Project X Zone Suffers Massive Price Drop In Japan

Posted by Damien McFerran

3DS tactical role-player discounted by 85%

Namco Bandai's cross-over RPG Project X Zone has seen its price slashed by an incredible 85% by one Japanese retailer in what appears to be an effort to shift unsold stock.

To make matters even more embarrassing, it would appear that the version of the game being discounted is the first-print limited edition box-set. These are usually expected to sell out quite close to release.

The game's original retail price was 6,280 Yen (around $72 / £44), and it is now being sold for 980 Yen (around $11 / £7). It launched to a rather muted commercial reception back in October, and despite the lacklustre performance at Japanese tills there were glimmers of hope that a Western localisation might still happen.

It's not totally off the cards yet, but the game's fall from grace in Japan must be giving Namco Bandai second thoughts about ploughing more cash into a project it would probably rather forget about.

[via gonintendo.com]

47drift

47drift said:

I just wish they'd realize how much better this game would sell literally anywhere else. Americans definitely eat up crossovers.

MercifulLemon7

MercifulLemon7 said:

Im really suprised about that price since the game is not that old. I hope the game can still come to America and sell better.

Chobi

Chobi said:

Hmm, I'm not surprise by this news. It seems like RPG are slowly dying in Japan. I mean if a game like ni no kuni can't get good sale numbers then project X zone isn't going to do to well in the market. Unfortunate just another reason for Namco not to release this title to the west.

Otto-Soq

Otto-Soq said:

I rather see a couple of good turn-based RPG's on the 3DS with deep gameplay than upgraded fighting games.

abINC4L

abINC4L said:

I've been focusing on my Wii U but this is one game I would definitely pick up day one if it were to come to the US, looks like a ton of fun and a game I could easily sink dozens of hours into. Please bring it over!

MAB

MAB said:

It wouldn't cost much to translate and throw onto the eShop like the Guild01 games or whatever it was called ;)

Gorlokk

Gorlokk said:

Oh, and I just thought it would be very interesting if they actually do give PXZ a localization, and it does better than it did in Japan!

gavn64

gavn64 said:

seems like nintendo should make the save on this one they need to release 3ds games in the west after all they should fund the localisation.

CyberNature

CyberNature said:

This is so frustrating. They got the game and don't want it, we want the game and don't got it!

JavierYHL

JavierYHL said:

I need these game in english man...it's one of the main reasons I buy a 3ds for...

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

@Chobi I'm not sure about that. I live in Japan, and the RPG market here is huge. Just because THIS game didn't sell well doesn't mean all RPGs are. This game was a huge departure in style and gameplay mechanics, it was not a straightforward RPG. If you think RPGs are dying, look at the sales for Bravely Default, Dragon Quest Terry's Wonderland, Fire Emblem Kakusei/Awakening, Soul Hackers, Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance, Pokemon Dungeon, Etrian Odyssey IV, Medarot 7, Rune Factory 4, and many more.

I'm not going to name my source, but I've heard it said that Namco itself is not doing well, so they are cutting back on many things, including releasing certain games outside of Japan. I don't know anything more specific than that, but this does seem to fit the trend.

Anyway, I find it strange that the source article doesn't have any more information about what this store is that is selling this game at such a low price. I've seen this game at other stores on sale, but the sale price was still triple that what is shown in that ad.

EDIT: Anyway, its strange. When Bravely Default was doing so well at #1 at its start, Project X Zone was the third best selling game that week. While Bravely Default kept its momentum, Project X Zone had a huge drop in sales. Usually bad word-of-mouth or poor reviews cause something like that. I know the game had fairly good reviews. For example Kotaku gave Bravely Default a 38 out of 40, and Project X Zone got a 34.

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

I realize localization and production would be costly, but perhaps releasing a game to other markets is the only way Namco could hope to get back some of their initial investment.... so this could be good news for a western release? Maybe?

