Sonic The Hedgehog Dashing Onto Platforms In 2013

Posted by Orla Madden

Nintendo platforms, please

Sega has revealed that it has plans to release new Sonic the Hedgehog games next year, but we are left in the dark as to what systems the titles will be on.

In an interview with Toys 'N' Playthings, Sissel Henno - Head of Sega's brand licensing in Europe - said that as well as focusing on releasing toys and stationary accessories across Europe, there are plans to release digital games as well as a brand new physical game.

Similarly, we will also be growing the apparel, publishing and stationary categories. We will have several new digital titles launching as well as a new boxed game, so there will be plenty of opportunities to link marketing campaigns across games and merchandise.

In the meantime, we have Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed to look forward to on 3DS next on 16th November, and for the Wii U at launch in Europe. What are you hoping to see in the next Sonic game, and what would you like from the new digital titles?

[via toysnplaythings.co.uk, nintendoeverything.com]

Related Games

TheDreamingHawk

TheDreamingHawk said:

While you talk about that...

How bout releasing Sonic Blast and Labyrinth on the 3DS VC in NA after months of having it collect dust in the coming soon? Or how about Sonic 1 or 2 GG.

srhades

srhades said:

I believe, as earlier rumors have mentioned, that the will be a Sonic Reboot.
The rumors were spot on with a 2013 release.
Plus, I might buy a rebboot.

Angelic_Lapras_King

Angelic_Lapras_King said:

@TheDreamingHawk You really want to play those awful awful games? o.o

If anything, I'm sure Sega will port most, if not all of its downloadable titles from XBLA and PSN, which for Sonic could mean Nintendo fans finally get Sonic 4 Ep 2, as well as the upcoming port of Sonic Fighters....

TheDreamingHawk

TheDreamingHawk said:

@Angelic_Lapras_King They are not anywhere close to "Awful" They are medicore at best. Sonic blast got the same score on here as Triple trouble did, and Labyrinth got the same score as Kirby's pinball land.

The only terrible sonic games are Sonic Spinball GG and Sonic 06. (Both due to massive glitches).

And besides, if you are going to put a game in a coming soon section and give it the "almost done" look on the eshop, you might as well release it. Keep in mind having these games held back equal no more game gear games. (We still have 3)

OracleOfTruth

OracleOfTruth said:

I would like a 3D title for Wii U. Also, more toys and stationary? Sega, you can have my money.
@TheDreamingHawk - You are most certainly right. Sonic games are much better than many people give them credit for.

Angelic_Lapras_King

Angelic_Lapras_King said:

@TheDreamingHawk Blast is short and too easy, plus the sprites look a bit ugly. I know they were trying for a Donkey Kong Country look, but meh.

Labyrinth is pretty slow and boring. I have both on the various disc collections Sega did, so I have played them.

Triple Trouble is probably the best Sonic platformer on the Game Gear as it was not a SMS port. Still a tad bit easy, but yeah.

seronja

seronja said:

an old school sonic would be nice =) or perhaps sonic adventures 3? with no big the cat PLEASE!

ennan

ennan said:

I'd love a new 2D sonic with the graphics of generations with no voice acting and an awesome storyline like the death egg trilogy. Sonic 3 and knuckles told an epic story with no superfluous characters, crappy voice acting or unnecessary cut scenes.

hydeks

hydeks said:

SWEET!!! New downloadable Sonic games (older Sonic games, maybe Sonic 4 Episode 3??) and a boxed game to come! I can't wait!!!! Sega would be smart to release this on PS3/360/ Wii U, and this time around, they easily could :)

Unlike most people living in the past, I rather a new 3D Sonic game. I don't care what people say, the 3D Sonic game are just as fun as the 2D ones :P.

SammyOfMobius

SammyOfMobius said:

A new Sonic game with Adventure gameplay but in the style of a Genesis game. (Kinda like how 3D Land was like the 2D Mario games.) And maybe add a new twist like Colors did. For 3DS, maybe they could make a new 2D Sonic game but not like Sonic Rush, more like Sonic 2, Sonic 3, or Sonic CD. And don't make the graphics look terrible like in Generations 3DS or don't make it short either. Add lots of content, great graphics, and Classic Sonic gameplay. It would be nice to see them both in stores and on the Wii U and 3DS eShop, they would make lots of money!

