Boy Battling Terminal Cancer Gets To Control A Life-Sized Game Of Super Mario Bros.

Posted by Damien McFerran

A heart-warming tale

A 10 year-old Canadian boy named Patrick has terminal brain cancer and is confined to a wheelchair, but thanks to The Children's Wish Foundation of Saskatchewan he got to realise one of his dreams: to control a life-sized version of the Super Mario Bros. video game.

50 volunteers — including the cast of Odyssey Productions, a local theatre group — constructed the set in less than a week, giving Patrick the chance to control the world-famous plumber — played by Louis Gareau — and defeat the evil Bowser and rescue Princess Peach.

The production is impressive for something built in such a short space of time, and the thought that has gone into it is clear for all to see — when Gareau takes a hit, he quickly drops off-stage to be replaced by a smaller Mario, just like the original video game.

Sadly, we can't embed the video here, but you can view it over on the CTV Saskatoon site. If thou possesseth a cold heart, prepare for it to be well and truly warmed.

[via gonintendo.com]

TheotherM

TheotherM said:

My heart was warmed. Kudos to the Theatre company for the effort. I hope he enjoyed it as much I enjoyed hearing about it.

HylianJowiStaff

HylianJowi said:

That's so awesome. ;_; This kid must be amazing if that's what he dreams about doing.

ToxieDogg

ToxieDogg said:

Wow, just wow. Kudos to everybody involved. :) Best wishes go out to Patrick and his family.

torotoid64

torotoid64 said:

You guys made me tear up today, gosh that kid is awesome hope nothing but the best for him!

Drac_Mazoku

Drac_Mazoku said:

I was almost crying just reading the news, if I watch the video, I won't be able to control myself. This is just too great but sad :(

Takerkaneanite6

Takerkaneanite6 said:

Anybody that ISN'T touched by this has a heart of stone. This is really touching and I hope little Patrick gets well soon...:'D

DiscoGentleman

DiscoGentleman said:

:) I wish the best for the little boy that he has as many years of happiness ahead of him as possible.
Great that this theatre troupe were able to do it for him.

KodyDawg

KodyDawg said:

I think you meant to say "Defeat the evil King Koopa and save Princess Toadstool." ;)

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Good stuff, nice to see some nice news in the world inbetween all the shootings and war.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

@KodyDawg: NOA hasn't used Toadstool as her name since Mario 64 I think it was. They wanted to make it more universal so since then they just called her by her Japanese name of Princess Peach.

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

@Gamecubii-64DD: come on now, miracles have happened before — i know a kid right now who had a big fat tumor wrapped around his brain stem and lived to tell the tale even after one set of doctors had called in a freakin' priest, he's been in remission for quite a few years now (knock on wood!). Let's take any and all well-wishing in the spirit it's been offered and leave the negativity at the door for this one, shall we? :3

smikey

smikey said:

@Gamecubii-64DD

You don't have to be touched or even smile you don't even really need a hate protection suit you could simply not make such worthless comments on such subjects.
Or you could show a dying boy some respect that was his dream they did it for him end of.
You'll probably never be in such a position with any kids you have / or may have in future but if you are good luck with the attitude adjustment.

PlywoodStick

PlywoodStick said:

@Gamecubii-64DD Look up protein folding and folding@home. Cancer treatment is not just some distant dream. Not even terminal cancer will be dubbed so forever, at this rate...!!!

This is a prime example of generating good karma. All actions, good and bad, come around again eventually, in life and in death. No disease can stop that.

My grandfather developed a malignant brain tumor in the 70s, but he survived through surgery. He had a heart valve transplant in the 00's to replace his main arteries, and he survived that surgery too. Though not unscathed, and scarred for life, it is not impossible to survive (mostly intact) through terminal (or soon to be terminal) illness.

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

It's really heart-warming that they helped a little boy bring his wish to reality. Kudos to them!

Gamecubii-64DD

Gamecubii-64DD said:

@Dpullam Oh yes, that is amazing. Goes to show what people can do when they put their mind to it! That is so heartwarming it's like I'm in a sauna! I hope he gets better.

AshFoxX

AshFoxX said:

I've seen something like this a long time ago, and what really makes me happy is not that they put this on for the kid, (which yes is pretty awesome) but that a ten year old boy knows what the original Super Mario Bros. is. A ten year old boy in my neck of the woods would probably play paintball to look like CoD.

Zodiak13

Zodiak13 said:

Sometimes thing happen that make me proud to be a member of the human species. Hope that this event can be used to help Patrick through whatever may come in the future. Sometimes good memories is wall we have, and trust me they are precious indeed. My prayers to him and his family, and the people who put this "game" together.