Shovel Knight Kickstarter Campaign Ends After Reaching All Stretch Goals

Posted by Andy Green

Over $300,000 was raised

Yacht Club Games announced its first project a month ago in the form of Shovel Knight. The developer set up a Kickstarter campaign in order to achieve further funding for the game and it has been astonishingly successful.

The campaign has now come to an end and the developer managed to obtain a further $311,502 in funding, which is outstanding considering the original goal was a meagre $75,000. Of course, once the goal was hit, Yacht Club Games threw in some stretch goals for good measure and we're thrilled to let you know every single one of them was met.

Thanks to the additional funding there will now be a music player, achievements, a gender swap mode and a new game+, which has tougher enemies but allows you to start over with your upgrades. There will also be a challenge mode for you to test your shovel skills and a four player battle mode included. You'll be able to play as one of the Order of No Quarter as well, which will change the dynamics of the game.

Yacht Club Games has also promised some more "mystery stuff" to thank the fans for backing the project with such enthusiasm. There's no official release date for Shovel Knight yet, but it'll be available in both the Wii U and 3DS eShop.

For a bit more insight into how the development process went, check out our interview with Yacht Club Games. It's safe to say we're looking forward to this one.

Do you like the looks of Shovel Knight? Let us know your thoughts on it in the comments section below.

[via kickstarter.com]

Related Games

Yellowgerbil

Yellowgerbil said:

I am definitely going to pick this game up at some point, if it is good then I will pick it up on release, but if the reviews are mixed then I will wait for a sale.

SilentHunter382

SilentHunter382 said:

I backed the game but have yet to decide if I should get it for the Wii U or 3DS version. It all depends if Yacht Games decide to do the 4 player battle mode for the 3ds.

If they don't it will either be the wii u for the battle mode or the 3ds for portability.

seronja

seronja said:

i hope that a demo will come soon, because i still can't decide wich version i want to get it for, Wii U or 3DS xD and i'm happy it reached all stretch goals, it just proves that now i will get the game 100% =)

Sonicfan11589

Sonicfan11589 said:

It said on i think it was the kickstarter page or something that guaranteed delivery by Sept 2013. Hopefully it's sooner than that. It does look like a great game. It has the nostalgia feel of NES games but has the content of modern day games. I plan on getting it for Wii U.

LavaTwilight

LavaTwilight said:

It looks great and I'll almost definitely pick this up for the eShop! I wanted to pledge but I'm still not fully convinced on the Kickstarter dealy but I'm glad all the goals have been met even without my help.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Wow! Awesome! Radical!! :D I'm tonnes pumped for Shovel Knight :D I didn't pledge to kickstarter as its not my thing but I will definitely be buying it when it comes to the Wii U eShop. Very glad it reached all its stretch goals :D I'm heaps pumped for Sept. this year now :D

BennyFresh

BennyFresh said:

I played the demo they had set up at PAX East and i was rad. Yacht Club Games is made up of people who previously worked at Wayforward, so they have a pretty solid background. They guys I talked to were really cool and had some great ideas about what they want to do with the game. I made an account just to kickstart this, I can't wait. Even if this kind of game isn't really your thing you should at least take a look at it.

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

The sad thing is that battle mode/multiplayer probaubly won't be coming to the 3ds because the multiplayer is on one system while the 3ds is wifi.

Weedy

Weedy said:

I didn't back this but if it turns out as good as it looks I'll definately pay for it on the eshop.

Prof_Elvin_Gadd

Prof_Elvin_Gadd said:

They should do a $20 or so "cross-buy" option where one gets both the Wii U AND 3DS versions, and allow one to share save files from the 3DS to Wii U and vice versa as well.

Reddaye

Reddaye said:

The game looks amazing. I didn't donate to the Kickstarter, but I'll be happily buying the game when it finally gets released. I may even double dip on 3DS and Wii U.

Azikira

Azikira said:

I was there during their livestream, they're pretty cool people!

Also they even said good night to me on video!! I felt so special :D

Klimbatize

Klimbatize said:

Looking forward to this, and I'm glad they hit all their stretch goals. I backed it and will be getting the 3DS version. Too bad that likely won't have Battle mode but I don't play much multiplayer on my 3DS unless it's wifi anyway.

pikku

pikku said:

So excited for this game and indie stuff usually doesn't get me excited. :O

GreenSpleen

GreenSpleen said:

This was the first and only kickstarter I donated to so this is great news. Everything about the game and the people behind it made me an instant fan. Can't wait for sept.

Squid

Squid said:

I funded this at the last minute, and I can't say enough how excited I am. I'm only a little disappointed that the 3DS version won't have multiplayer, as I don't have a Wii U and 3DS is my only option besides PC (rather not have it on that). Maybe one day...

Byron-3D

Byron-3D said:

:) its always good when goals get met and exceeded like this, Il be keeping an eye on this to see what comes of it

Bucho

Bucho said:

So glad i will be getting my code for the 3DS some day in the fall, this game is brilliant

iPruch

iPruch said:

I pledged $70 and I will get the 3DS version, a physical box, a printed manual and a physical soundtrack :3