashed that for design, showing that this isn't going to be everything's final textures.

IMO, it feels and looks very much like a core metroid game, and if I can see and comprehend that, then many others open minded can as well.

Edited on by Araquanid

My Shinies

3DS Friend Code: 0774-5098-1425 | Nintendo Network ID: FreakyMantis17 | Twitter:

Haru17

Yeah, if Federation Force is combat-focused like Hunters it's lacking the core Metroidvania puzzley elements and is just not a Metroid game in the same way that the core Metroid games are Metroid games. It's not a 2D like Fusion, it's not well crafted like the Primes, it's just a spinoff, like Hunters and Pinball.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Araquanid

I don't believe hunters was considered a spin-off, it was a core series metroid game. The only spin-off in the metroid series was pinball. Zero mission would just be a remake of the original metroid with an expanded post-game, rather than a spin-off like I see some people have brought up.

Edited on by Araquanid

My Shinies

Bolt_Strike

MegaBeedrill wrote:

@Bolt_strike may I remind you of how we used to argue blast ball looked very metroidy before it's metroid title reveal? And now you're going to say it's nothing like metroid? I don't understand your stance on the matter when you were clearly supporting the potential of a metroid spin-off title from the blast ball gameplay.

It's fine when it's a fun little distraction that's not trying to substitute the main experience, but not when it's a poor man's version of the main gameplay trying to paint itself as a spinoff. It's a similar situation to Sonic Boom, they took out all of the qualities that made the games great and tried to pass it off as a "spinoff", but the fanbase knew better.

MegaBeedrill wrote:

RIP morph ball, I guess I should hate halo reach for removing dual weilding. Or perhaps some zelda games for lacking the ocarina or other items.

Except it's not just the Morph Ball. It's the Morph Ball, all of its upgrades (Bombs, Boost Ball, Spider Ball, Power Bombs), Grapple Beam, pretty much everything except the Beam weapons and Missiles. At which point the series loses all of what sets its abilities apart from other shooters.

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

UGXwolf

@MegaBeeDrill Of course Amiibo Party looks sparse. They only showed us one mode of the game. From what has been said and shown, it appears to not be just a Mario Party game with an Animal Crossing skin. Any judgement you could make of the game, AC fan or not, would fall completely flat until we know more about the game.

@Bolt_Strike That's not why Sonic Boom was bad. Sonic Boom was bad because it was broken in some of the most fundamental ways. If it hadn't been so horribly broken, it might've stood a chance, and certainly it wouldn't have nearly as bad a reputation as it does.

Haru17

MegaBeedrill wrote:

I don't believe hunters was considered a spin-off, it was a core series metroid game. The only spin-off in the metroid series was pinball. Zero mission would just be a remake of the original metroid with an expanded post-game, rather than a spin-off like I see some people have brought up.

Every review called it too combat focused for a Metroid game. The exact same way Federation Force seems to be.

Hendesu

Can we just admit that the Wii U is not safe from the Wii U? The Wii U sales are bad and the lack of 3rd makes the Wii U look uninteresting for a console to own.

Some random dude on Nintendo Life.
Toriel left for a while, so Freaky Fred took over her place!
Not changing this part of the signature until Nintendo announces Super Mario Sunshine 2.
[Started 10/31/15]

Nintendo Network ID: DarkSperow

rallydefault

NightmareEater wrote:

Can we just admit that the Wii U is not safe from the Wii U? The Wii U sales are bad and the lack of 3rd makes the Wii U look uninteresting for a console to own.

These people won't admit anything. It's an internet forum. Everyone is right about everything. They can never be wrong.

According to some, the Wii U has two (or more!) "full" years of games left. They are, of course, correct.

According to others (including me), the Wii U is in its last, sputtering year of infrequent, borderline-nonexistent software releases after the 2015 holiday season. We are, of course, also correct.

You see? It's a lovely system.

rallydefault

Bolt_Strike

UGXwolf wrote:

@Bolt_Strike That's not why Sonic Boom was bad. Sonic Boom was bad because it was broken in some of the most fundamental ways. If it hadn't been so horribly broken, it might've stood a chance, and certainly it wouldn't have nearly as bad a reputation as it does.

Oh trust me, the glitches were the least of Boom's problems, that was just icing on the cake. Even when the game was first shown off Sonic fans were skeptical after putting up with years of games that watered down the speed. Once we saw the game at E3, the fanbase was already starting to write it off, and it just got worse and worse from there. Now of course FF is probably not going to be that much of a broken mess and have a slightly better reputation, but fanbases do not like being trolled with those kinds of spinoffs. Especially when they're waiting on the next core experience.

Bolt_Strike

AceDefective

rallydefault wrote:

NightmareEater wrote:

These people won't admit anything. It's an internet forum. Everyone is right about everything. They can never be wrong.

According to some, the Wii U has two (or more!) "full" years of games left. They are, of course, correct.

According to others (including me), the Wii U is in its last, sputtering year of infrequent, borderline-nonexistent software releases after the 2015 holiday season. We are, of course, also correct.

You seem to be missing one small detail as to why both details are correct, and why the thread is still going: we have no idea what NX actually is, aside from it being a supposed "third pillar" from the both the Wii U and 3DS.
We have no idea if this talk of "third pillar" is PR talk for: "We are launching this new device but if in the case it does not do well we can fall back the other two devices still going" or if its a legit third platform.
Also "bad sales" are kind of moot point considering sales are increasing (just not hugely), and even then if anything the 3DS is definitely losing steam quickly alongside the "killer titles" pool drying up.

