Monopoly: Pokémon Kanto Edition is Bringing Ruthless Landlord Gaming to a New Generation

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Gotta bankrupt 'em all

As a board game representation of cold-blooded capitalism, Monopoly is rather brutal — up to six entrepreneurs start with the same level of capital and acquire land as quickly as possible, before then applying hefty rent charges for merely standing on the land. The goal is to bankrupt the other players; it's a cruel world.

Yet still, it's fun, and we've had some awesome Nintendo-themed editions, with the upcoming Legend of Zelda set being an example. Pokémon fans haven't been left out, however, as the previously confirmed Kanto edition — accompanying a previously release 'mon version — has emerged at retailers such as GameStop in North America, with a release date of 30th August. It includes plenty of neat 'mon-themed features, too.

• Pokémon themed game board features the Kanto Region and all eight gyms
  • 6 collectible metal tokens: Pikachu, Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle, Eevee, Jigglypuff
  • Custom sculpted Poké Marts and Pokémon Centers replace traditional Houses & Hotels

With this just a week away we're sure some fans are already browsing multiple retailers to look for the best deal. Let us know if you're one of them — this does seem to be North American only right now — and enjoy the images below.

Thanks to Ryan Millar for the heads up.

[via gonintendo.com]

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

Hmph, I reported this about an hour ago, but whatever. I kind of want this, but I think I'd still prefer the classic Nintendo Monopoly. One day, one day.

Phantom_R

Phantom_R said:

There are so many cool Monopoly sets out there until I remember how miserably boring Monopoly is.

BlackSpy

BlackSpy said:

Can't wait for folks to start complaining that this will cause children to become twisted tycoon con artists ;)

TheItalianBaptist

TheItalianBaptist said:

@Smooching idk if you spotted this but if you look closer on the back of the box you'll see that it's almost an exact replica of the original pokemonopoly's board, just without the anime theming.

Obito_Tennyson

Obito_Tennyson said:

Pikachu is the star on the cards and as its own character piece... perfect, because everyone wants Pikachu on EVERY single franchise and merchandise they own.

NOT EVERYONE IS ADDICTED TO PIKACHU, POKEMON COMPANY!!

mikeyman64

mikeyman64 said:

That is TOO cool! First Zelda, and now this!? I don't know how much more of this my wallet can take...

rjejr

rjejr said:

Somewhere in the article you should mention the $45 price for what is basically a $15 board game. That's quite the mark-up, even for a Pokemon license. Probably $59 in the Nitneod store in Manhattan.

Pass.

Mega719

Mega719 said:

Is there going to be a Kirby set? Because that would appeal to audiences more

Mega719

Mega719 said:

While these sets are very well mase if you already own the original than you're good to go. Don't waste money on expensive re-skins like this

Jahir

Jahir said:

Oh cool, I've always liked monopoly and this one could be perfect for my little cousins to start playing it

ikki5

ikki5 said:

Um.... so a new one of this? I own this one.

Untitled

So I don't need another one.

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

Was Mario the first one? Then Zelda, and now this...is there some sort of big Monopoly game coming to Nintendo systems? lol

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

I remember carrying a Pokemon Monopoly out of school for a friend, so I will just play it at his house if I want to play through Pokemon Monopoly.

bizcuthammer

bizcuthammer said:

Yeah, i'm pretty sure i still have the original Pokemon Monopoly from like... 1999. That was also when i learned that I really only like the idea of Monopoly, and that actually playing it is a boring, pointless waste of time.

Sergio151

Sergio151 said:

it looks like this version of Pokemon Monopoly is based off Red and Blue unlike the original where it was based off the anime. I'll still pick this up, though.

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

I actually like this one better than the original, it looks cleaner and doesn't scream 'for kids' quite as much as the original anime themed version. Although I do prefer the deeper colors of the old board's artwork.

mjc0961

mjc0961 said:

Pokemon Centers replace Hotels? Somebody didn't think that through. Pokemon Centers are free to use.

Shambo

Shambo said:

Looks great, but I ordered the Zelda one, and already own the Nintendo edition... So I'll skip it :p

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

Other than replacing the plastic figures with metal ones (and swapping out Blastoise, Clefairy, and Mewtwo for Squirtle, Jigglypuff, and Eevee), how is this any different from the previous edition of Pokémon Monopoly? Does it still have the alternate bonus choices for when you roll doubles (rather than rolling again), such as being able to swipe a non-monopoly property from an opponent when rolling double 6's?