Harvest Moon Gets The Hollywood Reboot Treatment

Posted by Damien McFerran

Down on the farm

Hollywood reboots are pretty tiresome these days — it would appear that film-makers have run out of new ideas entirely. Still, every cloud has a silver lining, because the loathsome trend of pilfering ideas from the past has inspired the YouTube series Gritty Reboots, which parodies the process but uses video games for its ideas, rather than old TV shows and movies that no one cares about any more.

The first is based on the SNES farming sim Harvest Moon. Gritty Reboots' David Hudson explains:

There has been a recent Hollywood trend of rebooting old movies, TV shows, videogames, and even board games into Gritty blockbuster films. So we decided to create a new Youtube Channel called Gritty Reboots where we do just that. Our first release is a take on one of our very favorite Nintendo franchises, Harvest Moon.

Our reboot tells a story of a young city boy who inherits his Grandfather's old farm, under one condition, he brings it back to the way it was. He must overcome the many challenges of farming and small town life to save the farm and find true love.

Hudson has informed us that the next entry in the series is based on another popular Nintendo franchise — so keep your eyes peeled for that.

Cygnus

Cygnus said:

If they played this in a theatre during the previews, I'd believe it's real. I'm not sure if that should be a complement to the makers of the video or an insult to the current state of Hollywood movies. I'm going to say both. It was really well made.

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

"Hudson has informed us that the next entry in the series is based on another popular Nintendo franchise"

Harvest Moon: Majora's Mask

Linkuini

Linkuini said:

Pretty funny trailer, even though I'm not terribly familiar with Harvest Moon. Nicely done! :)

I've seen that guy before, I think. Isn't he in those Know Your Meme videos, too?

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

Wow! Look's really cool. When does the movie get released in threatre's? Look as though there doing the original harvest moon not the newer ones which is good. :)

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

Dizzard

Dizzard said:

I'm guessing it's just a trailer?
I would actually love to watch this if it was a full movie.

jecca_1215

jecca_1215 said:

lol you can tell this is fake. But I love it ^.^

They probably wont make an Animal Crossing one because there is already a movie out in Japan of Animal Crossing. I loved it. It was so cute!!!

Bazly

Bazly said:

@NintendoFlow: I think it's meant to be awkward, since you know, it's based on a video game that is unnaturally bright and cheery where everyone is super happy haha

ueI

ueI said:

Who is the rival farmer supposed to be? I don't remember anybody like him in Mineral Town.

ueI

ueI said:

I was thinking Cliff, but we really shouldn't ponder too much. These movies always have inconsistencies with the subject matter. This "movie" is also based on the PS1/GBA games, not the SNES one.

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

That was pretty cool, in a cheesy fan service sorta way. I really loved the scene in the bar with Karen and Pete referencing a couple games. I also like how grandpa's tombstone doesn't give his name, just a title.:D

@Klinny and @uel I was thinking it was Gray at first myself but he does look like Cliff. Doesn't help that the series itself isn't very consistent either, piecing together back stories, character relations, and timelines is simply mind boggling.

Seeing this kinda makes me feel like revisiting one of the classic games from the series.

Morphbug

Morphbug said:

Oh ha! Here Lies Grandpa

It's based on Back to Nature/FoMT though, not the SNES games or the series in general

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

ueI wrote:

"He's Grandpa's grandson!

Ha, I can believe I let that one slip by, I heard it loud and clear too.:D

Being mainly aimed at fans I'm almost surprised they didn't refer to him as Jack, even as just a joke (like a name mix-up). But still, kudos to them for remembering his actual name.

JeanLuc_Vaycard

JeanLuc_Vaycard said:

Hilarious. Mary as some crazy stalker made me bust out laughing. Karen and her shallowness too, hating everything was well done.

Morphbug

Morphbug said:

Any harvest moon fan knows the only way to get Karen to like you is showering her with booze.