The Disney Projects That Never Came To Life

Posted by Orla Madden

Mickey Mouse titles that could have been

It's come to light that Buena Vista Games - now known as Disney Interactive Studios - was experimenting with different ideas for a Mickey Mouse game long before Disney Epic Mickey became a reality.

The proposed Mickey Mouse title - given the working title Spy Mickey - sadly never got past the concept phase, but a former artist for Buena Vista Games has released some beautiful artwork of Mickey and Donald.

It is also believed that Disney was messing around with ideas on an "action figure fighting game" along the lines of Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

Another project revolved around The Rocketeer, a character created by comic book artist Dave Stevens that was subsequently turned into a live-action movie by Disney in 1991.

While it's not known if any or all of these projects were destined to appear on the Wii, there's a good chance that Spy Mickey would have done. It's sad to see none of these ideas were brought to life, but at least we have the artwork to view. Would you have liked to have gotten your hands on these games, or did Epic Mickey hit the spot for you? Let us know by leaving a comment below.

[via siliconera.com]

seronja

seronja said:

a damn shame to be honest, spy mickey could have been a very great game.

soracloud28

soracloud28 said:

That sounds pretty amazing!!! The epic Mickey franchise had been a let down. Other than kingdom hearts I have not had a game that I enjoy with Mickey at the forefront.

NoPLo

NoPLo said:

Spy Mickey artwork looks horrible and amateurish. The other projects seem much more appealing to me.

BakaKnight

BakaKnight said:

Spy Mickey as concept sounds funny X3

But I can't toss away the feeling it was going to be like the game of Paperinik came out some years ago...
An awesome concept ruined by the "need" of make an easy cute game only for kids >.<

[EDIT] Checking better that PK game was made by ubisoft, so can't count I guess XP

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

Even though Spy Mickey sounds interesting, I like the idea of a Disney fighter, especially since they seemed to be willing to use characters from lesser-known films like The Black Cauldron. It would've provided great fanservice too. It's too bad that they decided to dump it.

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

to me spy mickey would of been more of a game i would pick up then the two that came out but a smash bros mickey is a no glad that didnt happen xD

fortius54

fortius54 said:

Personally, I would have loved to see the Rocketeer. The original on the NES was a fun albeit hard platformer. The SNES version left little to be desired, but the character and story as a whole holds up real well.

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

It's beatiful artwork but it has the nazzi sign in it from germany that's probably why it didn't get released because they thought it might cause to much controversy with the symbolism in it.

Love the artwork! ;)

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

bro2dragons

bro2dragons said:

Disney Smash Bros. has a lot of potential... but kind of like TMNT Battle Royale, without the right developer, like, I dunno... HAL, it would probably fail to capture the same magic as Smash. If Sakurai were to make a Smash Bros. game with Disney characters, though, I'd be all over that.

Pixel-Perfect

Pixel-Perfect said:

I like the idea of a Disney Smash Bros rip off... though I doubt Disney Interactive could have pulled it off.

Donjwolf

Donjwolf said:

It was nice seeing those artwork of the Disney take on SSB, especially when you take into account they chose some less familiar characters for the roster.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

A Disney Smash Bros. would've been seriously cool if it was done right. The character roster would've been massive, since Disney would've had many more characters at their disposal than Nintendo. Such a big game probably would've been too much for Disney Interactive, so that might be a reason why they cut it.

nomeacuerdo

nomeacuerdo said:

The Spy Mickey thing looks pretty weak, but the Super Smash Kingdom (or Super Magic Smash Kingdom Brothers? hehe) concept sounds freeking awesome!

In the other hand, The Epic Mickey franchise delivers what it promises: is EPIC.

Jeremyx7

Jeremyx7 said:

The Rocketeer was an awesome movie! When I was kid anyways, haven't seen it since though.....maybe I should.

Rosalina

Rosalina said:

OH MAAAAAAAAH GAAAAAAAWD!!! IT'S URSULA!!!!
Apparently the only villain who loves their minions... this is good concept art.

Rosalina

Rosalina said:

Quick fact, is Pat Carroll still alive, age 85. Unbelievable
She's the voice of Ursula

RR529

RR529 said:

Spy Mickey looks pretty cool, and the "Smash Bros" type game would also have been interesting.

I'll be happy as long as they keep making Kingdom Hearts games, though.

Rosalina

Rosalina said:

@ueI Sooooo... 86? Is that old?

Whatever, I just haven't seen the Little Mermaid in such a long time that it feels like an old time.

Wamtu

Wamtu said:

"Ah, good morning, Agent M! The evil Dr. Pete is at it again..."

That Rocketeer game could have been awesome...

Luffymcduck

Luffymcduck said:

That Disney fighting game would have been amazing. Now that I´ve seen that artwork, I want that game to come out!