Exclusive: Free Mutant Mudds Deluxe 3DS Update Arrives on 3rd July

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

That’s in both North America and PAL territories

Late last year we were happy to share the news of a free Mutant Mudds Deluxe update on the way to 3DS, which will bring the portable version of the game into line with the Wii U title. That was particularly welcome news for gamers in Europe and Australia, as the expanded version didn’t see a home console release in those territories.

Though that update had targeted release earlier in the year, we can now confirm that the free content will now arrive in North America and PAL regions on 3rd July, just one week away. Key features of the update are as follows:

• 20 New Ghost Levels (originally released on Wii U) - Bringing total level count to 80.
  • Mid-level Checkpoints - Toggle on/off to suit your desire.
  • 4 Hidden Playable Dev. Team Characters.
  • New Ghostly Chip-tune Tracks.

When originally announcing the new content to us Renegade Kid’s Jools Watsham explained that the ghost levels introduce a “gradual difficulty curve” to allow players to adjust to the new mechanics; these extra levels will be found by stepping through the "Phantom Mirror" to access an “alternative, ghostly version of the level select hub”. If you’ve unlocked and obtained access to a level in the standard hub, the equivalent Ghost Level will also be available.

With the Deluxe levels included, Mutant Mudds on 3DS will certainly offer plenty of content; this will also be the first time that Nintendo gamers outside North America will be able to enjoy these levels from the Wii U version.

Are you eagerly awaiting these free levels and features, or perhaps planning to pick the game up on 3DS now that the update has got a solid release date? Let us know, as always, in the comments below.

Related Games

Kyoto

Kyoto said:

Fully completed the game last year and I will definitely complete this free DLC too. Game is awesome!

Tsurii897

Tsurii897 said:

Will the Deluxe version ever release in Europe? I really want to play this.. :/

Liquid_ice

Liquid_ice said:

I've been waiting for this update for so long. I was excited about it in March. Then April, May, June... and now I need to wait 2 days of July as well! I suppose waiting is a necessity to have fun with games, right?

Mutant Mudds is awesome. It's certainly one of the best games in 3DS's eShop. The question is: when will we see Mutant Mudds Deluxe in Europe?

Klimbatize

Klimbatize said:

Nice, very cool to give a free update to an existing game. It's also one of my favorites on the eShop. I've 100%ed it from scratch four or five times. Looking forward to playing as Max in Treasurenauts, too.

skjia

skjia said:

G-g-g-g-ghost levels?!
I always appreciate free dlc that actually adds content.

HandheldGuru97

HandheldGuru97 said:

Whoop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Loved the previous updates and this looks like it adds even more to an already amazing game Jools! Looks like I'll be back in the Mudds world here shortly...

bouncer0304

bouncer0304 said:

Oh very nice. Especially liking the mid level save feature which will make it less of a pain to play. Also nice that it's free- others would have charged for that...

2Sang

2Sang said:

Cool, I've still only beaten the first few levels of mutant mudds, but I'll gladly use this dlc for my backlog

Liquid_ice

Liquid_ice said:

I don't like the idea of checkpoints, but otherwise this update seems perfect. It's amazing that this update was made over 2 years after the release of Mutant Mudds.

sevex

sevex said:

Awesome! I'll admit my affection for Mutant Mudds didn't come easy, but after clearing it 100% I'd love to play some more.

Nanamine

Nanamine said:

Glad to hear, Mutant Mudds is one of my favorite games of all time (yeah, I bet that isn't a common opinion).

I'll probably get to the ghost levels on the 3DS version soon after it releases, I actually just finished 100%ing the Vita version.

Tops

Tops said:

Sweet! Glad it's free, makes the game that much more worth the initial purchase

Obito_Tennyson

Obito_Tennyson said:

Was I the only person that thought that Nintendo was handing out a free Mutant Mudds Deluxe copy as part of a system update? I'm somewhat disappointed... :(

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

@RenegadeJools Thank you for such a great game! I've actually just been playing through Deluxe again. Next week, I'll play through it yet again once these levels are out. The 3D makes the game even better.

Magikarp3

Magikarp3 said:

"mid level checkpoints"

took more than two years, but maybe I can finally finish this game :o

sillygostly

sillygostly said:

If Renegade Kid had kept the original title of "Mutant Mudds" instead of renaming it to "Mutant Mudds Deluxe" for the Wii U release, then they could just release the bloody game as is on Wii U without having to reclassify it. :/

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

Quite happy we'll get that update. When i think 3DS eShop i'll probably always think about the great time i had with Mutant Mudds too.

AcesHigh73

AcesHigh73 said:

@sillygostly Tell me about it! I for one remain bitterly disappointed that one of my favourite 3DS downloads !!STILL!! isn't available to european Wii U owners! :-(

Drawdler

Drawdler said:

I've been wondering when this'd come out. Glad it's not far away, since I've been wanting to play this again, and a content update is the perfect reason to. :D

Itglows

Itglows said:

Great! Looking forward to finishing these levels too! We certainly got our money's worth with this game.

Windy

Windy said:

@Jools you are the bomb and so is Mutant Mudd's. Its been a longtime but now its time for a renaissance. Love the game and looking forward to more from you. Thank you!