Shigesato Itoi Thanks EarthBound Fans For Their Support

Posted by Andy Green

"Thank you for all the requests. They made me very happy."

One of the most popular announcements that took place during the recent Nintendo Direct was the confirmation that EarthBound would be making its way to the Wii U Virtual Console.

Fans of the game - known as Mother 2 in Japan - have been clamoring at Nintendo to release a downloadable version since the conception of the Virtual Console on the Wii.

Shigesato Itoi, the game's creator, has since posted a message on Miiverse thanking fans for their ardent support:

Dear Earthbound / MOTHER2 fans outside of Japan: Thank you for all the requests. They made me very happy. Now with the re-launch, I am looking forward to meet new friends. Potential!!

Are you looking to forward to EarthBound's release on the Wii U Virtual Console? Have you played it before? Let us know your thoughts on it in the comments section.

[via nintendoeverything.com]

Deathgaze

Deathgaze said:

I already own a complete in box copy but will buy this to show that EarthBound fans exist and ready to support them if/when they decide to translate MOTHER1 and MOTHER3.

R-L-A-George

R-L-A-George said:

I have not but I am very intrigued. However I don't have a WiiU. I'd buy it on 3DS if they released it. Though I wouldn't be surprised if they do a 3D Classics edition.

ajcismo

ajcismo said:

Can't wait. Sent many a note to Nintendo over the years about getting this on the VC. I'd love to hear how they got past the licensing issues with some of the music, but it wouldn't surprise me if something got dropped here or there.

Prof_Elvin_Gadd

Prof_Elvin_Gadd said:

I noticed I could go on Mother 2's Miiverse page the day it was released in Japan and kindly asked for it to be released in the West, and from there on many good people followed suit. (To be honest I just kind of stumbled upon the Japanese Miiverse and noticed anyone can comment on any Miiverse page) I'm not saying that I started this or it's being released because of me, but because of every single person (you!) who took the time to request the game in a respectable fashion. Thank you to everyone who did that! I think that really made an impression on Itoi-san as to how much we appreciate his work of art.

MadAdam81

MadAdam81 said:

I wasn't a big fan - it was okay, but I enjoyed many other JRPGs and western RPGs from the 90's much more. I didn't get past the third town, but I might buy it anyway and try and get to the end, just in case the game gets better as it goes on.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

I want to be as happy as you, Mr. Itoi. I'm sure i'd be if all the Mother games were released in the west. :)

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

This is such a feel-good story. Can't wait to play Earthbound for the first time....err, if I can ever afford a Wii U :'(

seronja

seronja said:

i'm very happy that earthbound is comming in europe, but what i would love even more is the Mother trilogy on the european wii u VC... i will get earthbound day 1 when it arrives! =)

MrWezzle

MrWezzle said:

@Raghav Great? This post seems to be made for those of us that are...

This is really exceptional, if not HISTORICAL news. Earthbound's release on VC is the result of countless fan projects, protests, and petitions. Really a huge victory for all fans of Nintendo, not just the Mother series. A lot of us thought this day would never come, so it's really inspiring to see this finally happening.

Dpishere

Dpishere said:

No no no, thank YOU for finally making it possible for those who missed out on the game the first time around. I have been waiting for this game to come out for ages and am excited to know that I will finally be able to play it!

Tertis

Tertis said:

Eventually the Wii U will cost less than the original Earthbound cartridge.

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

I am very happy that I will finally get the opportunity to play this series! As I was playing Super Smash Bros Brawl I would wonder how good Ness's game series was for ages! I will finally be able to find out for myself and I thank Nintendo for allowing this to happen.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I wonder how many of these requests come from people who have never played the game.

It is great that it gets released anyway. I made fun of people always asking for this as i made it from kid icarus fans asking for the new kid icarus, way before uprising was announced.

Gregor

Gregor said:

@sinalefa I'm really going to grab this as soon as it comes out. Not because I'm patient but because Im scared that it will get shut down in a week. Mother 1 was on the Wii VC at one time but they removed it for whatever reason.

LegatoSkyheart

LegatoSkyheart said:

Could the spark of the international Re-Release of Mother/Earthbound give Itoi the inspiration to make Mother 4?

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I'm just glad to finally play this game to see why it's so cool without having to buy an expensive cartridge.

LordessMeep

LordessMeep said:

I have played the first (Mother), loved the sense of humor and the catchy music. Really, really glad that they FINALLY decided to release this game on VC. I hope this gets a lot of support so as to encourage them to listen to fans on the Miiverse more often.

Emaan

Emaan said:

I knew it was the right then to post heartfelt Ness drawings to the Japanese Mother 2 Miiverse community. Seems like it payed off. We love you Itoi, thank you! :D

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

Never had an SNES so never played it and given how much people praise it and how cute it looks I'll have to give it a try of course!

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

Buying Dark Moon tomorrow...gonna have to figure something out so I have enough leftover money for the rest of the month if I nab this.
EDIT: Bleh, misread something in the other article, so never mind.

ogo79

ogo79 said:

no problem Itoi, im going for the world record for complete in box earthbound copies!

Ryno

Ryno said:

The demand and value of my Earthbound guides are going to go up!

SMW

SMW said:

Saw this on Miiverse and was excited to finally see a post written in English from Itoi! I was like 'omg Itoi posted something and I can actually read it!' Then I read it and wow.

millarrp

millarrp said:

I plan to grab this on day one, almost wonder if there is enough interest they're mightto translate 1 & 3 into english...

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

Glad that it's finally coming, still wish they would find a way to localize the first and third game though.

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

@akabenjy Click at the top where it says Americas and switch to Japan. Scroll down to Mother 2 and select other communities. You can reach his personal Miiverse section from there. :)