Batman: Arkham Origins and Blackgate Delayed in Europe

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Only on Nintendo systems and PC, though

When it comes to the upcoming Batman: Arkham Origins, its relationship with the Wii U has been rather frosty, which is appropriate as the Dark Knight will be beating on thugs in a Winter setting. Nintendo's system is missing out on the multiplayer mode — which itself is a first for the series — and it's now emerged that the release itself will be delayed two weeks in Europe; it's now due on 8th November in the region, rather than the original planned 25th October.

That also applies to 3DS title Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate, the prequel / spin-off being developed by Armature Studios, a team primarily consisting of former Retro Studios employees — the handheld title will also arrive on 8th November. These delays seem to only be in Europe, with North America unaffected — Origins will arrive in the EU on PS3 and Xbox 360 as expected on 25th October, while Blackgate is still landing on the PS Vita on the same day.

The Wii U version of Arkham Origins is still being listed at full price by various European retailers, despite the missing online component, though it's being offered at a lower price in North America.

It's a raw deal for Europe, it seems.

[via eurogamer.net]

Related Games

DESS-M-8

DESS-M-8 said:

What the hell!!!!?????
I'm getting sick of this. Getting stuffed on almost every non Nintendo game. This delay better be for a positive reason like they're putting the missing content back in, or addin something exclusive and still release on eshop at £39.99.

Bulbousaur

Bulbousaur said:

The final nail in the coffin for the Wii U version then, and another port which publishers will complain about poor sales and make less games for the console...

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

I blame the funky rounded blurays that Wii U uses.

The only thing frostier than the relationship between this game and Wii U will be the sales figures!

MrGawain

MrGawain said:

I wonder if this has to do with the Wii U price issue which is supposed to be cheaper than the Xbox/PS3 versions, but no retailer in Europe is paying attention to? Otherwise why only Europe?

Marshi

Marshi said:

@DESS-M-8 Nope its for "production reasons". Basically they didnt wana make too many copies and now realise they only have enough for the states for now

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@Bulby Not necessarily if it is like the PC version which is also delayed it might be the only acceptable quality console version. (All Stars Racing Transformed is a good example of a game that is exactly like that).

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@Marshi That doesn't explain why the PC version is delayed as well. (Mostly digital sales more than likely.) Or the eshop versions.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

Ok, a PC would be kinda plausible, since console versions are most often the main targets in development these days. But lets be honest: Who gets it first ? Xbox and PlayStation, the two platforms that get benefitet the most. As far as im informed, these two versions even get their own exclusive DLCs.
Is there STILL anyone to defend that devs / publishers NOT boycotting anything but the two home consoles of MS and Sony ?
That the WiiU AND PC versions are delayed is a curious coincidence. Especially on PC. Its based around the Unreal Engine, an Engine known to make problems on at least the PS3 and yet, its the PC and the WiiU that get delayed ?
And not to mention the 3DS game. The Vita one launches properly without any hope of reasonable sales figures and the 3DS on gets also delayed ?
My best bet would be that they try to cash in on unpatient buyers to go grab any version but the Nintendo ones. The PC isnt the main target of these kind of games anyways...
This absolutely stinks if you ask me.

Bulbousaur

Bulbousaur said:

@unrandomsam
I doubt a two week delay is going to make any difference in how well the game runs. The game will do just as well on PC as previous entries because of the PC's huge install base. The Wii U has an extremely small one, so any reason for someone to buy the same game on another console is crippling for its success on the Wii U.

Rafie

Rafie said:

@Einherjar Upset are we? To be honest, I think the Vita version will be better than the 3DS version. Unless it's a 3DS game and the Vita is getting a shotty port.

