Wii U on Plenty of U.S. Christmas Lists

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

The kids are alright

With the Holiday season upon us, there are a number of gadgets vying to be the hottest attraction for shoppers, with Wii U doing its best to join in. Of course, so much money at this time of year is spent on kids, and according to surveys conducted by research firm Nielson, Wii U is high on a lot of wishlists.

Of those surveyed, Wii U was the second most desired piece of technology among 6-12 year old children in the U.S., with 39% expressing an interest in Nintendo's new system — a full-size iPad was the runaway winner with 48%. In the same age group Nintendo 3DS and, surprisingly, DS finished above PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, with 29% and 28% respectively; maybe Pokémon Black and White 2 has something to do with it, or kids aren't sure of the difference between the handhelds. The figures for teenagers aged 13 and above are lower across the board, and Wii U is down to fourth place in this demographic with a score of 17%. Perhaps worryingly, interest in 3DS is way down at 5% with this group, even coming below the Wii at 6%.

A number of factors affect figures like these, of course, and surveys are always open to inaccuracies, so should probably just be treated as a loose guide. Overall the Wii U figures are encouraging, but also suggest that Nintendo faces an uphill struggle to attract teenagers to 3DS, as they seem far more interested in tablets, smartphones and computers.

You can see the graphs below for yourself — click to enlarge — so let us know what you think in the comments.

[via blog.nielsen.com, neogaf.com]

Void

Void said:

Wow, looooots of people want the iPad. :O
I'm not worried about seeing the 3DS so low among older kids/people, it means most people already have it or don't want it now because Paper Mario: Sticker Star is really the only thing that came out for 3DS this holiday. :P
And when people get older, they can do work and earn money them selves to buy games systems if they want them, so they don't need them on their christmas wish lists.
@CerealKiller528 PS Vita? What about Play Station in general? :P

ToxieDogg

ToxieDogg said:

Stands to reason that many people 13 years old and above who actually want a 3DS have probably already got one by now (likely last Xmas) I'm really surprised at the popularity of iPads in all honesty. Shows I'm getting old :P

iwanttodie

iwanttodie said:

The Wii U is $300.
Let that sink in. Kids are getting Presents worth 300 DOLLARS?!
WAT

NImH

NImH said:

That N64 kid is my favorite! For fear of a shameful look from my wife, I stifled this same reaction when I opened my WiiU on launch day.
A WiiUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!

Nin-freak

Nin-freak said:

Woah, I didn't think Nintendo was marketing very well. But maybe they really have been marketing more than I think.

I hate Apple. they sell products by their name not by quality. Nintendo at least doesn't take advantage of their name and not try to make a good quality product with a large leap from the previous system they launched.

SheldonRandoms

SheldonRandoms said:

On Christmas day, that will be me, I will be just like the N64 kid and I will upload it to Youtube, and It'll be epic :)

also why do kids want Ipads, won't it be too heavy for them or something, IDK, I've seen a kid holding an Ipad once, let's just say, that kid will never hold an Ipad until he's much older.

Birdman

Birdman said:

6-12 year olds want PSPs more than Vitas. Hopefully some other people out there are concerned about that one.

ljinkakidd

ljinkakidd said:

Well, if 3ds is in trouble then PS Vita is on lock down. I'll get a Wii U next year when greater games are announced.
Wii U needs...
Smash Bros.
Super Mario Galaxy 3/Universe
Mario Kart U
Zelda Wii U
Dragon Quest XI(11)
Donkey Kong
Kirby, in order to succeed greatly. SSBU is 10 million Wii U units at least.

3DS needs...
Super Mario 3D Land 2
Dragon Quest 7(YEEEESSSS!)
Super Smash Bros. 3ds
An original Zelda title and other Nintendo franchises to achieve great success.

The question is no longer "can the 3ds out do PSVita?" but "what other killer apps can Nintendo deliver besides Super Mario 3D Land?"

WingedSnagret

WingedSnagret said:

The Wii U is sort of on my wish list. But since nobody is going to throw a $350 device at me, I'm just asking for Best Buy gift cards and see how much I'll get.

Dr_42o

Dr_42o said:

Hahaha >_< That kid with the N64 brings back memories..

Anyhow, that is how my face will look when I turn Wii U on, and it will stay that way until the initial update completes! MY FACE IS READY!!!

Void

Void said:

@TrueWiiMaster I remember seeing kids that young in the commercials for iPad 2 I think...
@GameLord08 Oh yeah, thats right, iPad 3 was last year, :p I forgot that iPad 4 came out this October. Looking at the price... It starts at just $499!
Not too much to pay for christmas really. ;)

Charizord

Charizord said:

i'm surprised that people still are interested in a DS, maybe the majority aren't aware that the 3DS can play DS games?

triforcepower73

triforcepower73 said:

@0LD_SK0OL_PUNK I know, seriously! What are parents teaching kids these days? I've met more than 3 people under the age of 18 who haven't seen a single star wars movie and a whole lot more who haven't seen one hitchcock movie! And then I see more kids playing cod or their parents' iphone or ipad. All the kids born in 2000 or later just don't know what's good for them. I barely made it! I was born in '99.

