Harvest Moon GBC Sows Its Seeds in North America This Week

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

The harvest is ready

Since it was announced earlier this year, and subsequently arrived in Europe at the end of March, a few North American download updates have had at least one polite enquiry along the lines of "where's Harvest Moon?" We haven't had an answer, but thankfully Natsume has confirmed that the Game Boy Color title will hit the 3DS Virtual Console this week.

In terms of what we thought of this title, we enjoyed parts but had a sense that too much depth had been stripped away; you can read all about it in our Harvest Moon review.

So, how many of you'll be preparing some funds to pick this up tomorrow?

[via destructoid.com]

HeroOfCybertron

HeroOfCybertron said:

I'll believe it when I see it on the eshop tomorrow because last month it was supposed to come out but at the last minute Nintendo delayed it and MegaMan IV was the only vc game out that week and now MegaMan V is supposed to come out this week too.

Edit: Ok I know see that Nintendo know has Harvest Moon GBC listed on there site as comeing out tomorrow too.

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

I'll pick it up, but i'd much prefer rereleases of HM64 and the Rune Factory series.

Tmdean

Tmdean said:

I think this was the last 2D Harvest Moon that used pixel art instead of godawful pre-rendered sprites. It's probably worth getting just for that reason alone.

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

I've never played a Harvest Moon game. Not sure if I should get this, knowing that AC:NL is just around the corner.

Burning_Spear

Burning_Spear said:

@berzerker99 Always willing to help someone interested in HM. The best starting points would be Magical Melody (GameCube/Wii), Harvest Moon 64 (N64), the original SNES (available on the Wii Virtual Console), Friends of Mineral Town (GBA) or Back to Nature (PlayStation/PSP).

Electricmastro

Electricmastro said:

Cool, though i'm not hugely interested in a game like Harvest Moon. I just bought Wario Land: Shake It earlier this month and i'm saving for when the Zelda Oracle games release on May 30th.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Excellent I was waiting for this game since its announcement. Looks like I will be picking this up tomorrow.

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

@Burning_Spear I'm still thinking about getting it. Is this game the first entry in the series? (Forgive me if that's mentioned in the review/article. I just skimmed it)

Burning_Spear

Burning_Spear said:

@berzeker99 It is a very, very stripped-down version of the original, which itself is merely a shell of all of the games that followed. To be precise, in the GB/GBC game they removed entire features, such as the town and wooing a bride. This game is really not a good ambassador of the series. I'd only recommend it for HM vets who want the nostalgia of it. If you can afford $15, buy Magical Melody for Wii off the Natsume Web site. That's the most representative version of HM. It has all of the elements and in great balance.

Midnight3DS

Midnight3DS said:

While others have fuller features, this still may be enjoyed for it's bare bones simpleness and casuality.

Ralizah

Ralizah said:

So, this is HM without marriage or pages of bs dialogue to scroll through from a million different characters, right? I'm in. I'll get a more fully-featured HM again at some point, but right now I just want to expand my crops and buy more animals.

Between this and Starship Damrey this is going to be an expensIve week for me, eshop-wise...

Burning_Spear

Burning_Spear said:

^^^ Don't count on buying too many animals in this version. And you only get two crop types per season.

russellohh

russellohh said:

I'm getting it launch-minute. I don't like the lack of marriage- Friends of Mineral Town and Harvest moon 3 are far superior in that aspect. But for what, $5? That's like... 15 minutes of pay? It's definitely worth that. It was my first Harvest Moon, and I now own 17 of them.

Morpheel

Morpheel said:

OMG YES!
Erm, I mean, great news, I'll make sure to obtain enou credit to download this as soon as possible.

Donjwolf

Donjwolf said:

Too late. Already used my money to buy Crimson Shroud when it was on sale. Got nothing left now for HM GBC.

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

This seems like a pretty cool Harvest Moon game. I'd prefer to play an entry in this series with more depth though.

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

Still have the cart but its still nice to see this game get a release. Hopefully HM3 sees a release someday too, its easily the best of the 3 GBC games.

To add to @Burning_Spear's list of good starting points in the series, Animal Parade would also be a good choice for a more recent/modern Harvest Moon. The game has a pretty good balance between content, story, and modern gameplay/features without impeding progress much at all.

Selene

Selene said:

@BlackSpy I would say they're both kinda similar games in that you're free to do whatever you like, unlike most games that have preset goals. But they're both totally unique games in pretty much everything, even their similarities. I got into HM long before AC. Miss the simplicity of earlier HM games, which is why I've been so looking forward to this release.

Pod

Pod said:

This was one of the first to let you play as a girl.

...and sit around in a hot spring. As a girl.