Video: DJ Jazzy Jeff, Jeremy Ellis and The Roots Perform an Awesome Super Mario Bros. Remix

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Which DJ wins?

With the recent Independence Day celebrations in the US, there were plenty of events and concerts taking place around the country. One of these was the 2014 Philly Jam, and for those watching there was a bit of a retro Mario treat to enjoy.

In the clip below DJ Jazzy Jeff — who most may know as Will Smith's buddy and musical partner — starts off a remix of the original Super Mario Bros. theme, before Jeremy Ellis takes up the DJ Battle challenge with his own mix. Both are accompanied by the drummer of The Roots, and give cool but differing interpretations of the track.

The crowd seemed to enjoy it, but check it out below and let us know what you think.

Thanks to KevTastic84 on the forums.

[via 6abc.com]

Tsurii897

Tsurii897 said:

Hmm..not into this kind of music at all. I thought it was kinda meh, but I know that it's not too easy to do stuff like that, so uhm.kudos to those guys, I guess ;)

Moco_Loco

Moco_Loco said:

I preferred DJ Jazzy Jeff's performance. He used the original as the basis for his scratching and was subtle while still making something new. Jeremy Ellis just seemed to go crazy with additions and sound effects. Respect to both because I couldn't do what either one did.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

I don't really like scratching. I like electronic music though from real kit. (i.e Analog).

Deviant_Mugen

Deviant_Mugen said:

Uncle Reggie storms the stage and takes Jazz to the venue's exit and proceeds to toss him out on his ass.

Honestly, though, I was underwhelmed by both performances, but less so by Jazzy Jeff's, so he wins.

PatHawks

PatHawks said:

This isn’t my style 𝑎𝑡 𝑎𝑙𝑙, but if it introduces more people to chiptunes style music…
👍

Rafie

Rafie said:

I don't care what anyone says. This was a FUN take on an original, loved and respected OST that was done tastefully. Both did their thing. I like them both for different reasons. I never even heard of Jeremy Ellis before, but I know now and I'm a fan. Jazzy Jeff is legendary amongst dj's and has been for over 28 years. Props to both and thanks Tom for the vid!

Nimious

Nimious said:

@Deviant_Mugen Why..? I can't say I loved it either. DJ Jazzy Jeff did way too many scratches and really suffocated the mix but still that was still sick.

Mommar

Mommar said:

Jeremy Ellis wasn't "DJ'ing" really, just using a midi controller to mix/skip different parts of the track. Jazzy Jeff was doing the traditional Turntable-ism/DJ'ing gig. Both were impressive displays of different kinds of talent, however I didn't really enjoy either of the performances.

MeddlingIdiotStaff

MeddlingIdiot said:

Ellis is the man, he can use Maschine like no one else! He's also doing all the drum parts with his other hand.

Noonch

Noonch said:

I was underwhelmed by both but since Jeff actually had to hit his mark and the other guy just triggered samples.....Jeff wins. I can play rhythm with my left hand and trigger samples with my right. The programming is the difficult part of sampling. What I can't do is ever get a record to go back to the original point. It takes a lighter touch than I can achieve.

Ferret

Ferret said:

Jazzy ftw.

Jeremy Ellis, that was not music and is everything that is wrong with electronic music nowadays.

Zodiak13

Zodiak13 said:

I have listened to this twice already. Loved it, but this IS my style of music. Way to represent the Big N.

Zach

Zach said:

Very cool. Funny to see people trying to dance to it too. I preferred Jazzy Jeff's version a lot though!

Grimlock_King

Grimlock_King said:

One reason Hip Hop sucks now is no uses 1200's anymore damn shame. I give the performance a 3.5 out of 5.

Falk_Sturmfels

Falk_Sturmfels said:

Jeff is the man. He did a great classic old school scratching performance. The other guy just fell accidently on his awkward keyboard.

Marshi

Marshi said:

Jazzy Jeff was amazing. The ginger dude not so much. Was no rythm unless he used a short sample

BlackStar9000

BlackStar9000 said:

Jeremy got super smashed by the legend that is Jazzy Jeff, good stuff. I wanted to see a full track by Jeff tho, jeremy has great hand sync but zero consistency in rhythm.