New Pokémon Stage Has Been Caught in Super Smash Bros. for 3DS

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Black & White's time to shine

With its release on 3rd October getting ever closer, more and more fresh details of Super Smash Bros. for 3DS are emerging. As per usual, Masahiro Sakurai is utilising his Pic of the Day on Miiverse to reveal the details.

The latest announcement is for another new stage, this time based on an area from DS titles Pokémon Black and White — it seems to be N's Castle, based on the screen and the hints that Sakurai-san is dropping.

Pic of the day. Reshiram appears on one of the stages in the 3DS version! Zekrom and Milotic will appear, too. It's close enough to the launch date, so I don't have to describe this stage to you, right? The design of this stage is based off of the surroundings of someone's castle.

We've already seen that Sakurai-san is happy to utilise DS games and their environments for the upcoming brawler, while on the 'mon score we've already seen the Prism Tower stage that draws from Pokémon X & Y.

Are you excited about this new stage for the 3DS version? Let us know in the comments below.

The_Ninja

The_Ninja said:

That stage looks awesome. Can't wait to wreck people on it :P
Too bad we won't get more details on it.

sillygostly

sillygostly said:

It looks hideous… like a 3D model from a Nintendo 64 game (Pokémon Snap, anyone?). I wouldn't have expected the Reshiram model in Smash 3DS to look as good as the one in Pokédex 3D or even Pokémon X & Y, but this…

Alpha2797

Alpha2797 said:

@sillygostly They had to make sacrifices somewhere in order to keep the game at 60fps at all times. The lower resolution Reshiram is probably an example of a sacrifice.

Player4

Player4 said:

But Zoroark is not playable, huh? :/ (Yes, I'm still bitter)

Cool stage tho

ModestFan93

ModestFan93 said:

@Player4 Zoroark disguised as N. I'm still crying over this too.

YES I GET TO HEAR A SMASH VERSION OF N'S THEME! Hmm maybe Ghetsis as well too.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

If this is anything like Spear Pillar from Brawl, then I would approve. I haven't played Black and White so I wouldn't know.

Hopefully the music is good. Remember than there's only two tracks per stage in the 3DS version. The non-playble Pokemon don't seem to be very detailed in the 3DS version in general, though I am tempted to wonder about that Reshiram model.

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

In the last few days, the portable SSB went from "Oh no, it's just a 'lite' version just to please those who wanted a handheld SSB" to "Holy smokes, Brawl's gone portable".
The wait is getting more unbearable each passing day.

@SockoMario
Remember Spear Pillar in Brawl? You know, Dialga-Palkia-Cresselia? Sort of like that.

Retro_on_theGo

Retro_on_theGo said:

This is amazing! This is probably going to be the 3DS exclusive Pokemon stage. Which sucks because I would love to see this stage in HD. I can only imagine how gorgeous it would look.

RedBeanPorridge

RedBeanPorridge said:

This Reshiram model just makes me cringe O_o

Also if anyone else was wondering whether or not milotic may have been a miiverse post translation error(I can't be the only one right?), it isn't, it says Milotic in the original japanese post too. But that begs the question - why Milotic????

The_Ninja

The_Ninja said:

The reshiram model seems fine to me. They have to make sacrifices to keep it all running at 60fps. Techincally, the 3DS could do much more if it didn't have that 3D feature. It has to render the image twice. If Smash 3DS had no 3D support, you could expect everything to run at 60fps, and look alot better too. It already looks better than Brawl with 3D supported.

However, the Reshiram model doesn't look too bad.

MixMasterMudkip

MixMasterMudkip said:

Hopefully it won't be as bad as Spear Pillar. Wouldn't make sense to have the screen flip, and the controls to become inverted here. Still Milotic makes no sense. The only place it's catch able is literally the location furthest away from N's Castle.

BLPs

BLPs said:

looks at the building...

Not N's Castle, it's the final area of the Pokémon League.

BLPs

BLPs said:

@torotoid64

I've only played the Generation V games the most. It's not like I know each area tile for tile or anything...

BigDaddysPizza

BigDaddysPizza said:

Cool. I definitely approve of this stage. I like how they're finally adding stages based on some of the exciting things in the Pokemon series, like the Elite Four and N's Castle/outside N's castle/Elite Four. This is much, much better than a boring Pokemon Stadium 3.

FilmerNgameR

FilmerNgameR said:

Speaking about pokemon stages, how come Smash has never had the Tin Tower from HG and SS as a stage. Battling on the top of a really big tower with a Ho-oh cameo in the bg would be cool.

RedBeanPorridge

RedBeanPorridge said:

@torotoid64 well I just assumed since N's Castle sort of sprung up around the league building in black and white, the same thing would happen here after a certain amount of time had passed, which is why the castle itself isn't seen in the background of the screenshot. I'm just speculating though.

ModernMARVEL

ModernMARVEL said:

Woah! N's castle? Makes total sense though. I wonder, will it work like Spear Pillar? If not, I want it as a classic stage.

IceClimbers

IceClimbers said:

Wonder if there will be a Black/White stage on the Wii U version. X/Y has a Wii U stage based off of the Elite Four chambers (Drasna specifically), but it hasn't been officially announced yet and was just spotted in Greninjas trailer.