Super Retro Trio Plays SNES, Genesis, NES and GBA Games

Posted by Damien McFerran

The RetroN5 has a challenger

It would seem that 2013 is going to be a big year for new gaming hardware — not only will we see the PlayStation 4 and Next Xbox, but we've got two new retro systems to look forward to as well. Hyperkin's RetroN 5 will be joined by the Retro-Bit Super Retro Trio, which plays SNES, Genesis / Mega Drive, NES and (with an adapter) Game Boy Advance titles.

The system comes with three cartridge slots — SNES, Genesis and NES — as well as six (count 'em) controller ports for use with authentic, original pads. The console also comes with two controllers of its own. However, unlike the RetroN 5 — which boasts HDMI — the Trio is limited to S-Video and composite AV.

The cost? A very reasonable $69.99, but you'll need to lay out an additional $39.99 if you want to play Game Boy Advance games as they require an adapter, which is pictured below. A bundle which includes the Trio and the adapter will be available for $89.99.

Distributor Innex is showing the system at E3 this year, and we're looking to secure some hands-on time as soon as possible.

[via polygon.com]

SwerdMurd

SwerdMurd said:

well that's awfully nice looking. That price point is pretty nice... Did they specify GBA only - no GB / GBC support?

CapnPancakes

CapnPancakes said:

I've been considering the RetroN5 when it comes out, but I'll be keeping an eye on this now as well.

Luigifan141

Luigifan141 said:

Having a seperate GBA slot on the RetroN 5 is much better than having to use an inconvenient adapter that will take up a cartridge slot like in the Super Retro Trio. Plus, the Super Retro Trio just seems like it's a glorified RetroN 3. I'll probably pick up the RetroN 5 instead, but this still looks kind of interesting.

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

For one, this is far more pretty than the Retron5 but the lack of GBA support out of the box and no HDMI or any shader options might be a deal breaker for me. Time will tell, but I will surely pick one of these consoles down the line, I must retire my 21 year old PAL SNES.

nocode

nocode said:

If my original consoles (and crt tv) ever die, I'll consider something like this. But you really can't beat the real thing.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

@nocode: And even if my original consoles die or my crt tv dies they are easy enough to find and replace.

Luigifan141

Luigifan141 said:

@FernandoMachado Yes, they are! I believe the patients for the NES, SNES, and Genesis hardware has expired, so other companies are able to use their hardware to make their own, IIRC. This is why small companies like Hyperkin still haven't used other systems in their consoles like the N64, as the patient for the N64 hasn't expired yet after all of this time.

Squid

Squid said:

That's one sexy beast, but the price is a little to much for me. I'll just stick to my Retro Duo, thank you~...

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

Looks nice but knowing Retro-Bits incompatibility issues with some games, I probably won't buy it. The Super Retro Adapter would be cool though if only you could play GBA games from that cart on a real SNES.

Intrepid

Intrepid said:

The RetroN 5 seems better in every regard, but one thing I like about this system is that all of the contoller ports are on the front, as they should be. The RetroN 5 has controller ports on each side of the system.

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

@FernandoMachado - The thing is that emulators of old software aren't illegal because of homebrew and similar applications. Actually emulating Nintendo games or licensed games on another console is illegal, which is unfortunately all anyone is going to do with it. Nintendo cant take legal action because there's nothing illegal about the machine itself.

AVahne

AVahne said:

The RetroN-5 seems to be of much better value and may even be cheaper than this thing.

fluggy

fluggy said:

Yawn! My Wii, Wii u and nexus 7 can do that poifecly!!! Poifecly a says!!!

Wheels2050

Wheels2050 said:

What's the compatibility like with these things, though? It's a hell of a lot of work to get perfect emulation for one machine, let alone several.

Do these machines have more or less of the problems of other emulators?

KAHN

KAHN said:

meh. why would i buy this when i can just play games illegally on my computer (not saying i do, just using it as an example)?

Windy

Windy said:

I wish they would make a TurboGrafx version I worry my old TG16 hardware might give in someday.

Windy

Windy said:

TenEighty

TenEighty said:

Looks nicer the the RetroN 5 but the HDMI might be a big selling point depending on how well it does.

ogo79

ogo79 said:

ive been using my retron 3 for years to save all my original systems...all this is going to do is make hyperkin step their game up and make sure they come out better.

MakeMyBiscuit

MakeMyBiscuit said:

No love for the Sega 32X? Oh well.

I would consider this if it could play Sega Master System games but until then I'm fine with my Sega Genesis, 32X, Sega CD combo.

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

@Damo - Yea...that is what I said. Unless the machine comes with built in copyrighted games or has an emulator on it then it is legal and can be used for legal purposes.

GN004Nadleeh

GN004Nadleeh said:

so do the people who claim wii u is next gen (even though it is last gen/current) think that this RetroN5 is also next gen? from what I've read here most like to go by the date the console was released instead of its capabilities and graphic power

TreesenHauser

TreesenHauser said:

@GN004Nadleeh No, it's not next-gen. It doesn't count because it's a retro console made by a third-party. Each of the systems that comprise this one have already been released, so this counts as more of a reissue console than a brand-new one.

And yeah, Wii U is now "current-gen" alright. :)

GN004Nadleeh

GN004Nadleeh said:

the wii u was never even 7th generation, more like 6.5, but i own em all anyways so i win! even got a lame x one in the girls room! (adult girls who play strip cod) woo hoo for games! now go back to caring about how much money a company make instead of playing the games. most of you don't even have a wii u and sales prove that