Yo-Kai Watch 2 On Course For A Phenomenal Début Week of Sales in Japan

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Set to be first million-seller in Japan this year

Earlier this week we brought you some comments from Level 5's head honcho, Akihiro Hino, outlining the formula for the success of Yo-Kai Watch on 3DS. The first title had a reasonable but modest start in Japan, before the accompanying anime series boosted its popularity and took it beyond one million sales.

Yo-Kai Watch 2 has arrived in Japan this week, with a huge amount of buzz and plenty of images of eager gamers queuing at stores. It looks set to be a smash hit, and it'll no doubt storm to top place in the next set of chart results for the country. Amazingly, Media Create has stated that prior to its arrival it tracked 814,000 pre-orders; the number could have been higher, yet stock shortages held it back. For some context, let's consider the fact that the latest figures for the first title have it down at 1,176,134 lifetime sales, at physical retail — the sequel looks set to surpass that number in a matter of weeks. It will more than likely be the first 2014 release to pass one million sales in Japan.

There are multiple factors to explain these figures, the most obvious being that — Pokémon-style — this entry has two separate versions; some gamers will inevitably double-dip to enjoy both. On top of that the IP continues to grow in popularity, and some may have conceivably followed the free TV show and will dip into the game with the sequel's arrival.

We can expect to see some impressive figures for Yo-Kai Watch 2 in the coming weeks, and there are strong odds that the 3DS — despite its impressive performance in Japan already — will see hardware sales bump along with the new software's success.

Level 5 has reiterated that it has significant plans to bring the franchise to the West, too, and can only hope for a similar impact outside of Japan.

[via siliconera.com]

Falchion

Falchion said:

I really want to try this game out. Pokemon has become a little too repetitive for me and I wanna see how good this is.

Alias

Alias said:

Is it bad that until now, I thought Yo-Kai Watch was an actual watch...?

Peach64

Peach64 said:

The 3DS badly needed this, so let's hope there's a good hardware bump too. I said last week the numbers were going to be crazy. The first game kind of came out of nowhere, so there wasn't really the hype there when it launched. Word of mouth has kept it selling though, and now a lot of those people are going to be on board day 1 for the sequel.

I'd love to see the game over here, but I hope they don't rely on the cartoon to build hype like they did for Inazuma Eleven, because it seems nobody watches cartoons anymore, at least in the UK. There's no brand awareness at all for that series, and it should be a top seller :(

NodesforNoids

NodesforNoids said:

When both Pokemon and MH are so incredibly dominant, anything along those same lines blows up in Japan. It's a collector's obsession, one that is appropriately Japanese and exclusive to the country's reliance on space saving measures. When collecting hundreds of manga, dozens of figures and large consoles and their accompanying televisions isn't the best option, handhelds explode. Even adults see the draw in what can be a very cramped, crowded place.

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

At first glance, i thought this was going to be A Boy & his Blob sequel. :P

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

"It will more than likely be the first 2014 release to pass one million sales in Japan."
Am I misunderstanding something, or did Monster Hunter 4 not sell over 2 million copies in a single month?

rjejr

rjejr said:

Just curious, did this start as a 3DS game or did it get big first like Puzzle and Dragons as an app before moving to the 3DS and adding a Z?

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Maybe after the sequel beats the first one in sales Level 5 will actually localize the latter for us.

ModestFan93

ModestFan93 said:

@rjejr 3DS Exclusive game.

Plans to localize is not as satisfying add being told that they will localize and have it out for us this year. Come on Level-5 get on it.

vamkar

vamkar said:

Wow, that's incredible. This always interested me.... and I get the feeling that they might make the Wii U version now

BertoFlyingFox

BertoFlyingFox said:

I'm curious enough to want to play it, would be a great new series to be localized and released by holiday 2014.

Emblem

Emblem said:

@Kaze_Memaryu Yep it had already sold 4 Million by 2014. Its a damn shame we won't be seeing it until 2015, at least we get the updated version.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

@rjejr

If I am not mistaken, the anime did wonders for this game, and of course the knowledge of the game being made by Level 5. Let's hope the TV show trick works for Sonic Boom as well.

Shambo

Shambo said:

Meanwhile the world outside of Japan is still waiting for Time Travellers to arrive some time in the past. Or something.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@sinalefa - Sonic Boom

I really don't know about Sonic Boom. I think my kids and I will like it, but it just looks so different I'm not sure how well it will be accepted by gamers. And I think another kid oriented game won't sell unless it has toys. Or Captain Toad :-)

rjejr

rjejr said:

@MadAdam81 - No, no Captain Toad in SSB, he doesn't even have a jump button (not that Link seems to have any problem jumping w/o 1 in WW HD).

My point was Sonic Boom looks like a kids game w/ those big new colorful characters and a Saturday morning cartoon on the way, but I think kids games need toys b/c all the kids are into Disney Infinity and Skylanders so Sonic Boom may not sell. But Captain Toad may sell as a kids game w/o toys b/c he's Captain Toad. He should get an assist trophy though.