Kickstarter Campaign Opens For A Hat In Time

Posted by Orla Madden

Wii U version possible, although it's not promised

Back in February, we reported that 3D platformer A Hat In Time could make its way to Wii U, after developer Jonas Kærlev explained how he was in touch with a publisher that had taken an interest in bringing it to the system.

A Kickstarter campaign has just launched for the beautiful cel-shaded title, with the target of $30,000; there are 29 days to go for the campaign. At the time of writing there's been a significant burst in donations with over half of the money already raised, and once the goal is reached it'll be confirmed for Windows and Mac.

The developer, Gears For Breakfast, has said on its Kickstarter page that if all goes to plan, we may see a release on the Wii U; nothing is promised, however.

Additionally, we have plans on releasing console versions if everything goes to plan. Being big Nintendo fans ourselves, we are talking with a publisher to help making a Wii U version. However, at this point we are not able to promise anything - so stay tuned and cross your fingers!

Even though nothing is set in stone, we can't help but feel this deserves a worthy spot in the Wii U eShop. All we can do is cross our fingers and hope for the best.

Are you hoping this'll see the light of day on the Wii U? Take your hats off, check out the pitch video and let us know what you think.

[via kickstarter.com]

erv

erv said:

Funny how kickstarter has set a trend where people throw more money at games that aren't out yet than they do at games you can actually buy and play.

Shadow100

Shadow100 said:

This looks very different than what it looked like a few months ago.
I'm unsure of whether that's good or bad...

Bulbousaur

Bulbousaur said:

Its already at $17,000, and the goal is $30,000. I'm pretty sure it will make it, but I'm not putting money down until the Wii U version is confirmed.

lazyinsu

lazyinsu said:

I absolutely love cel-shaded graphic games (Klonoa, LOZ: TWW)! This game does look interesting.... Hopefully it comes to the Wii U <3

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

Wow, I bet it'll make ALL it's stretch goals, its already more than halfway through, in only 1 day!!

Mollutje

Mollutje said:

Very WW-esque. I'm not sure if the gameplay will be any good, but I'm loving the aesthetic!

HeatBombastic

HeatBombastic said:

@NintenU Those people are called generous and investing, nowhere near stupid.

Crowdfunding allows the gamer to decide what game they want, rather than it being approved by the publisher. Do you really think most of these indie games would release without crowdfunding? They wouldn't be made, or they wouldn't have the same amount of freedom/quality they could have from crowdfunding.

There is no rational reason for you to be calling Kickstarter a bad thing, because people asking for money isn't negative in general.

onex

onex said:

I understand it may be easier to develop for PC/Mac, but this type of game seems amiss on anything aside from a Nintendo console. If they really want to see a return on investment, they'd best bring it to the eShop!

XavandSo

XavandSo said:

I'm on the verge of funding this game. As the Nintendo Ultra 64 is my favourite console of all time; I'm very much willing to splash some cash to resurrect the greatest genre ever. The collect-a-thon platformer.

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

"Kickstarterlife". Okay, cue the hateful comments now everybody:) JK. All joking aside, I wish these things were around a long time ago. Think of all the ideas for great games that never came to see the light of day due to lack of resources. Can you even begin to imagine just exactly what we as gamers missed out on?

CrabGats

CrabGats said:

I'll definitely donate if we get some Wii U confirmation before the Kickstarter is over... it looks pretty, I'll definitely get it if it comes out on Wii U. My current PC isn't made for gaming, and a gaming PC isn't anywhere in my future, so it's the only way I'd be playing it.

Phle

Phle said:

I would support the project if it was sure to be released in the Wii U eShop. It looks great, a very interesting game, but the thing is, I don't use Steam, and probably never will. There is a tiiiny chance I would get it as it will work on Mac, but there is so many other games that are great and I have decided that I have to make selections, as I can't get everything. Right now, I play 3DS and Wii U games, and additionally World of Warcraft now and then.

Captain_Toad

Captain_Toad said:

3D platformers (espicially of this kind) are so few and far between these days.
I'm pretty sure this'll be WiiU bound and get its funding goal if not all the stretch goals considering the rate it's going.
This I want.

