E3 2012: Castlevania: Mirror of Fate Gameplay Whips Into Action

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

The Belmont clan are back

The Belmont clan is synonymous with the Castlevania franchise, with descendants often picking up the mantle of defeating Dracula and saving the world. In Nintendo handheld entries you haven't always necessarily been in charge of an iconic Belmont vampire-slayer, something that the upcoming 3DS title Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate will resolve.

A recently released trailer starts off with a number of cutscenes, setting the scene with lots of talk of ancestor's heroics, fighting evil and the usual Castlevania shtick. The art design is a rather stylish cel-shaded effect, and then right at the end there's a snippet of in-game action, with visuals that look quite impressive on the handheld. There are daunting bosses as well as plenty of whip action to swing and slay enemies: it's a short glimpse, but an encouraging one.

Check out the trailer below and let us know what you think.

fxtek76

fxtek76 said:

I have always loved Castevania. My first was Simons Quest and my last experience has been Rebirth. Just got the Nintendo Power showcasing this and past games. Mirror of Fate is shaping up nicely. Actually 3DS is my first handheld system and love it so always looking for great new content.

James

James said:

Really like the look of this — could be a blend of the very best bits of Castlevania. Colour me interested!

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

I'm still not convinced, I'm not a fan of this foreign outsourcing trend of major franchises, but at least all of the outsourced titles carry the Lords of Shadow title, just like with the Metroid Prime series.

luminalace

luminalace said:

Holy crap...this has become one of my most anticipated titles full stop! Loved Castlevania since the NES days and that short glimpse made me a very happy man! Gimme now please!

Kirk

Kirk said:

The actual game looks potentially very good (both the graphics and gameplay).

Don't like the various cheap looking cut-scenes or the amateur voice acting.

PixelatedPixie

PixelatedPixie said:

Castlevania: Lords of Shawdow: Mirror of Fate? Wow, Konami are really taking the whole '**** of ****' naming structure to new heights.

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

Even though I enjoyed Lord of Shadows I was a bit worried about them handling the development of this new game for 3DS. Now that I have seen this trailer I feel a lot more confident that this game is good hands. I love the art style and the game looks like it captures that old-school 2D Castlevania gameplay while mixing it up with some good modern flair. I just hope that the music will be as good as the Japanese produced Castlevania games.

Expa0

Expa0 said:

Looks like outsourcing will be the bane of Castlevania.

Now 3DS has only Fire Emblem, (possible) Advance Wars title, Atlus titles and Main Pokemon titles left as it's only worthwhile games.

WaveyChristmas

WaveyChristmas said:

First the out sourcing with Silent Hill, and Now Castlevania? What's wrong with Konami Japan, are they getting tired of their franchises?

I too am on the wait and see apporach...Based on what's shown in the clip in game snippets, it looks like a 2D God of war....Damnit, i WAN'T another Castlevnia ReBirth or SCIV. The only 2 american Devs that i feel can capture that Japan-retro magic are WayForward and Retro Studios. I'd have much more faith had either of them been involved with this..

Like SH, looks like the Castlevania franchise is falling, I hate it when a popular franchise gets outsourced to western developers. Hell what's next? CONTRA??? Are we going to see a big flashy gritty hollywoodized 3D Gears of War out sourced westernized sequal destroying the fundamental gameplay that made the original series so great in the first place...

Looks like we won't be seeing ClassicCastlevania for a long time, hopefully this one proves me wrong! Sigh, i've been so negative as of late, but i really don't like the out sourcing....or direction these franchises that were once amazing are going in. total beepop bummer bud! :p

Steamboat_Willie

Steamboat_Willie said:

I don't like the way it looks, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. In 2007 plenty of people were doubting Wayforward when they were developing Contra 4 and that game turned out to be one of the best games of last gen.

WaveyChristmas

WaveyChristmas said:

Settle kid? LOLyour sig says 88', i've got 4 years on ya....kid. And like i said if the franchise is being out sourced to WayForwad which Contra 4 'was' which btw is easily one of the greatest sequals in the franchise than I'm all for it.

WF is the western oldschool modern retro savior, i've got mad respect for those guys! B-)

TNLGUY

TNLGUY said:

I'm bummed beyond belief. I felt like the series was getting back on track with Ecclesia. At this rate, I'll never get my 1999 game.

EDIT: Though the classic series was also great fun. I'd rather them infuse more classic elements than whatever the hell they think they're doing now.

KAI7321

KAI7321 said:

Need to see more gameplay footage until we can make a judgement on how this is going to play out, though I'm glad they are still pursuing a 2D-type angle on this series.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

Wait, I thought that Trevor Belmont was the great grandfather of Simon Belmont? So... unless I missed something, I take it Simon had a son named after his great granddad or something?

hendie001

hendie001 said:

i think this looks great can t wait for it. i wish they would release rebirth on 3ds for download that would be nice.