uPlay App Now Available on Wii U eShop

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Achieve and unlock some extras

When Wii U launched we brought you the news that Ubisoft was bringing its uPlay service directly to the Wii U as an app, a further example of the publisher's early enthusiasm for the system. The app was available on the European eShop right from the off, and it appears that it's now live in North America, too.

This uPlay download is free of charge, though you'll likely need to use the Wii U eShop's search function to track it down. It's a small and relatively quick download, and once installed you can open it up and login on an existing account or setup a new one. Once logged in you can select a game, and if it's a title that you've been playing the app will display your unlocked achievements and show the rewards that you can unlock. With 10 tokens for signing up and most games throwing some initial points your way, you're likely to be in a position to redeem them for some game content in no time.

The goodies on offer range from wallpapers to additional game modes, meaning that it's probably worth saving up your winnings for more substantial content. With the app directly integrating with the games it recognises on the system, it should make the uPlay service intuitive and easy to use for Wii U gamers.

Is this something you're going to dabble with, especially with some games having additional content included as a reward? Let us know in the comments below.

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

yes finally more to look for i already liked the uplay on xbox so this should be good downloading it now :o

SuperKMx

SuperKMx said:

Downloaded this and - just like on the Xbox 360 edition of Uplay - it does nothing but throw errors saying that the server is unavailable. I still don't know what it does. :/

Zyph

Zyph said:

you can download wallpapers directly to your Wii U? or you can redeem them on a PC?

ljinkakidd

ljinkakidd said:

I think that Super Smash Bros. U should have a feature like this. Downloadable characters and stages made by the company would be the best thing that ever hit the series imo.

ajcismo

ajcismo said:

Noticed this nice eShop surprise yesterday morning and its been working fine. The combination of free and useful makes me say thumbs up.

JayRydah

JayRydah said:

I seen this in the eshop lastnight. Probably going to download it and check it out to see what its about.

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@KenB It worked for me last night, and then when I tried it today it was error time. Maybe the server capacity is lame, and now everyone's clocked that it's actually on the eShop!

It's very basic, but I'm curious to build some points and see how the content unlocking works. The most expensive ZombiU award is a new multiplayer mode, so I'm curious to see that update in the game.

StreetRat

StreetRat said:

Is anyone else having a problem with the WiiU's internet? My ratio of error codes to successes is around 7:1.

Tethers

Tethers said:

So unnecessary...

Hopefully I can unlock all the content in games without this app...

Squiggle55

Squiggle55 said:

something like this should have been the universal achievement system for EVERY game on the Wii U. It should have been integrated with Club Nintendo and now you also earn coins for in-game achievements and can redeem them for Club Nintendo stuff.

irken004

irken004 said:

I had a little trouble signing in on the PS3 Uplay, I don't even really like the service. But it's the only way to unlock some of the smaller rewards like items in Assassin's Creed 3

Ren

Ren said:

I'm not a fan of the useless achievements like on xbox but if some companies are going to use them to unlock real game rewards like this than it's still something that should just be part of the system. Clearly Nintendo's not that interested in keeping up with the Jones', though. Normally I don't mind, but this apparent "trailblazing" attitude at Nintendo leaves a little to be desired for people who want all the basic HD gaming stuff to just work. Can't wait until this WiiU is all patched and up to speed in 6 months or so. Just pretend the launch is actually about 6 months after the real one and you'll get the best Nintendo launch Ever; and no lines.

ShadJV

ShadJV said:

@Tethers If I understand correctly, the content this app provides is essentially DLC that you can buy with points earned through an achievement system. In other words, the content is not already on the disc, it's DLC.

I like this system and would like more developers to adopt it. Reward me for actually playing through the game you worked hard to make, giving me more content? I like that.

Syntax

Syntax said:

Here's a comment from exophase, "Now U can say U earned points playing ZombiU on Wii U thanks to Uplay from Ubisoft! Yay?"

sirgrim

sirgrim said:

I got a really cool cricket bat upgrade to whack zombies with on ZombiU, and soon will get a multiplayer upgrade.

Chunky_Droid

Chunky_Droid said:

I've only got Just Dance 4 but it offers alternate versions of the songs, that's cool. Only problem is uPlay seems down half the time.

I didn't even know it was on PS3, I should go take a look, I can't remember if I have any Ubisoft games on it.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Sounded interesting, then I saw it is only for Ubisoft games. I try to avoid those games most of the time. So I'll probably end up passing unless I find Zombi U in the clearance bin down the road.

ElMastero

ElMastero said:

I don't expect to be buying many, if any, Ubisoft titles. So it's pointless for me.

WaxxyOne

WaxxyOne said:

Sounds interesting, especially since it's free. Unfortunately I don't have any Ubisoft games yet, but guess that's just one more reason to pick up ZombiU. :)

Skeletor

Skeletor said:

Now Steam needs to get in there. They mentioned Wii U earlier this year, saying it was not an impossibility!!