Collectorvision Announces Justice Beaver for Wii U eShop and Super Nintendo

Posted by Liam Doolan

Not to be confused with trouble-making pop sensation, Justin Bieber

Retro-inspired video games have to be authentic, and the team over at Collectorvision knows this.

Since 2008, Collectorvision has been developing, publishing and manufacturing a quality line of new but retro-inspired home-brew releases for classic video game systems of yesteryear.

Now, with years of experience, its latest release Justice Beaver will grace Nintendo platforms. Only this time, it’ll give gamers the best of both worlds being a modern Wii U title, and a retro Super Nintendo release.

Yes, you read correctly. A new game being simultaneously released for both new and old Nintendo systems. Does it get any more exciting than this? Perhaps only at a Justin Bieber concert.

The developer has gone as far as saying the plan is to have Justice Beaver “as a SNES Virtual Console game”, but in worst case the title will be a regular Wii U eShop release. Somehow, it seems unlikely Nintendo will permit such a request, but weirder things in the land of Nintendo have happened before.

The true beauty of this dual release is that if you’ve got a SNES around the house gathering dust, you can whip it out and go on a nostalgia-fuelled trip. Else, if you’re a hip and happening cool cat who has embraced the digital age in all its glory – dropping the console relics of the past – you’ll be able to instantly download this to your Wii U system and experience the game in a modern resolution.

One last thing worthy of note is Collectorvision’s other upcoming projects Sydney Hunter and the Mayan’s Revenge for the NES, and Sydney Hunter & The Caverns of Death for the SNES, which are both coming out later this year, appear to have a bit of an Aussie flavour – boomerangs and all. This writer loves it.

Maybe with a bit of luck (and some rabid fanboy efforts) we can have this project carried across to Nintendo’s eShop library as well. Going by this previous game announcement, it's appears likely that NTSC-U, NTSC-J and PAL formats should all be on the cards for the SNES iteration of Justice Beaver.

Thanks to Ryan Millar for the tip!

[via facebook.com, nintendoeverything.com]

Nintendzoey

Nintendzoey said:

Did you really have to mention him? I always think of Justin as a beaver though, every time I am subjected to his music I always say "Dam!"
Honestly though, this does look like a fun game. If I had a Wii U, I may have looked into this game.

Tobias95

Tobias95 said:

They are making games for older systems? Are those games sold in stores by any chanse?

Liam_DoolanStaff

Liam_Doolan said:

@Nintendzoey I honestly kept mixing up Justice Beaver with Justin Bieber & vice versa during the construction of this article.

Also did a Google of Bieber, and as @Shiryu has mentioned - just hours before he'd been in a punch-up with Legolas.

Good times for all, lol

Nintendzoey

Nintendzoey said:

@Liam_Doolan With a name like this for a game I can understand. One of my friend's family actually has the surname "Bieler". People sometimes accidently write their last name as "Bieber" now. They think it is hilarious.

Alpha2797

Alpha2797 said:

Justice Beaver's close similarity to the name Justin Bieber had to have been intentional. They sound so similar and nearly identical!

Iggly

Iggly said:

I read it as "Justin Beaver", which is funny since I refer Justin Beiber to that name whenever I do talk about him.

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

Really NLife? The quality of your taglines is slowly diminishing. You couldn't just say "Not to be confused with pop sensation?" You had to tell us who it was because we obviously wouldn't get the pun? For shame, NLife. :(

KingofSaiyans

KingofSaiyans said:

I think Dwight from the American version of The Office also confused Justin Beiber's name with Justice Beaver...hmmmm

Hy8ogen

Hy8ogen said:

Is this a joke? SNES? Why waste resources on a platform that you know has been long dead? Mind you the cartridges aren't cheap to produce!

Hy8ogen

Hy8ogen said:

SanderEvers

SanderEvers said:

@Hy8ogen Many people LOVE classic feeling in new games. Look at Shovel Knight for instance. What's better than releasing such a game on a classic system? Too bad Yaght Club didn't make a NES version of Shovel Knight.

Gridatttack

Gridatttack said:

Some graphics reminds me of other games, like Super Metroid, and those Ice Blocks from blizzardman stage from MM6.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

Good to see the Super NES is still alive and kicking with games still coming. Can't wait to try this Justice Beaver game, reminds me of Conker except it's a beaver instead of a squirrel.

rp17

rp17 said:

They also said that Sydney Hunter & The Caverns of Death will also be available on eShop!

NodesforNoids

NodesforNoids said:

This looks like Super Metroid meets MMX, which would make it a must buy for me.
SNES revival? Genesis / MD revival? AWESOME.
That PS1 throwback RPG couldn't come out soon enough for me!
Hopefully, this doesn't hit a bunch of delays.. Keeping it away from Microsoft would be a good start.

NodesforNoids

NodesforNoids said:

For those that don't have the really old systems and want to save space, I actually have a RetroN system and it's great. Consoles take up tons of space, so having your set-up in a single location is great.
It may be expensive, but if you're collecting all the systems from scratch (especially the GBA, whose SP still commands a decent price) it'll put you in a similar ballpark.
It's virtually painless and works much better with modern TVs.

WinterWarm

WinterWarm said:

@Shiryu XD Nice.

This is actually really cool, I'd heard a few years qgo about devs doing releases on super old systems, I think is kinda wierd, but whatever.