Video: Game Freak May Have Made Solitaire and Horse Racing an Awesome Combination

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

This 'aint the Grand National

Not so long ago Game Freak — best known for the Pokémon franchise — teased a new title with a silhouette, and then surprised us all by revealing an eShop title combining horse racing with Solitaire. Anyone who said "I knew that's what it'd be" is clearly not being entirely truthful.

But still, HarmoKnight was a hoot, so we should know that Game Freak wouldn't just produce a bog-standard solitaire game with some horses running on the top screen. As well as races driven by the card game, you get to nurture your horse and boost its performance, while you do also get to control the jockey at key moments.

At the moment it's only confirmed for Japan, but based on the trailer below we quite fancy this in the West. This mash-up may not seem like the most fun combination in theory, but after watching some footage it actually looks enjoyable, as well as being deliciously over the top. Check it out and let us know what you think.

[via siliconera.com]

SuperKMx

SuperKMx said:

Good lord, please let this come to Europe. I love horse racing. I love solitaire. Everyone's a winner.

Blue_Yoshi

Blue_Yoshi said:

Well would ya look at that I've noticed a lot of famous devs have been taking breaks from their main franchise lately.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Would like this to come to the West simply because its unique, and nice having a wide variety of games to find on the eshop.

Windy

Windy said:

I will buy this if it comes out. Looks Better than I even imagined it could have been. I knew this would be a cool mix. For people who like to play solitaire this is going to really add some fun

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

Wat? Awesomely bizarre combo! And what's up with that one horse that resembles a Japanese high school student? XD

Play-Doh_25

Play-Doh_25 said:

As long as the price is good I would definitely get this if t came to NOA. It looks like a lot more fun than it originally sounded like.

Mowzle

Mowzle said:

Absolutely hilarious trailer.
Not sure how I reached my age without learning how to play Solitaire,
but I think I'll have to learn!

DBMONK

DBMONK said:

WANT! hope we get it here in europe though, may be a little "too strange" for some people :(

Klinny

Klinny said:

Ahahaha. This looks silly. I want it XD

Edit: Ahh I just saw that you can breed them @_@ So cute

Player4

Player4 said:

Well, there was one guy who guessed it right (don't remember his name though) .. Also, can I use my Ditto to breed with the horses?

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I am interested in this one. An eShop title would not incur in huge localization costs.

The old man in the beret reminds me of Osamu Tezuka.

ecco6t9

ecco6t9 said:

Considering these are more or less retail titles I do expect a $15-$20 price tag.

But it looks worth it.

Shambo

Shambo said:

It looks great, but will probably considered 'too Japanese' for us westerners...

Henmii

Henmii said:

I don't know! It could be fun...or not!

The artstyle reminds me of Warioware or Rhythm heaven!!

Gioku

Gioku said:

@Marioman64 After a quick Wikipedia search, looks like they're probably using golf due to its higher skill-to-luck ratio over other solitaire games.

AMR

AMR said:

I should never have watched this, I knew that anything from GameFreak would be awesome and now the wait for this to come westward is going to kill me! Please release this in the west double quick time, I need this in my life! :)