New Super Mario Bros. 2 Global Coin Total Surpasses 50 Billion

Posted by Darren Calvert

That's a whole lot of coins collected!

If you live in Europe or North America and have enabled SpotPass on New Super Mario Bros. 2 you should have recently received your first update to let you know how many coins have been collected by Mario fans globally.

We reported on this a few days ago when Japanese players got their first update, at that time the global total was a mere 36.5 billion. It has now increased to a whopping 50,610,416,353 coins which will no doubt be turning Wario green with envy.

Do let us know if you have received a similar SpotPass message. What are your guesses for next week's global coin total?

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

And I've contributed an embarrassingly pitiful number of coins to that. Much like real life, where I've contributed an embarrassingly pitiful number of dollars to the economy! Life does indeed imitate art! :o

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

This is kind of fun. They should create site where you can watch the total getting higher and higher, either that or a 3DS app.

HADAA

HADAA said:

I got this alert yesterday and I'm in North America, and the amount seems identical.

MeWario

MeWario said:

@FluttershyGuy Haha =)

Boom! That's a lot of coins. I've contributed 100,000 to that and climbing. O and I can confirm I received the same notice. Roger that, over and out.

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

I recieved the 50 billion notice yesterday. Anyone actually gotten to a million yet? I've unlocked the Star World and am only at 37,000 :P

BEGIN SPOILER

I will say, however, that you can earn boat-loads of coins doing the coin-rush challenges - my record so far is just over 2500 coins, and getting to the top of the flagpole will double your score. Also, you can unlock the elusive "Rainbow Worlds" if you get double digits on the clock that match your world number. Their basically giant coin-heavens! You can also try collecting a Golden Flower and then playing an underworld area full of bricks.

END SPOILER

Maybe with 50 billion coins, or better yet 50 trillion, the US economy can pay off the national deficit. What's the current global exchange rate on Mario coins to USD? B-)

MeWario

MeWario said:

@StarDust Yea I finished the main game with only 50,000 coins and was thinking that the grind to 1,000,000 would kill me, but after playing coin rush mode for a day I am at 100,000. My record is 7,000 and yes hitting the flag pole doubles the amount of coins you get so make sure you reach the end of the level with enough time to carefully time your jump. Each subsequent flagpole becomes more important because you don't just double the coins you get from that level but also from the previous levels.
That's all the tips I have =P

mudjo

mudjo said:

I got NSMB2 this afternoon and am at World 3-3 with 6000 coiNs.

iphys

iphys said:

Yesterday I went from like 150K to 450K just from Coin Rush. Helps that I set up my systems to tag each other: you get all the coins for a streetpass record just for racing against it and completing it, plus the coins you earn doing it, plus 1000 coins if you beat the record. It looks like it's going to be fairly easy to reach the million coins actually, especially once a lot of people start StreetPassing huge records. I feel like the total would be more meaningful if we actually had to earn each coin one by one, rather than getting heaps of them at once and coins getting multiplied various ways.

FantasiaWHT

FantasiaWHT said:

Now if each gold coin were $1 (think of Sacajawea's), the world of NSMB2 players would only need to do this 320 more times or so to pay the American government debt.

rjejr

rjejr said:

My kids are probably getting this for Christmas, I hope somebody still cares then.

Prof_Clayton

Prof_Clayton said:

Coin Rush is best way to get coims. My record is 14,000. So I have to play it about 60-70 times to get a million. Too easy!

MetalMario

MetalMario said:

I only have 113,186 coins at the moment, with nothing else to do besides coin rush. Seems like it might be a little tedious to get the 1,000,000.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Just good to see people are buying/playing the game. This should be a game that sells 3DS. Whether or not you think there has been too much Mario, if it means more 3DSs in people's hands, then Mario is doing his job which helps bring more games to us in the end.

Mario-Fan

Mario-Fan said:

I got 1,000,000 coins last night and Ive only had the game for a week and a day if you count today. And I've only played the game for 17 hours and 11 minutes. I do admit that 50,610,416,353 coins is a lot. Keep up the great coin collecting everyone. =)

Hokori

Hokori said:

I wonder if we can all max out the coin count, how many coins is that?

HADAA

HADAA said:

@LordOtakWiiU In Japan alone NSMB2 sold almost a million copies, so multiply that by the max coin count which is 10 million (minus 1), you get up to 10 trillion coins just in Japan. I don't have the global sales figure, but I doubt most of us would max out anyway.

LittleKing

LittleKing said:

Currently have around 100,000 coins. 12,000 is my CR record, but it's easy to max at 30,000 by spamming the infinite 1-UP trick as Gold Mario in the first level, then get three 2x multipliers.

HADAA

HADAA said:

@Metabble_King I'm still not sure how to do that though - I thought the Koopa shell would break after you've stepped on it 20 times as Gold Mario (so it's not truly infinite in CR mode)? Do I need to go back the pipe and let it respawn?

grumblegrumble

grumblegrumble said:

In order to make the whole Coin Total thing more legit and fun, Nintendo should donate a million dollars to a global charity of some sort when a pre-set total was achieved, now that would get people playing a little more ;)

P.S. And it wouldn't feel like a total waste of my 2 days off it it was all for a good cause hehe

JayFermont

JayFermont said:

Got 875000 coins atm, not feeling to grind any further right now lol. My CR record is 18700 Coins legit without any 1 up tricks or something like that which is acceptable to me.