Ubisoft To Publish Cloudberry Kingdom This Summer

Posted by Andy Green

No set date just yet

Cloudberry Kingdom was supposed to be released on the Wii U eShop in March but as many eagle-eyed gamers may have noticed, it didn't make it.

Fortunately, the game hasn't disappeared from the face of the earth, it's just been pushed back and it now has a new publisher some people may have heard of. Yes, Ubisoft will be publishing Cloudberry Kingdom on Wii U, Xbox 360 and PC.

Pwnee Studios, the developer, has touted it as the most difficult game in the Wii U eShop and judging by the trailers we've seen so far it certainly looks it. However, players shouldn't be put off as Pwnee Studios revealed in our developer interview that the game will feature a host of different difficulty levels:

We actually have a huge range of difficulties, we just like to show off the hardest in the trailers because it looks cool ... We have had 5 year old children easily dispatch our easier levels, and we've had grown men throwing tantrums at some of our hardest.

Originally a successfully funded project on Kickstarter last summer, Cloudberry Kingdom's levels randomly generate with the player's skill level in mind. There will also be a function allowing you to create your own characters and challenges.

Are you looking forward to this one? Will you be playing it on hardcore? Let us know in the comments section below.

[via gonintendo.com]

MasterWario

MasterWario said:

I'm interested, but I have no plans for it until I see some reviews. I wonder why Pwnee made their way to Ubisoft...

Gridatttack

Gridatttack said:

Waiting for the review too see generally how it is. But first impressions, it looks nice.

Wowfunhappy

Wowfunhappy said:

I backed this game on Kickstarter and thus have been able to play all of their prerelease builds as they come out. The game is a lot of fun. Randomly generated levels aren't AS good as hand-crafted ones, but they're quite good.

They're... different... than human designed levels. They're chaotic, but have a constant sense of forward momentum... When you play, you'll learn that, despite all the fireballs and spikes and enemies circling around you, if you keep trust your instincts and move forward, a path WILL emerge. On the other hand, if you linger, you'll usually die. The levels reward you for trusting your gut, rather than be cautious. They force you take leaps of faith, and react quickly.

And of course, you never run out of levels.

I'm surprised the game is being pushed back. It already feels pretty much complete. Of course, I only know how it works on the PC, not other consoles.

tripunktoj

tripunktoj said:

OK, now I hope they make Cloudberry Kingdom a Uplay enabled game, I'd love trying to unlock Actions ang getting Units and Rewards if they are implemented correctly.

edhe

edhe said:

I thought the whole point putting it on kickstarter was to bypass the big publisher.

It was crowd funded to the tune of $23,000, and now Ubisoft are involved, funding the release with their money.

Why didn't Pwnee studios go to Ubisoft in the first place. Pwnee Studios may have to hand their Indie cred card in.

Wowfunhappy

Wowfunhappy said:

It's easy to get a publisher's attention once your game is almost complete, which Kickstarter enabled them to do.

My guess is they ran out of money. They raised only $20,000, which isn't really a lot when you compare it to most games.

luminalace

luminalace said:

They would need a big publisher backing it to release on the Xbox 360. MS console is expensive to release on.

Astro

Astro said:

One of only two WiiU eshop games I'm interested in. The other one is obvious ;)
Will probably get shovel knight and 1001 spikes on 3DS.

Hyperstar96

Hyperstar96 said:

They also said Cloudberry Kingdom will now be released on 360 and PS3 thanks to the partnership.

DreamDrop

DreamDrop said:

Still got the beta on Steam, it's a fun little game to waste time on...and that's pretty much it.

Moshugan

Moshugan said:

Might I just say that this game looks rubbish.
It's like a cheap flash game with uninspired gameplay.