Linkuini

Linkuini said:

@hydeks
I think when they say "downloadable games" they're thinking more along the lines of "Sonic Jump" on the iPhone than "Sonic the Hedgehog 4" on... a game system. But hey, that's probably just me being cynical. ;)

KrazyBean

KrazyBean said:

Well, no offence but this is very obvious. As for Classic Sonic returning again, I say no...the nostalgia riding is enough for now, just make another unique Sonic game like Sonic Colours.

We will get a Sonic game for the Wii U, PS3 and 360...or we'll get an exclusive Wii U Sonic game and an exclusive Sonic game for the PS3 and 360 and have all three platforms have a downloadable Sonic game. That's how I think it will go anyway.

What I would REALLY like though is a 3DS Sonic game made by Sonic Team themselves, not Dimps...a Sonic Rush 3 would be very nice.

TheDreamingHawk

TheDreamingHawk said:

@True_Hero Yeah, they have faults, but hardly any of them could be considered: "The worst of all time". Some are OK and some are great, but the only disasters are Sonic 06 and Sonic Genesis (The GBA port), and Sonic spinball GG.

It's just all of this prejudice is just sad when it comes at the expense of no game gear games.:(
There needs to be some more.

Linkstrikesback

Linkstrikesback said:

@ NintenKingiiU

A Reboot? But we just HAD a reboot of the entire gameplay system in Sonic colours/Generations (I guess we were halfway to a rebooting in unleashed).
What else is there to reboot? The plot? Trying to add a serious story beyond "Sonic needs to stop eggman again!" went so terribly in the last "reboot" (Sonic 06) That I pray they aren't trying again.

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

@KrazyBean No offense, but go and pick up Sonic Colo[u]rs DS, and Sonic Generations 3DS for Sonic Rush 3 and 4. They aren't much to the console versions.

EvisceratorX

EvisceratorX said:

I wanna see a 3D sonic game on the 3DS. I absolutely loved Generations, but I think they definitely could've done 3D stages if they had more time...

jackaroo

jackaroo said:

@NintenKingiiU Well a 2013 release was pretty easy to predict. Sonic games have mostly had a 2 year gap between them since adventure with the exception of anniversary games (Starting with 06) which just had a one year gap.

WildMan

WildMan said:

It would be interesting to see them experiment and try something different..

Varia01

Varia01 said:

After watching Wreck-It-Ralph and seeing Sonic, it makes me feel bad for ever leaving him. Sonic, please come to Wii U.....

spoonshiro

spoonshiro said:

Think Generations is going to be my last Sonic game, honestly. Series has been pretty stagnant for over a decade.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Will they be good and fun games? That is all I need to know.

I have been curious to get one of the latest Sonic games, I am torn between Colours on Wii and Generations on PS3. They are roughly the same price now.

Neram

Neram said:

Not this again... Do we really expect to get excited over a new Sonic game after being disappointed the last 100 times? The word of a new Sonic game coming out shouldn't be a surprise any more.

KrazyBean

KrazyBean said:

@Knuckles There's no way Sonic Colours (DS) and Sonic Generations (3DS) are as good as Sonic Rush and Rush Adventure. Sonic Colours (DS) was OK, but Generations (3DS) was just lazy to be honest.

@Neram But Colours and Generations we're pretty good, people have not been "disappointed" with them though...not everyone is going to like them, but they are GOOD games and have appealed well to a lot of people and have also done Sonic a hell of a lot of justice. But meh, if we're still gonna bring up Sonic's past downfalls every single time something Sonic related pops up then "more power to you".

@sinalefa Try both...or get the Sonic Generations demo if you have PSN/Xbox Live. He has had 3 good games in a row now, I don't think Sonic has to prove that his games are "good" anymore. Yes we know he has had a hard time back in the past and yes we know that Sonic 06 was a BAD game for the millionth time but jeez, this is 2012 now, not 2005-2009, cut him some slack.

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

Why can't they go back to Adventure-style 3D Sonic platforming? The current style that debuted with Sonic Unleashed just does not work as well. It's makes everything too much off a race and requires an unreasonable level of quick reflexes. Plus, I miss the Spin Dash.

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

@rlopez1996 Do you really mean you want a return of the main villian from Sonic Adventure 1, or do you mean you want a return of the Chao Gardens?

Get it straight, people! The plural of Chao is Chao, while Chaos is the blue blob that grows in power by absorbing the Chaos Emeralds.

Linkuini

Linkuini said:

@zoroarkrules25
I second that! I suspect Sega will have to bring a company other than BioWare on board, but dangit, that cliffhanger ending has gotta be dealt with.

