New Mario Kart 8 Screenshots Power-Slide Into View

Posted by Darren Calvert

7 new screenshots to whet your appetite

What a day it has been for Mario Kart 8 news! If you missed the surprise Nintendo Direct broadcast earlier today, we've got you covered.

What we didn't have space to show you in our monster round-up was some new screenshots which Nintendo released today. These show off new items such as the Super Horn and the fearsome Crazy Eight. New challengers such as Baby Rosalina and Pink Gold Peach can also be seen in action for the first time.

Do let us know if these screenshots float your boat by leaving us a comment below.

BooJoh

BooJoh said:

Rainbow Road looks awesome, and I'm really happy they finally confirmed the return of the Mii as a racer.

Retro_on_theGo

Retro_on_theGo said:

Am I the only one disappointed with the new Rainbow Road? A stupid space station? What happened to racing on a rainbow? We haven't seen the whole course yet so it may still win me over, but after the amazing remake of Rainbow Road 64 it's a tad…meh. Hopefully I'm wrong and it's actually fun. Eh, at least it looks beautiful in this shot.

Silent

Silent said:

@DestinyMan Bowser doesn't get his castle renovated. He owns like 50 castles.

It must feel really bad when your enemy gets paid more than you and all he has to do is hold a girl for a while and play dead.

BandG

BandG said:

Yeah quite dissapointed with a Rainbow road, it looks really uninspired, and unrainbow road-y... Game still looks fantastic though

Melkac

Melkac said:

What. Haven't you guys seen the Mario Kart Direct's trailer? The new rainbow road is shown there, it's NOT just a space station.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

@Silent: Well, I guess it is odd how it seems like his home changes every couple of years. The monster must be wealthier than Princess Peach to have so many homes.

sillygostly

sillygostly said:

I was really disappointed that they wasted the remake of Waluigi Pinball on Mario Kart 7 as that track would have looked incredible in HD.

sillygostly

sillygostly said:

sillygostly

sillygostly said:

Silent

Silent said:

Also, I'm not that impressed with the rainbow road but it looks like a great track.

SecondServing

SecondServing said:

Baby Rosetta? I think you meant Baby Rosalina. Gosh, video game journalists I tell ya. So unprofessional. IGN suffers the same problem, they release articles without spell checking.

SockoMario

SockoMario said:

Rainbow Road looks like garbage, and the character roster makes me want to vomit.

With that out of the way, this game looks great!

DazzaAdmin

Dazza said:

@SecondServing haha you cheeky scamp. In all honesty Rozetta was in the filename of the image we got from Nintendo so I didn't think to question it. More fool me :p

Splatom

Splatom said:

Roster looks ok, mad about Pink Gold Peach though (really? What about E.Gadd?). Rainbow Road looks epic.

LavaTwilight

LavaTwilight said:

@BooJoh
Looking at the videos, I don't see the space station linking up to rainbow road at all. Maybe it's just me but it looks like Rosalina's Space Station and Rainbow Road are 2 different circuits altogether. I may be wrong.

BooJoh

BooJoh said:

@LavaTwilight If you check the tracks section on the official site (mariokart8.nintendo.com) there's a video of each track where you can see it.

PJR0cks

PJR0cks said:

well I personally think this is the best looking video game I have seen in my life, yeah maybe few fps with greater detail in high end PCs, but this looks so fun.

Goginho

Goginho said:

These schreenshot float my boat.
Pink Gold Peach looks awesome :)
..and that red Mii looks like a junkie :D jks

OmegaStar

OmegaStar said:

I can't wait to see how the Miis look in motion. I know their facial animation is limited (Or maybe just lazy), but let's see how much effort they put into what's possible and keep it nice and smooth. They did a real nice job in Animal Crossing.

Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike said:

The new Rainbow Road is certainly interesting, I don't think anyone was expecting a space station theme. But whether or not it has that same feeling as past ones remains to be seen. I do like how they kept the Star Rings but made them metal, which leads me to believe that they're going to try and adapt the usual Rainbow Road elements to this theme. And that's a good sign that the course won't be too different from past versions.

bro2dragons

bro2dragons said:

We can all agree that "Pink Gold Peach" is stupid and should never be included in anything. It's not even a person, it's just three colors they some how threw together.

But names aside... she's supposedly made of metal, and yet her hair's blowing in the wind? How...?

AshFoxX

AshFoxX said:

Those lighting effects on the last pic are gorgeous. :P~ Cannot wait. I hope my store gets enough pre-orders to expect a midnight release.