Your Support Is Needed To Make This Lego Metroid Set A Reality

Posted by Damien McFerran

Blockbusting Samus and Ridley

We've seen some awesome fan-made video game Lego concepts of late — including Zelda and Mega Man — and now it's the turn of Metroid to get the block-building treatment.

Lego fanatic Lizardman has created a set which features Samus Aran, Ridley and Samus' iconic gunship. The concept has been submitted to Lego Cuusoo, which is a site where fans can put forward ideas for future Lego sets. Once a concept reaches 10,000 "supporters" it will be considered for proper production as a Lego set — assuming of course that Lego is able to secure the appropriate licensing, of course.

Will you be giving your support to this project? Let us know by leaving a comment.

Trikeboy

Trikeboy said:

Hmm, the set needs a bit of work, especially Ridley. It doesn't look like it will be an expensive set to buy though.

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

LEGO is always expensive. I'd be willing to pay for some well made Metroid themed stuff though, certainly. :3

Maelstrom

Maelstrom said:

Remember, all cuusoo models are only concepts. Lego will make the final design, with this as a very basic prototype

Gen0neD

Gen0neD said:

Not feelin' Ridley. Samus looks cool/cute and her gunship I'd give 6/10. I'm gonna say, try again. On the right track though. Don't want to crap all over this guys work. Who knows how long that took him. I'll bite with a redesign and perhaps a Light or Dark Suit Samus.

Artwark

Artwark said:

This Iis really AWESOME!!!!!!! WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE IS someone I disagree with!!!!!!

Please watch the insults — TBD

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

Considering the recent lack of Metroid and the Other M controversy, the timing could hardly be worse.

And Ridley should be made with LEGO Technic instead of the usual bricks. But generally: no. It looks sloppy, and just because Star Wars did this doesn't mean this is doing Metroid any justice - because it doesn't.

@Artwark Thanks for helping me realize my true nature.

kuribo4

kuribo4 said:

I registered and started supporting stuff. If you type Mario there is a cool set of the first Donkey Kong. There's Kame House, Dr Wily's castle, a Wind Waker set, etc.

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

The Zelda ideas have made it past the voting stages a few times but then got shot down by LEGO for either unspecified or cost reasons.

Then part of me wonders if there is still bad blood between LEGO and Nintendo over N&B blocks (Nintendo's LEGO clone in the 1960s) then again LEGO City games are Nintendo exclusive (though I don't know if LEGO is directly responsible).

There is also the existing Mairo Kart K'Nex sets. Does that mean Nintendo is exclusive to these or just Mario?

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

While I myself wouldn't buy this, Nintendo needs to start merchandising like they said they would buy have actually not.

Shire

Shire said:

To those complaining about the design, remember that this is just the concept. If it did get the votes and passed review then an actual Lego team would redesign it.

sketchturner

sketchturner said:

I would buy a Metroid Lego set in an instant... if it were Lego Technic and was well done. This looks like they turned Metroid into a Saturday morning cartoon for 4 year olds. I am sure this is only a concept, not the final build, but it still isn't enough to fill me with hope.

shaneoh

shaneoh said:

The problem with previous LEGO Zelda designs was the amount of new elements that would need to be manufactured. The recent one, Iron Knuckle Encounter, only requires 1 new piece.

shaneoh

shaneoh said:

"However, multiple new element molds would be required to create the minifigures for such a product, and the expense of these molds means that the Legend of Zelda project unfortunately does not pass the LEGO Review on the basis of the business case."
source:http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/6809

This new LTLOZ set is possible with only one new element planned. This Metroid set is also possible as it doesn't require any new pieces

Bragoon

Bragoon said:

Yeah, not for me, thanks. I feel that I'd be capable of building a better set myself, and if it doesn't require any new elements, then I'd rather not spend the money anyways.