Pilotwings Soars Into The North American Wii U eShop This Thursday

Posted by Andy Green

Nintendo's website lists the Wii U Virtual Console release

Pilotwings, the flight simulator that launched alongside the Super Nintendo way back when, looks set to be released on the North American Wii U Virtual Console as it's been listed on the official Nintendo website.

The game sees you take to the skies using either a light plane, hang glider or a rocket belt. You can also do a bit of skydiving should you prefer. It's been listed for $7.99.

Of course, if you already own Pilotwings on the Wii Virtual Console you can upgrade to the Wii U version, which allows for GamePad-only play, for $1.50.

Will you be downloading this classic flight simulator? Let us know your thoughts on it in the comment section below.

Thanks to Ryan Millar for the tip!

[via nintendo.com]

JJOR64

JJOR64 said:

Never really played the SNES version. Really enjoyed the N64 and 3DS games though.

Akira_1975

Akira_1975 said:

The original was a l classic. I would love to see Nintendo bring out a new Pilotwings for the Wii U.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

I could never really get into the SNES version. The perspective and distance was pretty hard to judge for me. But when it hits the european VC, ill surely give it another try :)

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@Yrreiht: No, it's not. DEFINITELY not.

I never liked this game. Still have the cart, and I try it every now and then, but I still don't like it. Definitely not planning to download this junk. :P

TreesenHauser

TreesenHauser said:

YES! YES!

I downloaded this from the Wii VC, and initially I didn't like it. However, after really sitting down and learning how it's actually played, it grew on me. I look forward to spending $1.50 on this when it becomes available this Thursday.

Spartacus3765

Spartacus3765 said:

Ok... good to see them start back up with the Wii U virtual console re-releases. I might upgrade my current copy of this. But honestly, I'm still waiting for the N64 title re-releases. I'm a little more eager for those.

tanookisuit

tanookisuit said:

@Stuffgamer1 In your eyes, but you are dead wrong. This game may be the first in the trio of titles, but it offers by far the most variety in things to do. This title has the most air worthy craft/items to use, lots of stages, and even comes with quite a few hidden challenges with various characters and even closes out with a fun top down/angled view attack chopper game taking down ground based targets. Perhaps you're just no good at it and it clouds your judgement. THe 3DS game is the second nicest of the titles and that N64 game is fairly sad, playable and has its moments but the most limited and boring of the bunch (I have all 3.)

QuickSilver88

QuickSilver88 said:

When are the going to start bringing N64 games to VC and better yet GC games. I love the oldies and goodies but why is Nintendo being so damned conservative with VC on both 3DS and WiiU.

MegaWattsAdmin

MegaWatts said:

As much as I prefer to own the original cartridge, I stupidly sold mine and this looks like the next best way of me playing it again at a reasonable price! Let's hope Europe gets it soon!

gsmaciel

gsmaciel said:

Now THAT is a game that never gets old. I play it every couple of years and it always drags me in. Same with Pilotwings 64. Didn't play a lot of Resort, though...

WanderFan91

WanderFan91 said:

I love Pilotwings :) One of my favorite Generation One SNES games and one of my favorite SNES tech demos; Mode 7 is awesome! :)

daveh30

daveh30 said:

Question about upgrading a Wii VC copy.... do you still have access to the Wii copy in the Wii menu, or just the upgraded Wii U version. Not that it matters, really, just curious...

thefabfour64

thefabfour64 said:

They delayed it to next Thursday? Why? ROFL We aren't getting N64 and GBA any time soon. And what about Super Mario Bros.? Sigh.

SmaMan

SmaMan said:

@thefabfour64
For new consoles I'd say give them time...
As far as this game though... c'mon! You gave us a release date only to delay it a week at the last minute?! Guess they couldn't get the Mode 7 to work how they wanted.

@daveh30
You can still play them on the Wii. I've done this upgrade thing myself and they still download and play properly.