OracleOfTruth

OracleOfTruth said:

@KrazyBean I know! People just keep hating on Sonic for little or no reason. He had a rough patch. Big whoop. People seem to think that they will be cool or funny by taking stabs at Sonic, but they generally just come off sounding ignorant.
@0LD_Sk0OL_PUNK Boo! Lame joke.

dolabla

dolabla said:

Sonic Adventure 3? I haven't enjoyed a Sonic game since the Sonic Adventure series on the Dreamcast.

GazPlant

GazPlant said:

The amount of people still demanding SA3 makes me sad... The fact that Heroes and 06 were the Adventure mold notwithstanding, wouldn't it be nice to get something new?

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

@GazPlant

I do hope the amount of people still demanding Shenmue 3 does not make you sad. Yakuza is nice and all, but it is no Shenmue.

And I get worried when people want something new from Sonic. Apparently all new things from Sonic Team get panned, like fetishes with human girls, Arabian nights, swords and werehogs.

FJOJR

FJOJR said:

Getting Mario to pair with Sonic in a Nintendo-led game for the Wii U. That would be a hot sell for next year though a game of that magnitude and importance would need a lot more time to develop. Wishful thinking instead of waiting for Sochi 2014.

Urbanhispanic

Urbanhispanic said:

At this point, they should stick to re-inventing the platform games since they were the BEST way of playing Sonic.

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

I would really dig a Sonic Colors 2.

Or a proper 2D platformer based off the HD Classic Sonic Generations levels.

Sonic's doing great these days!

GreenDream

GreenDream said:

I think if a new and improved version of "Sonic Xtreme" for the Saturn were completed, for a newer system, that would be a nice nod to Sega faithfuls.

Xbuster

Xbuster said:

This is coming from a huge Sonic Fan. I've been playing Sonic since I was 6 and I've played close to every title in existence (including several hacks and fanmade games).I've even designed some of my own Sonic games. There are a ton of things sonic can do right now. His games are getting better and there are less failures (Sonic 4 series,Colors,Generations). What people need to understand is every Sonic game is not going to be a masterpiece. Just because Sonic had a few flops doesn't mean his career is over. He has made a huge comeback and I look forward to what Sega does with him in the future.

In fact, the only Sonic games I hated are Sonic 06, Secret Rings, Black Knight, Sonic Spinball, and any educational Sonic game. Sega is going to experiement with their mascot regardless of failure. Ignorant people just love poking fun at him though. Its best to just ignore them (especially if they have no Idea what they're talking about).

Anyway, I would love to see a HD remake of Sonic 1,2,3, and knuckles combined together with remixed Soundtracks,HD graphics like Sonic Generations, and gameplay of classic sonic from Sonic Generations. The game would have all the zones from the 4 games, but you would have to start with classic sonic in Green Hill zone leading up to Doomsday Zone in S&K. As the story progresses, classic Tails and Knuckles become playable depending on when they first appeared. It could also have leaderboards, Downloadable content, Multiplayer and Online/Local Co-op (once Tails is unlocked), Custom Soundtrack, Missions, and an Unlockable Stage builder. I'm just throwing ideas out there.

Here are the 32 Main Zones+7 Bonus zones the game would have. After you beat each Saga, the special stages would change, a new character would be unlocked, you gain a new set of chaos emeralds to earn, and you would eventually have to collect the Super Emeralds(S3&K) To see the true ending and unlock addtional content. In my opinion, this would make Sega a lot of money.

SAGA 1:Classic Sonic (Green Hill, Marble, Spring Yard, Labyrinth, Starlight, Scrap Brain, Final Zone)

SAGA 2:Classic Sonic and Tails (Emerald Hill, Chemical Plant, Aquatic Ruin, Casino Night, Hill Top, Mystic Cave, Oil Ocean, Metropolis, Sky Chase, Wing Fortress, Death Egg)

SAGA 3&K:Classic Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles (Angel Island, Hydrocity, Marble Garden, Carnival Night,Ice Cap, Launch Base, Mushroom Hill, Flying Battery, Sandopolis, Lava Reef, Hidden Palace, Sky Sanctuary, Death Egg, Doomsday)

SAGA:S3&K Bonus Zones 1(Azure Lake, Desert Palace, Chrome Gadget, Balloon Park, Endless Mine)

SammyOfMobius

SammyOfMobius said:

@Xbuster Maybe for a digital title, but we need a new Sonic game. I would like to see something new starring modern Sonic (redesign would be okay, maybe to look more like his classic self) in Adventure gameplay (no glitches or bad voice acting please) but in the style of a Genesis game (Act I, Act II, Act III, Boss Act, cycle repeats). Not that your idea is bad, maybe that would be a good idea for a digital Sonic game, but we need a new Sonic game. http://sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_(character)/Artwork_Gallery#Concepts_and_Designs<br /

Go to the concept art with the description: "Concepts for Sonic Adventure's Sonic Redesign." The Sonic on the left looks PERFECT. It looks like a mix of the newer, longer-spiked, skinnier Sonic and the older, shorter spiked, more pot-bellied Sonic.