I will admit that this is bad for Wii U owners. Seriously, the trend here for the Wii U has gotten old with 3rd party devs. At the same time, you also have to remember that the Wii U version will be different from the other 2. The other 2 don't have a gamepad that will be heavily influenced with the game. Maybe they are tweaking it.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

@Rafie Im not really upset, not by a game and not by a 2 weeks delay. I waited half a year for rayman ;)
Its just that the industry is so pro Microsoft / Sony that it stinks. All these stigmata they are giving their copmpetitors, all the false praise for games that arent really worth it on their systems, it just makes me sad as a gamer. Its not that im a nintendo purist. Ive got a 360, a PS3 and even a vita for that matter. I dont favor anything over the other other than being a person who has grown up with Nintendo games, so its only natural that i have some kind of sweet spot for them. But stuff like that isnt really fair game if you ask me.
I tend towards the Nintendo console versions just because i love its community and the system itself. And constantly hearing such news just to hear a week later that the nintendo version did poorly (because they launched 2 weeks later...) just feals cheap. But just delaying the nintendo versions and the pc one is one coincidence too much for just beeing a "technical hicup" or something similar to that.
Like i said, im not upset, nor am i in "fanboy rage mode", its just that stuff like this is further tearing the gaming community as a whole apart. Nintendo is made the laughing stock, sony is king for doing nothing and microsoft is screwing people over ig time and people still follow them blindly, because certain brands are just labled with "cool" and "uncool". It just sickens me.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

I'm interested in when we will see some reviews. I want the 3ds version to be good! If not I guess ill save my money then for eshop and zelda!

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@Bulby I can think of a fair number of games that didn't work properly at all until two weeks after release when they were patched.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

I hope the Wii U version is the best console version. (Multiplayer was never something I particularly think would have suited any of the last two).

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

Maybe if it is one versus many (But Batman is much more powerful.) and it is well balanced. (Don't expect it to be though).

Senario

Senario said:

Well that is one other reason not to buy the game. Thank you for saving me money

Shworange

Shworange said:

It's a conspiracy. Sony and Microsoft are secretly paying studios money to sabatage Nintendo's 3rd party games. Then when they don't sell well, there's data to show that third party games don't sell with Nintendo. At least that's my tin foil hat musing for the day.

rjejr

rjejr said:

I was going to say this throws another log onto my continuing theory that W_D could perhaps be canceled on the Wii U, but it's only a 2 week delay, I can barely even acknowledge that as a delay.

Not after the week PS4 is having anyway.

Emblem

Emblem said:

Hmmmm, they said they had to omit the multi-player on Wii U in order to release the game at the same time as the other platforms. Now its getting delayed anyway.

Rafie

Rafie said:

@Einherjar It's okay. I can sympathize with your frustrations. I too am a long time Nintendo fan. Nintendo was the very first video game console I've ever owned. I've owned every Nintendo console except the N64 and Virtual Boy (if ya count that ;)) It's like people are praying for Nintendo's downfall. Why though? I'll admit that Sony and MS does some cutthroat business moves at times. Nintendo doesn't do that at all and yet they are getting shafted. I was royally upset that KH3 wasn't coming to the Wii U. KH started on Sony and Nintendo consoles. Now the XB1 is getting it, but not the Wii U. It's definitely capable. I still don't believe it's a conspiracy against Nintendo, but it is getting more difficult to ignore what's happening with them lately.

Rafie

Rafie said:

@rjejr OMGosh the PS4 is getting some bad news as of late. Everything is being pushed back. So you know Sony fans are outraged and some have definitely vocalized it. LOL The holiday's will belong to Nintendo this year. The 3DS and Wii U hardware and software are enticing.

Rafie

Rafie said:

@Shworange This only affects Europe, not America. Everything isn't a conspiracy against Nintendo. I would be more obliged if you can provide a credible link to support your claim about conspiracy. I know it feels like everyone is conspiring against them, but it's not that way. Instead of looking at it like everyone is conspiring against them, maybe you should look at some of the things Nintendo has done wrong here. The 3DS is doing fabulous. Better than every other console out there. The Wii U is the one that needs that extra push! Fantastic console with barely any 3rd party backing it. I hate it as much as the next Nintendo fan. Then I sit back and wonder why Nintendo didn't market themselves the way that they normally do. The Wii U needs more exposure. It's not a failure of a console like some people like to think. It's a wonderful console. I'm glad I'm a first day purchaser. I fully support Nintendo.

