Star Fox Stage Revealed for Super Smash Bros. on Wii U

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Great Fox from Star Fox: Assault

While there's a decent list of stages already confirmed for Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS, more are still being drip-fed to the public through Masahiro Sakurai's Pic of the Day posts. The latest entry introduces another popular — yet neglected — franchise as a battle arena.

This time we have the Great Fox from GameCube title Star Fox: Assault, continuing the run of the series as throwing up a stage in every Smash Bros. game to date. The original Super Smash Bros. had a Sector Z stage, Melee introduced a Lylat System: Corneria arena, while Brawl included the Melee stage in addition to Lylat Cruise; a snapshot of the Wii U stage is below.

Pic of the day. Here's the Great Fox from Star Fox: Assault. I wonder what missions it will conduct. It'll probably have fighters running around on top of it without the pilot's consent.

As the Wii U and 3DS versions have unique stages, we're yet to see whether there'll be an equivalent on 3DS — it would perhaps be best suited to something based on Star Fox 64 3D, but we'll see soon enough.

Are you pleased to see another Star Fox stage in the latest entry on Wii U? Let us know in the comments below.

[via miiverse.nintendo.net]

Tsurii897

Tsurii897 said:

Huh..I've never played a Star Fox game (yeah, shame on me), but I really doubt, there's nothing else, that'd be a cool idea for a smash stage besides the Great Fox...don't get me wrong! It looks awesome and I always liked those stages, but I'd like to see something new.

dinosauryoshi

dinosauryoshi said:

The more Star Fox the better! I really hope Wolf and Falco return. Although Falco's final smash should not be the landmaster as he clearly hates it in the N64 star fox game.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Star Fox: Assault was made by Bandai-Namco, so I'm not surprised to see it being represented. The stage looks nice. It looks like a throwback to the Sector Z stage from Smash Bros. 64. Since Assault was Krystal's second appearance, I wish she could join the fight, but I'm expecting to see just Falco and Wolf return for the Star Fox series.

Warbeard

Warbeard said:

So far the Wii U stages look much more interesting to me - stuff like pacman or balloon-fight as stages hurt my eyes with the 8-bit colours

FlaygletheBagel

FlaygletheBagel said:

Wow man, that stage looks amazing! I'm glad Sakurai always includes the Great Fox stage in Smash Bros. It's been one of my favorites since 64.

DrJoson

DrJoson said:

Assault is my favourite game from the series so I'm happy to see it being represented. Hopefully we get a load of tracks from Assault to go with it =)

Hero-of-WiiU

Hero-of-WiiU said:

I hope they go all out on the next Starfox game. It seems that we can't a great one without it coming of 'Cheap'.

Lasermaster123

Lasermaster123 said:

Great news! It is always nice to have more amazing stages to brawl at :D Now Nintendo should just bring a Golden Sun stage (one of the lighthouses perhaps, or the Sol Sanctum) along with an Isaac reveal and the game will be much more EPIC!

SuperMikey

SuperMikey said:

I'm really hoping it isn't just a Corneria clone or Venom clone because they should just put those in as past stages...

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

Oh man, I hope the 3DS version has this stage too. It's one of my all-time favorite ones to fight on. Smash 3DS wouldn't feel the same without it...

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

Most likely, the only Starfox 64 stage the 3DS version will get is going to be either Corneria again or Venom (which also appeared in Melee).

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

@Lasermaster123
Sol Sanctum, for the win. That place just screams JRPG and not only it symbolizes Golden Sun well, it also does the same with the entire genre. Also, there's one thing I've always thought - the risk here is that a rock remix would ruin the amazing tune I often rock myself to sleep to (who would've thought that, right?), so I realized that many relaxing tunes only need a few more drums to become perfect battle songs.
Additionally, given the Melee-esque two-BGMs mechanic for the 3DS version, Sol Sanctum and Isaac's battle theme would suffice for the stage.

AshFoxX

AshFoxX said:

@Tsurii897 Star Fox really is an excellent series. If you like arcade action and shooting things, you will get a good thrill out of most of the games. I'd only warn you about Starfox Adventures which is more of an easy Zelda clone with the characters from Star Fox.

Lasermaster123

Lasermaster123 said:

@AlexSora89

Yup, Sol Sanctum is the perfect representative stage as it epitomizes the whole series being a crucial stage as well as the very first stage where everything all started. The music is also perfect as well as Isaac's tune which rings throughout the 1st game and the 2nd half of the 2nd game for me :D I hope Nintendo succeeds in realizing the epicness of its own in-house classic RPG and introduces all this.