BLAZBLUE -CLONEPHANTASMA- is Battling Onto the 3DS eShop on 21st August

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Button tapping mayhem

BlazBlue is a franchise that's only made one retail appearance on Nintendo hardware with Continuum Shift 2, but it's coming back to the 3DS in a more cutesy, download-friendly format. BLAZBLUE -CLONEPHANTASMA- — that's the publisher's use of block capitals, not ours — is arriving on the 3DS eShop in North America in this week's update (21st August) at a price of $5.99 / $6.99CAD.

This seems to be a follow-up to DSiWare title BlayzBloo: Super Melee Action Battle Royale in terms of style, moving away from the fighting game mechanics of the main entries in favour of brawling with multiple enemies with an isometric camera angle. It features "cute versions" of 10 characters from the series, and sounds like it just uses one button for all attacks, though different fighters will pull off different moves. There'll be two modes: a Story mode will follow the ten heroes through a quest and include boss encounters, while the Challenge mode tasks you with pummelling as many enemies as possible. It looks like a pretty decent visual upgrade over the 2010 DSiWare release, though we hope the gameplay isn't as one-note and repetitive as that last-gen effort.

Will any of you in North America be tempted to check this out when it arrives on the eShop this week?

Thanks to Ryan Millar for the tip.

[via twitter.com]

lividd3ad

lividd3ad said:

Normally I'd prefer a straight port of ChronoPhantasma, but after seeing how they handled the 3DS version of Continuum Shift II, I should be careful what I wish for.

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

Will a real BLAZBLUE game stand up.............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................no one okay then.

Shotgunryugan

Shotgunryugan said:

"It looks like a pretty decent visual upgrade over the 2010 DSiWare release, though we hope the gameplay isn't as one-note and repetitive as that last-gen effort."

I hope they hear you, Thomas. I bought that game blindly because I was looking for a fighting game on the e'shop and stumbled across that, one of my first e'shop regrets.
If you want a repetitive fighter, look no further than BlayzBloo.

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

This was released in japan at least two years ago - and NOW it's getting localized?! I wonder if that hints at ASW looking into a Chronophantasma release on WiiU,,,

@Shotgunryugan Well, it's not even a fighter to begin with, it's a 3D arena brawler.

Azikira

Azikira said:

I'm so glad they're bringing this to the US! They had an official Facebook thread where people could request this be made in other parts of the world, and I totes signed it!~

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

I want this, I love the series, while the first DSI ware was pretty simple and bland, this is suppose to add more content so I will get it!

Iggly

Iggly said:

Should've just said Chibi versions instead of "cute versions". ;)

This looks interesting, but I'll wait for the review since it doesn't look like a 2D Fighter that the previous entries are usually known for.

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

@Shotgunryugan No, a brawler is not a fighter. A fighter is 1on1 (or 2on2 in tag team stuff) and focuses on movement options directly relating to the enemy position, which also means more input variation. A brawler provides the same movement options in all situations and as such doesn't have the same amount of input possibilities.

Windy

Windy said:

I may get BlazeBlue so I can meet the all stars from their good baseball game :)