Wii Karaoke U By JOYSOUND Is Coming To The West This Year

Posted by Damien McFerran

Sales of earplugs expected to skyrocket

Living room crooners take note: Nintendo has confirmed that it is bringing Wii Karaoke U by JOYSOUND to the west later this year.

The service will be available as a free download on the Wii U eShop, with a robust library of songs to select from via online streaming. In a unique twist, you'll be able to purchase time-limited passes to use the software. The available options are a single hour, a whole day or 30 days. Nintendo has yet to reveal the pricing structure for this system.

No additional hardware will be required as Wii Karaoke U makes use of the GamePad's built-in microphone. However, if you've already purchased SiNG Party and are looking for an excuse to dust off the bundled microphone, you'll be pleased to know that it's supported — as are other USB mics.

Three game modes are promised — the first scores you at the end of your session, while the second provides more detailed feedback on your vocal performance. The third game type is perhaps the most interesting; you'll be able to face off against other players using an online ranking mode. During your game, your personalised Mii will strut its stuff around the screen, and you'll be able to deck it out in a range of costumes to ensure it matches the tune you're currently warbling.

It certainly sounds like an interesting concept — especially the time-specific payment system. Are you readying your vocal chords as we speak, or is this really not your cup of tea? Drop a comment to tell us.

micronean

micronean said:

This is popular in Japan (at least from the number of microphones they sell alongside the Wii U), but I don't know about America. But who knows? It may very well become a craze like Nintendogs was, but for closet singers (rather than closet pet trainers).

BerendJan

BerendJan said:

i would love it, get 2 USB mics and blast of in an party. My daughters would like it also. But then they need to support local (dutch) songs.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Wow that is an interesting concept, paying for it for only the hour which you need when you have a party, friends over or whatever. I'm not into karaoke though.

piperrobbie

piperrobbie said:

I'm really interested in this but I have to know the pricing before I can feel completely one way or another about it. But still I love that it's coming to the west hopefully they leave a bunch of Japanese songs on it and just add the romaji lyrics (^o^)/

ULTRA-64

ULTRA-64 said:

I don't play them, but is there a rock band type game for Wii u? They're really popular now, and with the touch screen you'd think it would open up loads if possibilitys,Wii music style, to have a selection of instruments reproduced in the gamepad(keyboard for example). Could sell consoles if Wii u became THE choice fir music games???

TreesenHauser

TreesenHauser said:

Brace yourselves... Karaoke night at home featuring drunken crooning of "Don't Stop Believing" is coming.

element187

element187 said:

My wife would love this... but shes actually a really good singer, though so I wont mind it at all.

deitypower

deitypower said:

I feel sorry for my dorm mates. They'd be forced to listen to my horrible voice. I really like to sing but I don't have an amazing voice.

JumpnShootMan

JumpnShootMan said:

My wife would love it... we have sing party, and even though I'm not a huge fan of it, it would be great if there were more/better songs. Anyone know what the library is like for this in Japan? I think I saw something saying it was awesome and always growing (likely the reason for the subscription pricing)

AVahne

AVahne said:

The timed-usage apparently makes it very similar to Japan's karaoke cafes, so this is actually very cool.

SchamMan89

SchamMan89 said:

This is good news. I love the idea of renting out the library of songs for a cheap night in of Karaoke.

Now I just hope the music is good and expansive!

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

You know how Nintendo's investors keep pushing "free-to-play" but the company thoroughly rejects any such notion? I think this is the compromise we're going to see. I think Nintendo will start implementing timed leases of software use and free-to-play models for the games that are, to be blunt, unpopular. That way they can shut the investors up while keeping the traditional "buy a game and own it" model for their major franchises.

pc999

pc999 said:

That is greedy!!!!!

MS greedy... at least offer the title/songs for a full price too!

scottsensei

scottsensei said:

If they translate all the Japanese songs, I believe this will sell. I can see conventions opening up karaoke cafes using this, bars especially in college towns, hell SCHOOLS could see use for this. Multiple languages and a good rental fee and I could see this taking off.

Tra_Venous

Tra_Venous said:

Gimme some 70's Prog Rock and various forms of Metal and you can have my monies, Nintendo.

RetrogamerFan

RetrogamerFan said:

I still play RB3 occasionally but only ever on guitar/keyboard; i cannot sing a note so am not very interested in the game/app.
However, the idea of time limited dlc actually sounds really good in this case, that way you get access to your choice of song from (hopefully) a large on-line store. I don't know if they'd also have a pricing model for individual songs/packs alongside this if you want to practice them off-line or are particulalry keen on a certain song.