JetGetters Is The Most Insane Aerial Combat Game You've Ever Seen, And Could Be Hijacking Wii U

Posted by Damien McFerran

Described as "Just Cause 2 meets Battlefield 4"

JetGetters is — in the developer's own words — "a game about jumping out of jets, and landing on other jets". A unique team-based dogfighting title by indie studio tinyBuild, it has just hit Kickstarter and a Wii U eShop edition is one of the many console-based stretch goals on offer.

The concept is simple enough — two teams fly around in fighter jets trying to take each other out. The difference here is that at any time you can leap from your jet and free-fall — Skyward Sword-style — until another jet comes close. It's possible to grapple onto other jets (hence the Just Cause 2 comparison) and eject the current owner. Other team mates can be called to your aid should another jet not be nearby, and you can even surf on the back of a friendly jet and continue to attack enemies with your hand gun, or repair the jet in question. You can also hijack other airborne objects — such as missiles — and steer them towards your foes.

It sounds amazing, and you can see the game in action in the footage below. The Kickstarter goal is $50,000, and just over $12,000 has been pledged so far, with 24 days remaining. The confirmed platforms are PC, Mac and Linux, all via the Steam distribution system, but console stretch goals have been added. $75,000 gets the Xbox One version, while $85,000 is needed to fund the PS4 port. The Wii U is the biggest stretch goal at $95,000.

Is this something you'd be willing to support? Will you be helping JetGetters reach that Wii U stretch goal? Let us know with a comment.

luke88

luke88 said:

Looks really good, also 'Hover: revolt of gamers' was just confirmed for wiiu, would be good to see some coverage on here NL.

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

Wii U stretch goal is always so high why can't all three 8th gen consoles have the same goal amount.

Mahe

Mahe said:

I read the subheading as "Just Dance 2 meets Battlefield 4". Now that would have been something...

PinkSpider

PinkSpider said:

Meh, lost me at £95,000 for the Wii U one a console which is less powerful than both ps4 and xbox one.
I would personally rather just see battlefront 4 on Wii U, it's a crime it wasn't released it would be great with the GamePad
This will end up another game that the devolper would initially end up scraping on Wii U anyway. I'll save my cash

Spanjard

Spanjard said:

Isn't this just the same like that road redemption thing, it looked great at first but turned into crap.

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

That's an insulting stretch goal, especially since the Microsoft Indie barrier is much higher than Nintedo's. I wish Kickstarter projects would let you specify what platform you want to donate towards.

RogueBologna

RogueBologna said:

Too bad the Wii U stretch goal is so high, but it is understandable if you read the dev's comments. Anyway, this looks amazing

rjejr

rjejr said:

Jet Grind Titanfall.

I like the look and the music and the concept, but I'm not big on multiplayer games like this. If it oculd be played w/ 2 players like Joust (and that other game which has/is coming out that looks like an updated Joust) then I'm in.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

If it is only multiplayer then I am not interested. I feel all console stretch goals are too high, specially Wii U's

ledreppe

ledreppe said:

@Jazzer94 Yeah, I know, it's not like the Wii U should be more expensive to port to than the X1 or PS4. I've got a PS4, so if I backed it and it didn't reach $95K then I'd still be covered.

noctowl

noctowl said:

The best part of just cause 2 for me was jumping out of planes and helicopters then trying to get back inside them before they crashed. I feel like if people were shooting at me during it, it wouldn't of been as fun. Pass.

smikey

smikey said:

The more e-shop games the wii u has the better but I can't see it ever making 95k i'd be amazed if they even made the 75k to get it to xbox one.
& it doesn't look especially interesting to me anyway.
plently of e shop games already confirmed for this year (even if most don't have actual dates)

ChessboardMan

ChessboardMan said:

Been less of a fan of Online Multiplayer in recent years, so a lack of a Single Player mode is disappointing, but I'll keep an eye on it…

MrV4ltor

MrV4ltor said:

This is the kind of strech goal I don't like to see. The Wii U version was the one I've seen beeing requested the most and now it gets the highest strech goal? What kind of f*ckery is this ?!

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

The concept sounds amazing but it can definitely use some work yet based on the video. I really hope it makes it, though it would be a game I'd most likely get for PC anyway, unless there is split-screen gameplay.

AVahne

AVahne said:

Wii U getting the highest stretch goal makes perfect sense. Out of all the home consoles this generation, Wii U is the most difficult to develop for even though it's also the weakest. That has to do with the CPU architecture; with PS4 and XBone, they can develop the PC version first, then port to those consoles with relative ease compared to previous consoles. With Wii U, they'd have to spend additional resources - time and money - to learn the system's nuances and develop a decent version of the game.

GalacticMario28

GalacticMario28 said:

I'm not normally a fan of games like these, but this one sounds interesting. I need to see more of the game to be sure, though; the video seemed a little bare-bones to me.

Retro_on_theGo

Retro_on_theGo said:

Fix the graphics up, a lot, and this could be really fun. I'll keep an eye on it. Hopefully it at least reaches the PS4 goal.

EvisceratorX

EvisceratorX said:

For those of you asking why the stretch goal is so high, it's because the Wii U simply isn't a profitable console to develop for. I hate to say it, but that's the reality...

djepic209

djepic209 said:

@AVahne

I dont quite think so there buddy... I mean, it all depends on what your using to develop with. There's Unity support for the WiiU.. so designing a game that would essentially work with all versions of Unity on all systems would be a lot easier then you think to port.

B3ND3R

B3ND3R said:

This needs to make it. I love dogfighting games. Being able to jump out and run around makes it even cooler!