Ndayday

Ndayday said:

People shouldn't just get on the hate kickstarter bandwagon at the mere mention of it. if you watch the video the guy gives nice reasons for the kickstarter and takes into consideration what would happen if the funding didn't happen.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Oh man I'm pumped to play a new 3D platformer collect-a-thon game, they're the best! I really hope it comes to Wii U & i really hope it gets tonnes more money to add lots of more chapters & content to the game. Wierd that its coming to Wii U isn't a stretch goal but rather is coming down to a publisher but I guess that means its more likely to come to Wii U quicker after the game's PC release I hope. Good luck 'A Hat in Time' :D

FiveDigitLP

FiveDigitLP said:

Not sure if I'm going to back it, but this game certainly looks like it belongs on the Wii U. The art style is so reminiscent of Wind Waker. I just have to keep reminding myself that it's a 3D platformer, though! (Not that that's a bad thing, just not what Wind Waker is.)

devilwaffle

devilwaffle said:

Really hoping for that WII U Release! (Mostly because my computer is horrible and wouldn't be able to run it) So, like Bulby, I wont give cash until I know I can play it.

FiveDigitLP

FiveDigitLP said:

Also, the gameplay kind of reminds me of Alice: Madness Returns. As long as the levels don't drag on too long, then this game shouldn't suffer from the same pitfalls as that one did. Also, this looks to be more open while Alice was more linear.

Blue_Yoshi

Blue_Yoshi said:

YESSSSSSS FINALLY AN INDIE GAME DEVELOPER IS TAKING ADVANTAGE OF 3D PLATFORMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Like seriously we've seen enough 2D Platformers in the indie game scene and on Kickstarter. Time for some real platforms! :D

Prof_Elvin_Gadd

Prof_Elvin_Gadd said:

Wario's crowdfarter is a hilarious take on kickstarter, and if one watches the video they will find there are many truths in it. I don't really like the idea of kickstarter, but if this game comes to Wii U I'll get it.

deitypower

deitypower said:

@erv It just feel good having to be able to help people especially in the field or industry you really like

allav866

allav866 said:

I really hope this comes to Wii U. I haven't played a collect-a-thon in a good while.

RedRocBoy

RedRocBoy said:

Get the hell outta here! If they can't confirm a Wii U version then their not getting any money from me.

MeWario

MeWario said:

This looks soooo cool. They're clearly big Nintendo fans, this gam practically looks like it was designed in the 64 days (sept prettier) I want so bad!

Peach64

Peach64 said:

Usually I just donate to kickstarters done by people that I know make games I enjoy. David Braben, Tim Schaefer, Peter Molyneux etc. I'm making an exception here though, because this looks like it has the potential to be great. Big thumbs up for a female protagonist too.

I wish Nintendo themselves would do something like that. We used to haveMario 64, Donkey Kong 64, two Banjo games and a Conker game, now it's just... Mario. Mario Galaxy was one of my favourite games of all time, I'm NOT complaining about it, but I would love to see them do a 3D platformer with a new IP that still has that colourful Nintendo feel to it. On other consoles, the first year is usually the time for new IPs, as publishers don't want to put their 'big names' out there when hardware numbers are so slow. It could have been the perfect time for Nintendo to give us a non-Mario 3D platformer.

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

I usually really hate KickStarter. How the heck do people get $200,000 over the freaking goal? Why are people are just handing these fools money for no reason? I'm not saying fool as an insult BTW. I just think a goal for more than publishing is taking advantage of people.
I'm happy that C-Wars is coming to Wii U. I admit it looks interesting, but there's no way I would have ever donated. I don't even have any money myself.
This goal seems more realistic, because it looks like they're only asking for publishing fees.
Maybe I should start a Kickstarter campaign to donate to KickStarter.

yoshisaredragon

yoshisaredragon said:

@erv
Its funny how some people dont understand that kickstarter is a way to get games out that are creative and amazing, instead of only buying the game, you can contribute to make someones dream come true, while getting a lot of things in return, funny huh

erv

erv said:

@yoshisaredragon I am loving the amount of people that take observation as criticism.

I like the opportunities kickstarter provides and love the way people pledge support, no question. It's just the imbalance that shows in terms of real life sales after the finished product gets released that makes me wonder if people would not just buy real games as they are available if creative concepts were welcomed more in the marketplace.

Of course, once a fine game gets released and reviewed many people start to critique more in general, hurting sales of everything that doesn't instantly ring a bell in the limited ways we are familiar with games and genres causing creative concepts to have a hard time selling.

Kickstarter is a great opportunity to kill most of that risk, for sure. But the culture of it being used speaks volumes about the lack of open mind the average consumer has. Worse, this culture is being nourished by ourselves.

swordx

swordx said:

This looks amazing! I'd buy it in a heartbeat if it came to the Wii U. I hope it hits the 7th world stretch goal. 7>5.