Mega Man, Shin Megami Tensei And Ganbare Goemon Sequels Coming To Japanese Virtual Console Services

Posted by Damien McFerran

The 3DS and Wii U Virtual Console get the follow-on treatment

Japanese players will get the chance to go sequel-crazy next week thanks to the arrival of three classic games across the 3DS and Wii U Virtual Console services.

On the handheld front, Mega Man II (the Game Boy version, not the NES sequel) is hitting the 3DS eShop for 500 Yen. Although it's a slight improvement over the Game Boy original, it's not the Blue Bomber's finest hour, but should keep fans happy all the same.

For the Wii U there's Shin Megami Tensei II And Ganbare Goemon 2: Kiteretsu Shōgun Magginesu — both of which are SNES / Super Famicom titles and will cost 800 Yen each. The latter is better known in the west as the sequel to The Legend of the Mystical Ninja.

All of these downloads are scheduled to go live on September 25th.

MonocledMetroid

MonocledMetroid said:

That Goemon game isn't Legend of The Mystical Ninja, the one before it is, this one was never localized.

Mrclaycoat

Mrclaycoat said:

The legend of the Mystical Ninja was by far one of my favourite games for the SNES, man I hope it comes to North America one day!

Macarony64

Macarony64 said:

I want some mystical ninja action on my wiiu and 3ds also bring on this mystical ninja from the n64 now!

Eisenbolan

Eisenbolan said:

So Capcom WAS suppose to release on the GBA Megaman Collection of all 5 GB games. That fell through. Then an enhanced DS version was going to be released. That fell through. So instead of risking those games selling for clearance prices they want folks to buy each GB Megaman game for a fixed download price for far more profit.

Eisenbolan

Eisenbolan said:

@GeminiSaint After Capcom saying they would release the GB Megaman games as a bundle on the GBA and then saying it would be on DS and enhanced. You are now going to give them your money? For a single game.

Burn

Burn said:

I'd really like to play SMTII without, you know, having to rely on an emulator. What are the chances that this will be released outside of Japan?

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

Didn't realize they had SMT1 on the Wii U VC yet. I still wish they'd remake the first two games again. They've got good stories and good ideas, but they're definitely rough around the edges.

Ryno

Ryno said:

I would love to see Konami bring the Goemon games West. Heck, I would be happy to see any bit of love from Konami toward the Wii U at this point.

TimoteiWest

TimoteiWest said:

I'd probably pay some sort of inflated price to play the N64 Goemon games on my Wii U.

Despite their flaws, Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon and the sequel remain in my top 10 N64 games.. probably, I've not actually made the list.

GeminiSaint

GeminiSaint said:

@Eisenbolan
Oh, I do want all five GB Mega Man games on my 3DS. I don't care if they release them one at a time or not, as long as they release them all.

DESS-M-8

DESS-M-8 said:

I'd love Goemon mystical ninja 1 & 2 from the N64 to get a release in UK
Aswell as the SNES titles

One-Winged-Pit

One-Winged-Pit said:

I would honestly be totally fine if they just did a port of SMT I and II for the 3DS or Wii U (especially Nocturne!!) so I could play those two games for the first time.

AkDeath

AkDeath said:

Legend of the Mystical Ninja was such an incredible game, my sister and I played that for so many hours when we were young.

I've tried to play through Ganbare Goemon 2 but it gets difficult in spots when you need to know how to read japanese. Same goes for Goemon 3 and 4 (SNES).

JustinH

JustinH said:

I love those Goemon games and it's too bad all we've got on Virtual Console thus far are the SNES classic Legend of the Mystical Ninja and the abhorrent Game Boy game. The two localized N64 games are absolute classics — Goemon's Great Adventure is hard but one of the best 2D platformers of its day, and Mystical Ninja starring Goemon is a flawed yet wholly brilliant adventure game.

I'd play through the untranslated SNES games. It'd be nuts but man do I ever love those games.

alrighthearthis

alrighthearthis said:

I'm holding out hope for Legend of Mystical Ninja to make it's way over here but I won't hold my breath on Shin Megami Tensei II.

idork99

idork99 said:

I'm glad to see that they're releasing more Game Boy games for the 3DS with Mega Man 2.

There's still so much room for improvement on the 3DS eShop and Virtual Console! Currently, the Virtual Console has Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Gear, and NES games for purchase with many more games from these systems yet to be released. There's also the new exclusive eShop games, 3D Classics (only six games are available sadly), and downloadable retail games along with demos. This all sounds great but more could and should be done. How about the Sega 3D Classic games that are only currently available in Japan? How about some SNES and/or GBA games? What happened to the TG16 support?

The 3DS is a hot system at the moment. It's crazy to believe that it can only get better with more games, both old and new! And I hope it does :)

DjinnFighter

DjinnFighter said:

I imported all the 5 SNES Goemon games. I love this series. Ganbare Goemon 2 is one of the best games in the franchise, but I still prefer The Legend of the Mystical Ninja.. but it doesn't mean much since it's my favorite game of all time.

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

A lot of people doesn´t know you can download the first SNES Goemon in Wii Virtual Console.

BertoFlyingFox

BertoFlyingFox said:

Damn, I wish we got the Goemon series on WiiU VC. Especially the N64 game, that one was a-mazing.

I'd like the character in general to make a comeback on a Nintendo console along with Takamaru from Mysterious Murasame Castle.

juanwfzs

juanwfzs said:

Made me remember "Mystical Ninja - Starring Goemon" for N64 .... what a great and funny game it was ... happy to see Gamabare Goemon 2!!!