Cave Story eShop Release Date Confirmed

Posted by Damien McFerran

Digital download release is incoming

Indie legend Cave Story is coming to the 3DS eShop, along with a special 3D mode and additional content. It's out 4th October in North America, with a retail price of $9.99.

Not to be confused with Cave Story 3D - the 2011 release which effectively rebuilt the game in 3D from the ground up - this digital download is an update of the original 2D version. As such, it will contain the 'classic' visuals but will add in a 3D effect which takes advantage of the 3DS' unique auto-stereoscopic display.

Here's what Nicalis have to say about it:

The original 2D pixel-based Cave Story is officially releasing on the eShop as a native 3D game on October 4th, 2012 for $9.99! Additionally, Cave Story for eShop supports widescreen and original 4:3 modes, two button configurations and MORE Challenges!

Cave Story for eShop Features:

• 4:3 and REAL widescreen support. YES!
  • Multi-layered 3D depth (and lots of it!)
  • Additional Challenge modes (including Nemesis Challenge, Boss Rush, Curly Story, Hell Time Attack and Wind Fortress!)
  • And all the other stuff you love: over 20 epic boss battles, 15 levels to explore in the vast world, 10 unique weapons to find and upgrade, four unique endings

Note: Nintendo DSi owners can purchase the 2D version of Cave Story via DSiWare.

[via twitter.com]

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

So its coming out so now ever one can stop complainning(in NA anyways)...for a few minutes and complain about some other games.
Too bad owners of the 2d version can get a discount or something.

dirtyplastic

dirtyplastic said:

I'm still looking for cave story 3d, not found it anywhere! anyone want to sell me a copy?

TravelingD

TravelingD said:

My question would be, do 3ds owners whom already have the dsiware version get it as an free update?

ouroborous

ouroborous said:

A free or cheap update would be really nice considering that i already own the regular 2D DSiWare version AND the 3DS version too.
So is this one obsolete if you already have both of those? Cause even if its only a little different.... you know I will probably buy it yet again for a measly $10. hah.

RupeeClock

RupeeClock said:

There better be an EU release date soon.
We still don't have the DSiWare version and likely never will now.

Palom

Palom said:

Unfortunately, there's no discount for owners of the DSiWare version, like myself. If we want this version, we'll have to pay the full price.

Lite_Gamer

Lite_Gamer said:

This is a day one buy, Never played a cave story title so this looks like a great start.;)

allav866

allav866 said:

@Azikira Curly's Story's been on the WiiWare and PC re-release, and all it is is the same game, but with Curly, who adds her own dialogue. and the original main character takes Curly's original role as the sidekick, and he's still mute.

Anyways,10 unique weapons? Pfft. it's just the Polar Star, Machine Gun, Snake, Spur, Missile Launcher, Super Missile Launcher, Fireball, Bubbler, Blade and Nemesis. Nothing new. The real selling points of this--at least for us CS Veterans--are the Widescreen gameplay, 3-D, and basically having all the good stuff from Cave Story+ (except for the remastered graphics from the WiiWare) on a handheld.

Hokori

Hokori said:

I won't get CS a 3rd time, so unless the DSiWare version gets updated, I won't have this. The ones I want is 1001 spikes, la mulana, and night sky

tigermask

tigermask said:

Good stuff. My question is should I buy this? I have the cartridge, will I get anything extra for a digital version?

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

Ok, i was thinking this was the retail version but digital. Then is only a port of the wiiware version with 3d effect and some extra modes. I can breath softly now :)

shredmeister

shredmeister said:

I really liked Cave Story a lot, it was a quality experience. It was (and probably still is) free on the PC years ago, and I couldn't believe how someone could make a great game like that and not make any money from it. But the cash cow has definitely reared it's ugly head on this one. I stayed away from the retail 3DS version because I thought it looked too cluttered. I didn't feel the need to get the DSiWare version because I already had the WiiWare version. But this new e-shop version sounds like the one I wish I had the whole time. Damn you, cash cow! shakes fist in the air

Dyl_73

Dyl_73 said:

Seems a bit expensive to me. How many times can they re-issue the same game with small alterations before people get wise to it?...... Oh...... erm..... Pokemon, FIFA, PES, Madden, Call of Duty, Mario, the list goes on. I'm losing interest in these games where they expect a high price tag.
Small prices are fine. Full price is not.

GumbyX84

GumbyX84 said:

I've been waiting for this for a WHILE!! I can finally get Cave Story :). I rented Cave Story 3D from Gamefly and it just didn't feel right. I'm hoping the original "bad" translation is in this version. I miss my "Huzzah!!"s

Blizzaga

Blizzaga said:

It would be cool if owners of the DSiware version could upgrade to this for 3.99 or something instead of having to pay in full.

Marioman64

Marioman64 said:

the dsiware version is still my favorite, because its the most solid (and has the cool music karaoke unlock thingy)
and the 3ds retail version has no emotion on the 3d character models faces, so i gotta keep the classic sprites on with the amazing 3d backgrounds and its kind of silly
with this mutli-layered 2d-3d thing, its going to be an insta-buy for me for sure

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

@TheDreamingHawk I think people are upset because of how frequent a new version of cave story comes out, and that nicalis has 3 or 4 other games [Programing Project from Pixel thats heading to DSiWare, NightSky, 1001 spikes, and the fighting game. Anymore?] promised, but only releases Cave Story.

rayword45

rayword45 said:

@TheDreamingHawk There's several reasons

A. Nintendo sticks to making new games as well as porting.
B. The pricing of SMB ports are fairly static (excluding compilations). CS port prices are completely insane (Jumping from free, to $12, to $10, to $40)
C. SMB has had 6 total ports from 1993 to 2012. Cave Story has had 5 over 2 years.

BalrogtheMaster

BalrogtheMaster said:

I'll be honest, I'm kind of upset with what Nicalis did.

First off, I bought the DSi version for $10, and that was good fun. (Actually bought it twice because I traded in my DSi for a 3DS)
Then, I got Cave Story 3D, which I did like, but spent $40 for a pretty much inferior version.
And NOW this version comes out. I've already spent $60 on Cave Story, why can't this be a free DSi update? Or least cheaper for people who have that version? :(

bhornburg

bhornburg said:

Well frack, I just picked up the DSi version on the eShop. Sounds like it's the same game, but still pisses me off it costs the same, but will A)actually fill up the screen and b) be in 3d.

>:P