Rain Games' Upcoming Wii U eShop Title Teslagrad Will Also Be Released In-Store

Posted by Liam Doolan

Has also been sent in to Nintendo for approval

After the delay of the Wii U eShop title Teslagrad towards the end of 2013, fans of the Big N haven’t heard much about the upcoming puzzle-platformer except that its developer Rain Games is intent on delivering a quality product. Whilst Wii U owners were also teased with a lovely trailer of the game earlier this year, an exact release date was still unable to be pinned down.

Despite this, Rain Games – to the horror of those expecting to hear a release date announcement – has instead revealed via its Facebook page, that it's partnering with SOEDESCO Benelux to release their now once digital-only eShop title as a physical retail game. The Wii U is not alone here, with pretty much the majority of rival platforms receiving the same treatment.

Before this latest announcement, the last we had really heard of Teslagrad was news the Wii U version of the game was coming along at a steady pace, and that there was no set window for 2014. About the closest information we’ve had to a release date has just been delivered via Rain Games' Twitter page, and that is; the game has been sent in for approval.

Let us know in the comments if a retail release of Teslagrad would be of interest to you, or if you’d just like to see a date or release of some sort at this point.

[via facebook.com]

DefHalan

DefHalan said:

I will probably stick with the eShop version, if I get it on Wii U. Might already have it on PC thanks to a humble bundle... humble bundle making it harder to support "indies" on console

FritzFrapp

FritzFrapp said:

Interesting. Not entirely sold on this game, but would rather go the physical route. It has to be sub £20 though, or it's going to die at retail.

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

Loved the demo of this game and is my most anticipated eShop game along with the Oddworld remakes. That doesn't mean I will buy it at inflated prices though. Sorry : S

Sugar_Crunch_BD

Sugar_Crunch_BD said:

@DefHalan Yeah, but the games that come out on a humble bundle are generally at least a year old. I still wont buy indies on consoles just because i have a PC and steam so i don't see the need.

Shambo

Shambo said:

I'll go physical, as always, when possible. I recall some other games like this that got a physical release, and now are pretty hard to find, so always a nice addition to the collection. And I support this way over digital-only.

nintimdo

nintimdo said:

Played this game on PC
I think many are in for a big disappointment tbh
It's like 3 hours long and way prettier than it is fun

Aqueous

Aqueous said:

I was hoping this would be priced around 14.99 like Child of Light, now however... maybe I'll wait to see if it goes one sale sometime.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

Oh sweet, I've been waiting patiently for this, however the in-store part scares me for the price of it! Yikes!

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

I mean, I guess it depends. It really seems more like an eShop title, but if the download size is large and the prices are the same, I might-maybe go with the disc.

ejamer

ejamer said:

Oh great! I'd rather buy retail, so am happy with this news.

(Obviously this assumes that pricing is similar for the two formats. If digital is much cheaper that could sway my opinion.)

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

Retail releases always interest me, as long as the game is good enough and isn't too short. I'd have been more than willing to pay (discounted) retail prices for the likes of Guacamelee and Shovel Knight. Depending on how Teslagrad is received, I may go for it; otherwise, I'll probably get it on the e-Shop.

Tops

Tops said:

This is interesting but I'm not sure whether I'll go digital or physical for this one. Depends on the reviews and price.

DefHalan

DefHalan said:

@Captain-Falcon
I would rather get ondies on console. I find consoles indies are normally a better experience than on PC. I just hate how indies will be a part of a humble bundle before they release their game on all target platforms. Because of that I get their games for super cheap and aren't really supporting them. If they waited to do Humble Bundles until after they release on all target platforns then they would catch me twice, once on console and once on Humble Bundle

MHMason

MHMason said:

I'd like to see what's all inside the retail release first, but the temptation to get a physical copy still looms. I'm quickly running out of hard drive space, so anything I can get on a disc is alluring.

Hero-of-WiiU

Hero-of-WiiU said:

No more than 25.00$ and I'll get it. Other indie games I look forward to is Affordable Space Adventures and Cubemen 2.

Mega719

Mega719 said:

Never even heard of that publisher. Is it a bad thing they are the one to publish the game?

buckminster

buckminster said:

It's been $10 on Steam since it came out and totally worth that price. I bought it and it's great, but anything over $20 would be pushing it IMO. There's not a lot of replay value, but it's a great looking game with some decent platforming.

Ralizah

Ralizah said:

It'll probably be priced similarly to the boxed version of Ducktales Remastered, I imagine.

bofis

bofis said:

If the price is competitive the retail at least means it does not use up precious space on my WiiU, and also is then loanable to friends unlike a digital copy. As for what people are saying about Humble Bundle making it harder to support Indies on consoles, I agree somewhat, but I've actually resisted picking up some titles, like Teslagrad, because I knew it was coming to WiiU (mmm delayed gratification).

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

I'm buying physical.

I'm liking this trend. Indie games are increasing in quality, and are now stepping up to physical retail releases, gradually filling the middle market void left by the recent shift in AAA to mega-budget franchises.

Henmii

Henmii said:

If the price is right, I'll go for Retail. I'll always prefer Retail.

erv

erv said:

I'm digital only anyways... But the trailer intrigued me like child of light did, which is a game I really, really like.

sketchturner

sketchturner said:

I'm wondering if physical release is still in the works? I've held out on the eShop version in anticipation of retail.