Unepic Begins Its Quest in Europe on 23rd January

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

One week later than North America

Unepic appears to be confirmed as next in line for download-only titles coming to the Wii U eShop, with news of its arrival in North America on 16th January now matched by clarification that it'll land in Europe one week later, on 23rd January.

As clarified before, off-TV play will be available while the dual-screen setup on the Wii U can be incorporated to consistently display key information on the various items and potions that can be crafted. On paper this title sounds like its packed with features, with the following from the official press release issued today.

• 2D RPG with 200 rooms to explore
  • 7 bosses, 70 spells and 100 weapons
  • Funny story and dialogs with references to other films, comic...
  • Quests, challenges, achievements and pets
  • Craft your own potions
  • 4 levels of difficulty with 3 different ends
  • English voices

The official trailer, which is an updated version of that released previously, is below. How many of you are tempted to look at this one when it hits your region?

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

Is someone working on a review yet? Would be nice to have one before the release next week! I really want it to be good!

petelectro

petelectro said:

played the original way back when the dev released it for pc through his own website. here's my take on it:

it's a really fun and challenging metroidvania. the writing and humour isn't that great though. if references just for the sake of referencing stuff is your type of humour maybe, you'll get a few laughs out of it. I thought it was just too un-clever with breaking the 4th wall in every single dialogue and naming almost every weapon and item after stuff from other games.

however: the game is really enjoyable. the only thing I would criticize is the inventory management and I hope that was resolved through the gamepad integration. if you're looking for a metroidvania that will kick your donkey in really fun ways, get it!
Please watch the profanity — TBD

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

I'll get it but later along the road. Right now I have a lot to play and when I'm done other games have priority (like Rayman Legends, SC: Blacklist, Zimbi U and Deus Ex).

rjejr

rjejr said:

During the part of the video where the guy comes out of the bathroom I started hearing the opening music for Bandy (You're a Fine Girl) and I thought they remade this as a 70s throwback game, forgot I had Pandora on. It was better w/ the music drowning out that guys voice though.

This looks like something I'ld try out a demo for a night but then forget to go back to. So many games I'm halfway thru.

Madmanonfire

Madmanonfire said:

Great game, totally recommended.
Word of caution to anyone who reads petelectro's comment, this is NOT a metroidvania. Your character doesn't get any skills to get to previously unreachable areas and each "level" is fully explorable before moving on. This is a 2D action RPG with some platforming thrown in here and there.

Madmanonfire

Madmanonfire said:

Great game, totally recommended.

Windy

Windy said:

I love these type of RPG's they don't come along often but when they do, they are usually pretty fun although usually short.my favorite of this type was Beyond Shadowgate which was a very short 2d point and click and click RPG on the TG16 CDROM. I loved that game and this looks to be along those lines

ikki5

ikki5 said:

I've had my eye on this game for a few months now. I'll be happy when it comes out for NA :)

HappyHappyist

HappyHappyist said:

dat voice acting... i hope there's an option to turn it off. other than that, looks great! i'll wait for a review. something like D&D is easy to screw up.

gregrout

gregrout said:

This is a very good game, but be warned it's not for little ears... lots of cursing.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

Looks nice - I definitely prefer 2D like this to some of the dopey-looking N64 3D that seems to be in vogue...