MEGAMAN_D

MEGAMAN_D said:

This has actually done me a favour, I got sonic lost world today and I wanna finish that, plus deus ex will be falling through my letter box next week also. I can wait 2 weeks.

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

Ouch, just ouch! And why? It's not like two weeks makes a big difference in development time. I still consider Warner Bros. a quality Nintendo supporter though and since I don't care about online, or the principal of not buying the game just because..., I can still see myself getting the Wii U version at a later date. Hey, at least we get DLC this time. :p

This is less conspiracy and more, well, Wii U not selling. I mean, if the system can't even catch up to PS Vita as I'm hearing, I wouldn't want to waste too much time on it either.

Charley_U

Charley_U said:

I pre prdered the game in N America, I hope it comes right away, unlike the pre ordered Lego city coming a week later. I just hope they continue making the arkham and assasins creed games for Wii u, or I may have to bite the bullet and get a ps4. I'm good for now though.

ferthepoet

ferthepoet said:

Nintendo of Europe delayed the release of Scribblenauts Unlimited until the game could be get for peanuts on pc and its sequel came out so nobody in Europe is gonna buy it on Wii U or 3DS, Nintendo of Europe must be part of a conspiracy to screw Nintendo

Charley_U

Charley_U said:

I just looked into the ps4, and it does not even come close to the Nintendo line up of games, I didn't even look at Microsoft since I have zero interest in their product. I feel good about having a Wii u when I ignore the negative press, and go by personal interest/satisfaction.

Marshi

Marshi said:

Id love to know why its been delayed. To think its a conspiricy when the states are getting both origins and blackgate on the same day as ps3/360 is just silly. Whats worth noting however is that the exact same thing happened with injustice,the states got the wiiu version on time,but europe had to wait a week. Why?!

LunaticPandora

LunaticPandora said:

I blame WB. They have proven themselves utterly incapable of releasing games when they're supposed to on Nintendo systems in Europe.

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

some how im just glad they didnt say US delayed too then for sure they be saying the same things again and how it didnt get good sales -___-

Samurai_Goroh

Samurai_Goroh said:

@ferthepoet (Puts tin foil hat on) It's worse than I thought, then. It's an inside job! They managed to infiltrate NoE! Nintendo loyalists, fetch yer' pitchforks and torches.

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

Does this affect digital sales as well? If it's a matter of stock and shipping I can't see why the digital versions would be delayed. But then again the fact that it is only a localised delay makes it unlikely certain aspects are still in development.
At the end of the day two week is nothing to me as it's still arriving well before Christmas.

AceTrainerBean

AceTrainerBean said:

I have thispre booked on the Wii U and I cannot wait to get it but this is ridiculous. I don't think third party publishers have any right to complain about bad sales on the Wii U when they do nothing but screw the consumers over. First there was no multiplayer and now they delay the game what the hell. I think they will lose a major chunk of their sales as most people with a Wii U have a ps3 or Xbox so why would they wait 2 weeks when they can get the game on day one. I will wait for the game but I don't think much other people will. It seems very unprofessional to me.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@AJWolfTill Its not impossible their are localisation things still being worked out this late in the game. (Anything that avoids a day one patch should always be avoided I think. Simply for the fact that those servers won't exist forever and if what is on the disk is totally broken then at that time it might as well be lost forever. (Doesn't really matter so much for multiplatform stuff like this but it starts trends - the 3DS seems to have the same problems now when what should be done is the cartridges replaced as they used to be.)).

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

@rjejr

If Ubi went as far as to cancel Watch_Dogs on Wii U I'd hope they also scrap it for everyother system as well. Just throw out the current build, start over from scratch building the game strictly for PS4/X1. I don't think that will happen though, this is strictly to get further out of the GTA V window and so Ubi doesn't take sales from itself in regards to AC IV.

SirMime

SirMime said:

If Warner had given any kind of reason for this it would've been better than just "hey wait two weeks longer for less of a game". Every turn with Origins has been a Bat-claw to the face. First we're the only console not getting any collector's editions, second no multiplayer, now a random two week delay. I JUST WANT TO PLAY THE STORY ALREADY!!!!!