R-Type, Street Fighter And Alien Crush Are All Flocking To The Japanese 3DS Virtual Console

Posted by Damien McFerran

Retro heavyweights flex their muscles on Nintendo's handheld

If you're a fan of blasting aliens, punching robots and playing demented pinball tables, then next week's Japanese 3DS Virtual Console releases should be right up your street.

Irem's iconic 2D shooter R-Type is on the way (the PC Engine version), along with fellow PC Engine title Alien Crush and Capcom's 2010 Street Fighter. The PC Engine titles will both retail for 600 yen each, while the NES/Famicom release will be 500 yen.

Both R-Type and Alien Crush have of course been released on the Wii Virtual Console previously, but 2010 Street Fighter — a platforming spin-off of Capcom's famous brawler which received a rather lukewarm response when it originally launched — is making its digital debut. It hit the west under the slightly different name Street Fighter 2010: The Final Fight (Capcom clearly wasn't above name-checking two of its previous arcade titles to build interest in this thoroughly average game, it would seem).

Would you be interested in seeing a western release for this trio of titles? Let us know by leaving a comment below.

[via nintendoeverything.com]

Related Games

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

I don't like the scrolling thing the PC Engine version of R-Type does.

The Dotemu version of R-Type is the Arcade one and it supports controllers.

I might get Alien Crush though.

Josaku

Josaku said:

R-Type is a great game and challenging to, I was lucky to play this for soo long because my father owned a machine ^^
It would be great if it would come to EU eshop too.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

What exactly happened to capcoms enthusiasm to complete the MegaMan library on the 3DS VC and later, on the WiiU ?
Are they too afraid to admit that the series sels even decade old titles over and over while every new title that isnt Street Fighter or MegaMan bombs like no tomorrow ?

@Frapp You would have them too if you would stop whining and go look for them ;)

Frapp

Frapp said:

Mate, for forty years I've been looking for and buying them. It was just a little region-locking dig.

RichRadEx

RichRadEx said:

I've never played any of those games above. But if they released them here, I'd be glad to pick them up!

LeasTwanteD

LeasTwanteD said:

I'd rather see 2010 Street Fighter on the Wii U VC. At the very least it'd remember me about how the world looked four years back in time, right.

Mommar

Mommar said:

PC Engine on 3DS in North America? Yes, please. And a lot more then just these two here.

sadsack777

sadsack777 said:

no much said of wii u once again get a grip Nintendo wii u needs games more than the 3ds

Blue_Yoshi

Blue_Yoshi said:

Oh I thought they met the very first Street Fighter, which kinda sucked from what I heard.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@Einherjar The only effort Capcom puts in is the absolute minimum possible. (At least for anything old). Monster Hunter seems to be working for them though. The CPS1 and CPS2 versions of stuff they at least did them right. (But they won't put in the effort to do an emulator themselves I don't think. I would like to be proved wrong).

Adamant

Adamant said:

This is the Turbografx R-Type, actually. The PC Engine release of the game was split into two versions titled "R-Type I" and "R-Type II", each containing 4 of the game's 8 levels, due to it being impossible to fit the entire game on one hucard at the time of release.

R-Type I and R-Type II were released on the Wii Virtual Console in Japan, but they're giving us the complete Turbografx version for the 3DS VC.

Obito_Tennyson

Obito_Tennyson said:

Got excited at "Street Fighter on 3DS Virtual Console," got lost at "Japanese," and got even more disappointed at "PC Engine / Famicon" and gave up on "Street Fighter 2010." I could only hope for SFWCT or whatever the best version is for an SNES Virtual Console on the 3DS.

Donjwolf

Donjwolf said:

Assuming they come to NA Eshop, I already have Alien Crush on my Vita and R-Type is pretty hard so I probably won't get any of them.

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

But it is confusing. First R-Type franchise was deleted, then only back the Turbografx version and now Irem continues dead but this only game come back to new generation while Super R-Type and R-Type III continue missed from the service.

Gameday

Gameday said:

Streetfighter 2010 FTW one of my favorite childhood games if you like mega man and such you should be a fan ! Bring that here indeed.