Xbuster

Xbuster said:

@MultiMariosonic
A digital download would be nice. It would be nice to see it because we've never seen a classic sonic game remade before. Almost every company has remade a game in one way or another(don't get me started on Final Fantasy I and II). Seeing all the past zones in a sonic generations manner would be an instant hit. However, A new sonic game would be fantastic:) Ever since Sonic 4 came out and the guy who created sonic 3 and knuckles levels has taken control of sonic team, Sonic's games have been getting progressively better.

I would like to see a sonic colors 2, but they better make it have more amusement parks such as a Toy Kingdom inspired park, a snowy Christmas park with life-size nutcrackers,ribbon loops and other holiday stuff, a Casino Amusement park based off the one from sonic heroes, or another one based entirely off of amusement park rides such as the tilting pirate ships and Ferris wheels. However, This time around, Blaze, and other characters would be playable or just be NPCs that help you out. Sonic colors also needed more boss battles. What ever happened to fighting a different boss in each area? Sega needs to make the creative machines Eggman used to have in the past. In my opinion, Sonic colors was like a 3D/2D version of the sonic rush series only with more platforming and stages. Blaze would be a welcome character in a game like this.

Its time sonic abandoned the 7-zone/7 chaos emeralds thing. 7 zones is not enough anymore. in fact, I'm disappointed at sonic 4 for having 4 zones because the engine was addictive(although flawed). Sonic has had his ups and downs, but his good games outdo his bad ones, so I can't wait to see what he does in the future.

SammyOfMobius

SammyOfMobius said:

Hmm... how about Sonic CD2? Maybe it takes place in modern era with modern Sonic, but the game has 16-bit/32-bit graphics and it is revealed that Eggman was using using the Sonic Simulator from Sonic Colors to test his new robotic Sonic equivalents, and he is planning to use the "Virtual Hedgehogs" to defeat Sonic once and for all. The time travel gimmick returns, but when you go to the past, you change into Classic Sonic, who doesn't have the Homing Attack like Modern Sonic does but has Spindash like Modern Sonic does and has Insta-Shield that Modern Sonic doesn't have. If you time travel to the future, Future Sonic looks identical to Modern Sonic, but has Boost. In Act II on each Zone, you fight a Virtual Hedgehog which each have a different elemental power. Blue can have water, red can have fire, green can have earth powers, pink can have the power to heal himself and animate unanimate objects, black can have death power, new orange Virtual Hedgehog can have the power of the stars, and new purple Virtual Hedgehog can have toxic gas. And the best new feature is Sonic can equip their powers after defeating them. Also there with be completely new Zones, acts, and bosses as you can imagine, as well as destroying power generators in the past, freeing animals in the future, and a new Special Stage where you must run around a psuedo-3D area collecting imrpsoned animals and returning them to the portal to collect the Time Stone.

Xbuster

Xbuster said:

That does sound like a great Idea:) It makes a lot of sense too. I would really like to see Sonic Adventure 3 now that sonic has gained so much experience with his games over the years. Here's what I would like to see in SA3

1) Boost bar for speed characters only
2) Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Mighty, Amy, Blaze, Marine, Silver, Rouge, Shadow, Espio, Charmy, Vector, Cream, Big, Metal Sonic, Fang, Tikal, Eggman, and Omega. Each Character class would have their own genres.
a) Action/Speed(Sonic, Shadow, Blaze, Metal Sonic, Mighty, Marine)
b) Platforming(Amy, Silver, Tikal)
c) Flight/Platforming (Tails, Cream, Charmy)
d) Stealth(Espio)
e) Treasure Hunting(Knuckles, Rouge, Fang)
f) Blast-a-thon(Omega, Eggman, Tornado Missions)
g) Beat em up(Vector and Big)

3) Chao Garden. Why has SEGA abandoned this? I would like to see tons of new chao equipment and mini games, DLC, and Online chao activities such as Worldwide tournaments and various competitions. I would like to trade chao via internet connection to other people around the world. There is so much you can do with chao because you are raising something(s) that take a while to train. You buy them things and you get to love the stages you play to collect rings to buy them those things. It is sort of like pokemon for sonic and people would easily get addicted to it like in the past. There are a ton of activities chao can do such as olympic events, racing, kart racing, karate and a bunch of other stuff.
4) Emblems- Collecting these was a true addiction to anyone playing the SA series. The more you collect, the more stuff you unlock in the game and you unlock rare items for chao to use. In 2013, Emblems can be used for unlocking music, items, costumes, mini games, stages, artwork, and a bunch of other secrets.

