The Konami Code Is 27 Years Old This Week

Posted by Damien McFerran

Raise a glass to more than a quarter-century of cheating

The Konami Code has gone from being a developer's secret workaround to one of video gaming's most famous cheats — and it's 27-years-old this week.

According to lore, the code was created by Kazuhisa Hashimoto, who was developing the home port of Gradius for the Famicom / NES.

Hashimoto apparently found the game too taxing to properly test, so he came up with a special code to make the process easier — it awarded the player a full complement of power-ups. Rumour has it that Hashimoto forgot to remove the code when the game was finished, and the rest is history.

To celebrate 27 years of cheating, Jace Hall has created this video. Enjoy, and afterwards be sure to post your favourite instances of the Konami Code throughout gaming history.

[via kotaku.com]

Splat

Splat said:

If I make it till 90 years old on my death bed I will still remember this code.

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

I haven't used cheat codes in quite a few years. Most games don't even offer them at all these days. Even so, I have known about this code for quite a while but just recently found out that it was originally started by Koonami while playing Abobo's Big Adventure.

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

Never heard of this code. I remember that part on Wreck-it-Ralph though, and I didn't know that was a real code he put into it.

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

Test this code with every game you play ;)

I also seem to recall a Simpsons episode in which Homer recites the Konami code while giving thanks at the dinner table, but the episode number has escaped me.

sikthvash

sikthvash said:

Up, Down, Left, Right, A and Start is one of my favourite all time cheats! Sonic FTW! I also remember all the ones for Earthworm Jim on the Mega Drive ^_^

3DSLUIGI

3DSLUIGI said:

Ah yes, the Konami Code. One of the most memorable codes in all of video game history imo. May it FOREVER live on in all gamers hearts! ;)

oldaq

oldaq said:

Back during the French presidential elections of 2012, typing the code into the website for candidate François Hollande would bring up a Double Rainbow.
Now guess who's president now...? :)

3DSLUIGI

3DSLUIGI said:

@FernandoMachado

It's funny you bring up the part about waiting for magazines to come along. I think back in the early days of NINTENDO POWER , the Konami Code was featured in at least 1 or 2 issues of the magazine. That imo is how much this code ruled so much.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

Cheat codes were very popular back in the 8 and 16-Bit days. I usually tend to go to the store to buy a copy of the next issue of Tips and Tricks just to see if I could find the latest codes for many of my favorite games (most of them were Mortal Kombat games).

HeatBombastic

HeatBombastic said:

I love this code. Although, I never noticed that was the code King Candy put in. I facepalmed myself.

iphys

iphys said:

It was awesome for Contra, but the game that surprised me the most was Tengen Tetris. I remember my friend telling me to pause the game and enter it, and I thought she was kidding, so I did it as a joke, and I was shocked that it actually converted my piece into the I piece I needed to score a tetris.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

The most famous video game code every. I used it mostly in Contra and a variation in TMNT III: The Manhattan Project (I think the A and B buttons were reversed). Brings back so many memories.

@iphys: AH Tengen Tetris the best Tetris on the NES system.

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

I liked it in Drawn Together, when Toot uses it to control Xandir (himself partly based on Link).

Fwow13

Fwow13 said:

Crazy Dave in Popcap Games' Plants vs Zombies starts to tell you this code on the final level. The Konami code is a piece of video game history that I hope will never die. I doubt it will, given how prolific its references are in pop culture.

timp29

timp29 said:

I remember Star Wars and Street Fighter II: Turbo having a great codes too. In some cases entering the code was a skill in itself. I'm looking at you Super Star Wars..

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

Anyone else just try tapping the code on this article to see if anything would happen?

Nintendolife I am disappoint

SwerdMurd

SwerdMurd said:

this and the code to get directly to Tyson on punchout are 2 codes I'll never forget

Urbanhispanic

Urbanhispanic said:

Ahhhhh......I remember this code as it could be used for several of Konami's older titles during the 80's. I used it for Contra as I STILL can't beat the game without it. :(

eleven59

eleven59 said:

never will forget this code.. unlike my passwords just to log in to some of these sites....

and they say cheaters never win!! HA!

astroshamu

astroshamu said:

For any WebOS Smartphone, to enable developer mode for it you would go to the search bar or "Just Type" and type in upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart

Captain_Gonru

Captain_Gonru said:

I used it in TMNT II: The Arcade Game for level and life select (though why you'd put in the code and not pick 10, the max, is beyond me).

Captain_Gonru

Captain_Gonru said:

And, if I recall properly, a few of the SNES games substituted the L and R shoulder buttons for left and right.