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

Hmm, Just as an afterthought, I checked Amazon.jp. Even the cheapest used and new copies of this game, both first edition and current are on sale at most for double what this ad has. I'm very curious about the source of this ad.

beat

beat said:

im still not givin up on this game though, i wont judge it until i play it.

SheldonRandoms

SheldonRandoms said:

What a way to start the new year, I still hope this comes to the United States and other countries, but for that price, I would soooooooooooo buy it, even if a certain blue hedgehog is not in this game.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

The reason why the game didn't sell, it had a crappy title, c'mon "Project X Zone" (what does that even mean). Rename it to "Capcom, Sega, Namco: Universe Collide, I guaranteed that would sell even better.

Birthday_Boy

Birthday_Boy said:

It sounds crazy that a crossover with 3 of Japan's greatest VG companies can't sell. And concidering how popular the 3DS is there baffles me even more.
Perhaps New Leaf hogged all the sales, or maybe the fighting genre is going to a large decline of interest.

AVahne

AVahne said:

Namco Bandai is absolutely terrible when it comes to publishing games. Did anyone expect any better?

mullen

mullen said:

I see lots of people want it be localized, but I doubt that's a good idea. The game failed not because the market, but because the game itself. After tried the demo version released few weeks ago, I would say the mechanics is too simple, which can make the game boring after first few stages. It's very likely that it will be another big failure if it get localized, or players who buy it will disappointed.

rockman_zero

rockman_zero said:

Blame crapcom since they don't wanna give their good game characters megaman x and zero tron and servebots were lucky to b in game the rest of crapcom roster sucks other than that I'm also up for this game getting a western release since u.s has nuthin good to offer game wise I pretty mych hav to import games

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

@Tsuchinoko I hope you can find the source of the store since I got a friend who lives in Japan & I'll get him to buy it for me, even if I can't play it :p

Windy

Windy said:

@Chobi Nah RPG's are not dying in Japan. Bravely Default had good sales and so did Dragon Quest X online. This game must be just bad. We will see when it is localised. I think they will localise it to make up for its bad sales in Japan. Japanese gamers are not dumb. just like the rest of the world they know a bad game when they see one

Emaan

Emaan said:

Well there goes all our hopes and dreams on any chances of localization. :|

Chobi

Chobi said:

@Windy and @Tsuchinoko

The reason i said RPG seem like they are slowly dying is because this isn't the first time, I've come across an article about huge price cuts only a few months after a title is release. Besides most of those title listed are already established franchises. I'm still hoping Namco will pull through and bring it over stateside.

Gen0neD

Gen0neD said:

Well, there goes the final nail in the coffin and my dream of a NA localization. Crap.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

@Windy Sales often =/= quality. For example, some amazing games like Little King's story sell really badly yet utter crap like Carnival games sell really well.

Drawdler

Drawdler said:

It might be for the best not to localize it if they're having sales problems. I'd like to play this, though, so I'll dream.

Shirma_Akayaku

Shirma_Akayaku said:

What makes this game of having a lesser chance of being localized is this (just some):
1. I think people in the US might not know even half of the character roster. The game could go in 3 directions.

1.1 People get interested/ amused and would like to try or purchase the game, or hear good/hyped reviews.

1.2 People are too confused/unsure, or they have lack of interest, or they hear bad reviews, OR the see many pre-own/overstock of the game and assume.

1.3 People might purchased pre-own instead of new, or they get it new, then decide to return it and abandon it as if it were a baby donkey

2. I'm in it for Ulala, what she says, and her "own" voice (since trailer says it's her own voice). I also like stories

Windy

Windy said:

I think they will localize it for one simple reason. The 3DS is RPG poor. Besides its not like a bad game hasn't been localized before. I'm pretty sure if Localized the rest of the world will outsell Japan

Henmii

Henmii said:

This is just heart-breaking!! You can guess those company's will never try such a project ever again!! That's very bad, especially in times where everybody is playing it safe!!