5) A wide variety of stages. I would personally like to see sonic adventure take on at least 20 zones with 3 acts each. However, Each character will take their own routes and they all have seperate missions to achieve such as time limits, collecting rings, hard modes, and other stuff. Sonic Adventure has never had Acts before, so it would be good to see a bit of the classic formula built in.

6) Large, Detailed, and Adventurous HUB World. The 20 stages would be set across 7 hub zones that resemble the style of Sonic Adventure 1, but they are more more colorful like the classic games instead of realistic modernized areas as we see in some modern sonic games. Each character would be able to reach certain areas in both stages and HUB worlds which would lead to an extremely massive adventure.

7) 2D/3D Shift- Each character would have a 2.5D plane, Full 3D movement, or a mixture of the 2 which we see in modern sonic games. Some levels are all 2D, all 3D, or mix them. For example, if Knuckles had a 2D mode, when he digs in the ground, it would act like "DRILL" from sonic colors. He would be able to dig with the action button and when he gets out of the ground, it would go to 3D mode. Or, Mighty would be based off classic sonic and have full 2D gameplay. Sonic would be based off modern sonic games and there will be a lot of other gameplay styles.

8) Tornado/Machine Customization- I always had an Idea to expand the Tornado Upgrade Concept from Sonic Adventure. You would be able to find upgrades, and buy parts using the rings in your ring account. You can customize the color of the tornado, the design, the weaponry, and the way the engine works such as speed, flight control, and power. You would also be able to land and lift up at will unless it is a sky mission. It should play like Star-Fox or a typical 3D space shooter, but in various locations such as the sky or in some cases, land. The Tornado could fly, hover, jump high, shoot various gun and laser types and be fully customizable. This should be like building a Gummi Ship in Kingdom Hearts.

9) Various Character Upgrades and Experience Points- I would like to be able to collect a lot of upgrades for each character. However, these abilities and upgrades would act like an RPG game where you can equip and unequip them at will. So you will be able to customize how each character plays even after acquiring upgrades. Also, each upgrade is button specific and you will be able to equip more to a slot if you have enough EXP. These upgrades alter play style and you can find secret areas as they become more equipped. For example, you can't break a metal container, but later on the character becomes powerful enough to break it OR you can't beat a stage in the required time and need the boost bar, equip the boost ring and the spin dash ring won't work because it's an upgraded effect. Basically, you can make sonic play any kind of way you please such as classic sonic(Spin dash ring), Dreamcast sonic(Spin Dash, Light Dash, and Homing Ring), and modern sonic(Boost, stomp, homing, light dash, quick step, and drift rings). There will also be unlockable skills like sonic generations. Every Skill is based on Upgrade points and slots.

10)A variety of boss battles and difficulty missions- I would like to see Eggman-Driven Vehicles like in the classics, but they are very creative, detailed, and provide a challenge rather than hitting him 8 times. In sonic rush adventure and sonic heroes, the bosses had expansive health bars and put the characters' skills to the test. However, not all of them have to be Eggman, some can be supernatural beasts or machines that happen to get in their way.

I've said plenty, but here is a small list of things I would put in Sonic Adventure 3
..Super Forms in stages, Special Stages, Downloadable Content, Custom Soundtrack, Custom Stage Builder (Use rings to purchase platforms and gimmicks after collecting 100/??? emblems), no glitches, Addictive, A very lengthy experience of about 50+ hours depending on skills and emblems collected, Many platform types, HD grapchics, Multiplayer, Mission Mode, Boss Battle Mode, Battle Mode, Time Trail, Sound Test, Galleries, Every character can play through any stage once unlocked, Detailed Storyline, Extras, and it will lead up to being a near-perfect experience that is polished and fun for gamers of all ages.

If there is anything you'd like to add or say about my Sonic Adventure 3 Ideas, please feel free to respond, Thank you.