Pikachu And His Pokémon Pals Are Throwing Their Support Behind Japan's World Cup 2014 Campaign

Posted by Damien McFerran

Pocket Monsters join forces with kit maker Adidas

One of the biggest sporting events of 2014 is the World Cup in Brazil, which will attract an audience of millions of fans from all over the globe. That of course means ample opportunities for advertising, and Adidas — which makes the kit of the Japanese national soccer team — has announced that it is teaming up with Pikachu and friends for a special promotion.

So far all we've seen is a couple of promotional images showing various Pokémon in the famous blue shirt of Japan's side, but there's no telling how far this relationship will go — it would be wise to expect branded clothing and other merchandise, but it remains to be seen if this partnership will result in any kind of video game tie-in.

Are you looking forward to the World Cup this year? Which team will you be rooting for? Let us know with a comment below.

[via deculture.es]

AdanVC

AdanVC said:

Poké-Soccer for Wii U and 3DS confirmed! Hahah. Japan already winning the World Cup for best advertisement campaign, haha. Hope we see more of this once the World Cup starts, it's cool :)

JtotheY

JtotheY said:

Yeah, they could make another Mario Strikers, but a more tactical game, without the exaggerating Mario stuff would be nice, since we don't have fifa anymore..

Player4

Player4 said:

Aaaaaah, this is so awesome! We really need a spin-off anime/game about Pokémon playing football. (Actually we don't, but it'd be great) Now I'm wondering if they'll do something similar with the Olympic Games

King_Johobo

King_Johobo said:

Haha!! I love it! Squirtle in a Japanese World Cup jersey is so damn cute! xD Love watching the world cup too!

JtotheY

JtotheY said:

@Baum897 No I didn't :p
but I don't like the charged shots and stuff in the game that doesn't have anything to do with football/soccer

Hunter-D

Hunter-D said:

Naturally I support my German Gunners, but I actually drew Germany in this tournament!

rjejr

rjejr said:

Does the Wii U have ANY soccer game? We own both Strikers and Charged, The only other time I rrcall seeing a soccer ball is the heading section in Wii Fit U.
Maybe they can add it into a new Mario Sports Mix.

I do like the Pokemon marketing for team Japan, better than just a straight up sneaker ad. The World Cup is a pretty big stage.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

@rjejr There's FIFA 13, for what it's worth.

Anyway, great little campaign. Japan got a very forgiving group stage, too, which means they could advance at least to the Round of 16.

PKpunky

PKpunky said:

Imagine an Inazuma Eleven type soccer game, with all Pokemon as eligible players! Anyway, this is pretty awesome. Can't wait for June!

SheldonRandoms

SheldonRandoms said:

They look like a good team, but can they beat the Legendaries or Team Rocket teams?

(I'm still rooting for Team Brock to win this whole thing XD)

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

If anyone remembers those old sports games like nfl blitz, or the nhl one, basically they were versions of sports game that kind of had no rules and were taken to the extreme. You could do things like cross check someone in hockey through the glass, and the goalie would occasionally transform into a brick wall covering the entire net.

Anyway I say all that because all I can think of is pokemon soccer. "Oh no venusaur has the ball, charizard flamethrower." "It's a penalty kick, quick rydon use earthquake." Allakhazam, the psychic goalie. "Swampert turned the field into a swamp."

That would just be too funny.

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

lol...I'm just in here because of the pic...every time I see something similar it makes me think of Strike Witches. xD (season 2's cover)

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@JtotheY Japan is the only part of the world with any taste at all when it comes to Football games. (Only place that pro evolution soccer 2013 on the 3DS outsold the rubbish version of Fifa that has been rereleased three times).

Melkac

Melkac said:

They're not supporting the US because... ... ...yeah, that'd be kinda pointless :P
Nice pictures, btw!

AshFoxX

AshFoxX said:

Huh... I might actually watch football this year if the team has Pokemon on their shirts.