GameLord08

GameLord08 said:

@Nin-freak: The Apple name is quality; that's why it's grown to be such a recognisable name and their products fly off the shelves. They're fantastic devices, questionable pricing aside.

ianmage1

ianmage1 said:

Let's be real here. 6 to 12-year-olds should not be getting iPads for Christmas. If these kiddies are getting iPads for Christmas, their parents love them way too much...

ogo79

ogo79 said:

Untitled
"uncle bob! thank god you saved christmas and brought over your sega genesis!"

mudjo

mudjo said:

It's good to see that Wii U is the most popular actual console in both graphics.

seronja

seronja said:

i would still rather wish for a n64 over the wii-u or any other console xD that nostalgia bomb i would get by playing the classic rareware games would be so epic m8 =D but i'm getting a wii-u around the first half of april next year, so nintendo can figure out some bugs and fix it with patches like they did with the 3DS plus the full launch window games are going to available by that time

WaveyChristmas

WaveyChristmas said:

@Toxiedog
You and me both. Hell, I've never even touched an I-Pad before, nor do i care. The same goes for all of these Tablets and smart phones.

@Ogo79
lol. Uncle bob saves christmas once again!

MAB

MAB said:

It disgusts me to think that in 20 years time these kiddies wanting eyepads will have nostalgia for some of the most crudtastic piece's of poop ever to call themselves gaming devices... Disgraceful little maggots.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I could just as easily switch into Cranky Kong mode about kids these days, but what good would that do? They've grown up into a totally different entertainment world then we did back in the 20th century. These 21st century kids just don't know what they missed out on with all the good video games and animated cartoons and movies of the 90s on back, but I digress.

The Wii U will have a strong start. The 3DS is not that hot right now with only Paper Mario: Sticker Star being its biggest game, but there's still Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon coming early next year. I imagine New Super Mario Bros. U will be the biggest-selling launch title for Wii U.

triforcepower73

triforcepower73 said:

@DestinyMan Yeah I still grew up in the 21st century but I can say that I like old games/movies/tv shows a whole lot better than what comes out these days. One of the reasons I like nintendo a lot is because they still make incredible games. If I had the choice to grown up in the 80s and 90s, I certainly would take it just so I could be among the first to play the incredible games that came out then.

Banker-Style

Banker-Style said:

Kids these days,in my day I wanted toys for Christmas,not these foreign things called Nintendo and Xbox.But at least these young whippersnappers are eating healthy buy crazing their parents for an Apple.
Seems like the next generation aren't going to be a load of fatties after all.

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

my kids want toys not iPads. and there is no way I'd buy them one even if they did. they are too expensive.

wu_wei_lion

wu_wei_lion said:

I just got picked up my Wii U from UPS last night. It was a pain in the arse to set up what with all the cables in the back of my receiver but it's all done. I only had a few minutes to play the games I picked up on launch day (New Super Mario U and Sonic All-Stars Racing) both of which seem like they will be a helluva lot of fun. I felt like a kid on Christmas. Anyhoo, I'd take a Wii U over an Ipad any day and I would never buy a child an Ipad. That's a ridiculously expensive "toy" that they're likely to break anyway.

ThumperUK

ThumperUK said:

iPads no doubt feature again on Xmas lists as most parents are not stupid and refuse to buy the kid an overpriced toy (pretending to be something useful).

AmishThunder

AmishThunder said:

I'd like to see how many in range of 20 - 29 and 30+ want a Wii U. I'm 34, and got mine on launch day; it brought back all the memories of getting my first NES, SNES, and N64. This is the most I've enjoyed a console launch since the SNES.

SammyOfMobius

SammyOfMobius said:

The N64 era... that's when I was born. :) But I got into video games during the early Gamecube era and late N64 era.

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

I'm not surprised that the 3DS isn't faring to well, since Paper Mario Sticker Star was the biggest/only title that really came out for Christmas it's only fair that it doesn't sell.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Did they do a list of games? I'm wondering if Sony is messing up Wonderbook more than they have Vita?

Next year for WiiU for us I think, when NL is in the Basic box for $250 - just like my Wii. And I don't trust that Pikmin 3 is out by March - anybody see an ACTUAL date for it yet? And Bayonetta 2. And Ubidsoft has all it's launch games for $20.