Just some random loser who loves a variety of things.
Youtube Channel | Deviant ART | YoYo Games account |

3DS Friend Code: 2079-6493-1326 | Nintendo Network ID: ZeroZX_Dev | Twitter:

Haru17

If the 'NX,' or anything else, becomes a real 'third platform,' Nintendo will need to amputate yet another platform least their whole body of platform suffer. Unless, of course, they can make their software bridge the Wii U and that third platform. And in that case it's not truly a third platform.

rallydefault

ZeroZX-Dev wrote:

rallydefault wrote:

NightmareEater wrote:

You seem to be missing one small detail as to why both details are correct, and why the thread is still going: we have no idea what NX actually is, aside from it being a supposed "third pillar" from the both the Wii U and 3DS.
We have no idea if this talk of "third pillar" is PR talk for: "We are launching this new device but if in the case it does not do well we can fall back the other two devices still going" or if its a legit third platform.
Also "bad sales" are kind of moot point considering sales are increasing (just not hugely), and even then if anything the 3DS is definitely losing steam quickly alongside the "killer titles" pool drying up.

I had no idea we didn't know what the NX is! So THAT'S what I've been doing wrong all this time...

rallydefault

Sean_Aaron

@UGXwolf I can see your point and I hope that anyone who has observed Nintendo's history can agree that the biggest problem with third parties on Nintendo hardware is that Nintendo fans favour Nintendo software. This has ALWAYS been true. But once Nintendo stopped dominating the market in the Playstation era, third parties had other places to go and now they can afford to ignore Nintendo completely. Nintendo, on the other hand can't really afford to take a step back for third parties as you suggest. With the current gen of platforms they're taking a loss on hardware for the first time, but even before then their primary revenue stream has always been software. I cannot see them taking a gamble on new kit and leaving it up to 3rd parties to attract a wider audience; especially when that audience, if they like games, will already have a Playstation and or an Xbox that would be able to play whatever title is released on the NX (assuming it's competing in the same space, which I rather doubt).

I just cannot see that happening. Software overlap between NX and Wii U is a possibility, however. I suspect that NX will be a sufficiently different experience that it won't neatly replace the Wii U. I think Nintendo is done making traditional consoles and I don't think the NX will be x86 based or in any way made to directly compete with Sony or Microsoft.

BLOG, mail: [email protected]
Nintendo ID: sean.aaron

AceDefective

rallydefault wrote:

ZeroZX-Dev wrote:

rallydefault wrote:

NightmareEater wrote:

I had no idea we didn't know what the NX is! So THAT'S what I've been doing wrong all this time...

All in day's/night/whatever work for Captain Obvious! The harbinger of common sense.

Just some random loser who loves a variety of things.
Youtube Channel | Deviant ART | YoYo Games account |

3DS Friend Code: 2079-6493-1326 | Nintendo Network ID: ZeroZX_Dev | Twitter:

rallydefault

ZeroZX-Dev wrote:

rallydefault wrote:

ZeroZX-Dev wrote:

rallydefault wrote:

NightmareEater wrote:

All in day's/night/whatever work for Captain Obvious! The harbinger of common sense.

rallydefault

UGXwolf

Sean_Aaron wrote:

@UGXwolf I can see your point and I hope that anyone who has observed Nintendo's history can agree that the biggest problem with third parties on Nintendo hardware is that Nintendo fans favour Nintendo software. This has ALWAYS been true. But once Nintendo stopped dominating the market in the Playstation era, third parties had other places to go and now they can afford to ignore Nintendo completely. Nintendo, on the other hand can't really afford to take a step back for third parties as you suggest. With the current gen of platforms they're taking a loss on hardware for the first time, but even before then their primary revenue stream has always been software. I cannot see them taking a gamble on new kit and leaving it up to 3rd parties to attract a wider audience; especially when that audience, if they like games, will already have a Playstation and or an Xbox that would be able to play whatever title is released on the NX (assuming it's competing in the same space, which I rather doubt).

I just cannot see that happening. Software overlap between NX and Wii U is a possibility, however. I suspect that NX will be a sufficiently different experience that it won't neatly replace the Wii U. I think Nintendo is done making traditional consoles and I don't think the NX will be x86 based or in any way made to directly compete with Sony or Microsoft.

I can't remember my exact wording and don't wanna go back and re-read my comment, so just assume and discrepancies between this post and that were me not getting the right wording, the first time.

I said all that as an idea of how Nintendo could get 3rd parties back, but as I recall I made a lot of mentions of assuming things. That's because anyone that does a quick analysis can see that the Wii U HAD third party support at launch. We complained about it and said it was all pointless. Nintendo fans prefer Nintendo software. It's not even remotely hard to figure out. Do I think this is what Nintendo SHOULD do? No. I think it could go well for them, if they did, but that's not the only way I can see them succeeding, and IMO, it would make the current gaming market very boring in comparison. I also don't WANT them to do that. It'd be a pretty sucky launch year for me, as I'd be getting all the 3rd party titles on PC, instead of NX. Besides that, as has been pointed out, we really have no idea what the NX even is. That's been hammered in quite hard enough, I think. I feel that if we have the most basic knowledge down, real speculation can begin. That's what I'm doing, though I'm not 100% sure everyone else has that basic stuff, yet. (Nor am I saying I'm the only one that does.)

martinskrtel37

All this talk about third parties. Tell me, what exactly do people wish they had access to on Wii U? Seems to just be complaints that we don't get those boring, generic, dark, mysterious, vampire slaying, demon eating, cutscene playing rehashes of the same simple story. Lol. That and the latest EA Sports games. I don't feel I've missed out on anything for years. I genuinely wonder what people are missing so bad - or do they just want "third party support" but no real idea as to what?

Edited on by martinskrtel37

Octane wrote:

everyone needs to relax and enjoy the games that are released today and stop worrying what Nintendo will do in a year or two from now.

3DS Friend Code: 0130-1906-5039 | Nintendo Network ID: martinskrtel37

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.