Sonic Lost World Has a Casino Stage, And it Looks Kind of Fun

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Addicted to the slots

Sonic Lost World is a title that's starting to shape up rather nicely, particularly with plenty of footage and images emerging for the Wii U version; while Sonic fans have every right to be cautious of the blue blur in a 3D game, early impressions have generally been positive.

The title has been on show at Comic-Con in San Diego, and Destructoid has played and posted some screens of a Casino Zone level, which is actually part of a Frozen Factory World. The disconnect between zones, names and worlds will apparently make sense in the final product, but the images (above and below) certainly bring to mind nostalgic moments from the memorable Sonic the Hedgehog 2 equivalent.

There are nods to nostalgia, apparently, with catchy music and hidden pinball areas to discover, including a mandatory section supposedly very similar to moments from the 16-bit age. Naturally this is the modern 3D cylindrical approach already seen in demos to date, however, and as well as looking for alternate routes this stage tasks you with picking up plenty of silver coins to buy access to certain sections. Overall, it seems to have been a well-received demo level.

It's nice to see a Casino Zone, of course, so check out the images and have a read of our own Sonic Lost World first impressions if you haven't already done so.

Thanks to EvisceratorX for the tip.

[via destructoid.com]

Related Games

Xtremetdifan

Xtremetdifan said:

Looking at the third screenshot it reminds me of sonic colors. To be honest I elated that were getting a casino night stage

NImH

NImH said:

Looks promising, but Colors won everyone over and disappointed me... so I'll reserve my excitement for a later date.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

This one looks great, and I actually forget about it when I prepare my Wii U budget for the rest of the year. Still waiting for reviews.

@Burning_Spear

If this game is better than 3D World or does what 3D World should have done (for you), then what is lost? You are still getting the game you want on a Nintendo system, and as an exclusive. And being third party, it actually has a chance of having its price lowered later on.

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

It seems like every Sonic game since Sonic 2 has a Casino Zone in some form or another

rjejr

rjejr said:

Because of this game my kids have started watching DBZ and playing Dragonball Sagas (old Gamecube game) on the Wii, so thanks to everyone who created those 6 Deadly Villians (whatever their name is).

ammar003

ammar003 said:

sweet i love casino stages from sonic 2 there so much fun but not all sonic games have casino stages

GreatPlayer

GreatPlayer said:

They should definitely have pinball as minigame. I remember casino pinball stage was pretty fun in Sonic 2 (but Sonic Pinball sucks).

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Casino levels have always been fun and interesting stages from what I can remember from past Sonic games. I feel like this game has a fair shot at beating low expectations, so hopefully it delivers.

Skyfox2000

Skyfox2000 said:

SEGA should bring Mulitplayer to this Game like the old genesis games and have Tails Follow Sonic it Could work considering how they slownd down sonic and not as fast in generations

TwoSmoove

TwoSmoove said:

@Knuckles I don't believe Sonic Adventure 2 had one.
Casino levels are usually the best levels in terms of music and design for me (Except Carnival Night Zone, which stumped me to no end). My favorite one so far is the one in Sonic Rush.

Tysamu

Tysamu said:

Gotta love the casino levels in sonic games. They always capture the gamplay, character, and music best with them

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

I thought it would be the 3D Mario that would get me to buy a Wii U, but I think it's going to be this game instead. Seems more and more awesome as new info and screenshots come out.

GreatPlayer

GreatPlayer said:

@TwoSmoove I actually like Sonic Advance more than Sonic in NDS. I died so many times because I cannot look at two screens simultaneously. Not because of the game but because of the two-screen console. It is really weird to have the game screen split in between when playing Sonic.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@sinalefa Well said indeed! To the folks who, how shall I say it, are less than thrilled about Mario 3D World... this is your game!!! It offers everything you'd want in an engaging, 3D platformer, and shares many similarities with the Galaxy series. Personally, I'm very pleased with Mario 3D World- it will offer one type of experience while Sonic Lost World will cover another. Between Sonic Lost World and Mario 3D World, everyone wins!!! :)

EvisceratorX

EvisceratorX said:

The more I hear about this game, the more awesome it seems it'll be. I sincerely hope this is Sonic's best yet!

JuanitoShet

JuanitoShet said:

While I agree that the Casino stages in pevious entries have been fantastic, I can't help but feel some disappointment with these news. The casino theme has been done to death with the Sonic franchise. It would have been nice if they would have prevented themselves from using it in just one game.

Varia01

Varia01 said:

Only news for the Wii U.... again??? The Casino levels look nifty, but that is only on the Wii U version, what about 3DS?

Marr_the_Great

Marr_the_Great said:

Can't wait to get stuck in the Pinball part for 20 minutes then lose a life. Do Sonic games still have a 20 minute time limit for an act? Are they still called acts? Am I old now?

I'm terrible at pinball anyway...