Emaan

Emaan said:

I always wish I had a Nintendo 64, that N64 kid brings back memories of playing at my cousin's house. I'm glad I was born in this pre-21st century, tablet and smart phone driven era. It's good the Wii U is off to a good start and getting its name out there.

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

What kind of world are we living in where a kid wants a tablet or phone more than toys and games? Its bad enough all the classics are slowly being forgotten. When I was a kid I didn't care about the newest stuff or what console I got or played, or even remember wanting most of them. The only reason I even knew about new Nintendo consoles and games was NP(and don't even remember wanting that).

I'm starting to feel old again, which is scary since I'm only 19. Thank god I grew up in the early 90s.

HawkeyeWii

HawkeyeWii said:

Why do people want iPads so bad!!? I seriously would want anything on that list (Even if it was a double of something I had) rather than the iPad...

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

@mumof2kids82 The iPad Mini - smaller version of the iPad 2, in the sense that it runs on the A5 processor and has the same liquid crystal display, instead of the Retina display on the 3-4th Gen iPads - cost less than a Wii U and you can slam the thing full of games cheaper than the price of a single retail title for Wii U. That's the reason many kids will get them this Xmas.

I'd never buy my children a Wii U or iPad if they were under 13 either though! ;)

I've got the New iPad (4th Generation) and I LOVE it! :D

Hokori

Hokori said:

Wii is above the 3DS? What :o and Why so many apple thongs on the list?...

Tsuchiya

Tsuchiya said:

@Slapshot
The "games" are terrible, vacuous, badly developed and cheap crappleware is not fit for dedicated and vastly superior gaming systems.
Apple could sell a huge steaming cowpat with headphones to the masses and people would still buy it simply because others are doing so.

You'd find more individuality within a field of genetically cloned sheep.

GamecubeMan

GamecubeMan said:

AH! The Vita is pretty much dead last :D
Well take that people that thought Wii U was gonna be Nintendo's DreamCast :3

MAB

MAB said:

@Tsuchiya Don't give Crapple any ideas... That steaming cowpat with headphones will hit the market and cost $800 ;)

Squirtodile

Squirtodile said:

Pshh, im not getting a Wii U for christmas..thatd be the most expensive thing anyone in my family ever got for christmas

KiwiPanda

KiwiPanda said:

No way am I asking my parents for a Wii U for Christmas. I may stock up on some 3DS games, but not $350 of it. And all those kids I know who want iPads, they better start thinking realistically :l

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

Its disappointing to see the 3DS so low on the teens survey. It would be good if 3DS sales in the west were closer to their Japanese sales but I doubt 3DS sales in the west will ever get that good.

King_Boo

King_Boo said:

The idea behind kids wanting apple products is simple, they cost a lot therefore they're a status symbol. I remember when the iphone just came out, and the only thing that told people was they have money.

Lisalisabobisa

Lisalisabobisa said:

Many of you are clearly not parents. My 5 year old has an iPad and a ds and 3ds and wii and yes he will get a wii u for Christmas as the deluxe set is neatly put away in the basement along with his copy of Mario brit wii u. For his birthday he will get 1 game and that's all. I tell friends and family not to gift him for holidays but to give him a little $$ he can use over the year for other games or a deposit to his bank account. I don't go overboard on plastic toys that sit around in a toy box collecting dust. Transformers? Ugh the horror. $30 for a little figure that ets played with twice. Never again will I buy one. My 5 year old uses his iPad for iBooks (educational) and to watch older Nintendo geeks posts tricks and "cheats" on YouTube and now creates his own walk through episodes. He plays lots of child friendly games in it and it allows him to learn/confidence in his own ability to spell since he needs to spell in search engine. My 5 year old reads at a second grade level and reads all that appears on the screen while playing super Mario games. He gets excited about free things at club Nintendo and uses his iPad as his own. The alternative was "mommy can i use your computer" 25 times a day. I have also picked up some inexpensive board games like scrabble and chess for us to play during our down time. Don't assume all little kids are being showered with gifts because they have a gaming system or iPad. My son will need to know how to use technology otherwise he will fall behind in 10 years. I am simply facilitating that to the best of my wallet's ability. Which is not deep trust me.

Lisalisabobisa

Lisalisabobisa said:

Also. iPad is cheapest way to get kids on their own computer. Other laptops are expensive in canada and super super bulky. I actually bought the iPad in Delaware when traveling to save tax ( no tax in Delaware 13% tax here) so I paid exactly $400 for it. Kids tablets are $100+ and not even Internet connected. So it was the best option all around I happen to have expensive laptops for personal and school use (yes I'm a poor student) so sharing computer with child is bad idea. Anyway it's super unfair to generalize the parents and kids who enjoy technology as people who just want to show off their products. My son doesn't take his iPad out of the house unless I decide to take it when we travel for convenience.