First Impressions: Art of Balance TOUCH! (3DS eShop)

Posted by James Newton

Small scale

Art of Balance on WiiWare is one of the service's best puzzlers — the second highest-rated puzzler on Wii, according to Metacritic — so an enhanced, portable version for 3DS sounds like a winner. Surprise! It is.

Art of Balance TOUCH! follows the same format as previous Shin'en WiiWare-to-eShop transition Fun! Fun! Minigolf TOUCH!. It keeps the same stages and basic gameplay, but doubles the number of puzzles and introduces new block types and touch screen controls.

Anyone who's conquered the WiiWare version's first four worlds will be right at home with their introduction on 3DS — the puzzles are identical, and the new stylus controls work just as well as the Wii pointer. Blocks are displayed on the top screen and you pick up, move and drop them with the touch screen; it's instinctive and responsive, and arguably more precise than the Wii's pointer could ever manage.

Anyone who hasn't played the original might wonder what the game's all about, and it's simple: balance. You're given a number of blocks and have to stack them into a sturdy structure that stands for three seconds without falling into the water below. That's really it. Of course, blocks come in many shapes and sizes and it takes planning and a steady hand to succeed. Art of Balance TOUCH! also introduces several new block types that radically change the way you play, including one that reverses gravity and forces you to build a stack that's solid on the top and bottom.

If you've played and enjoyed Art of Balance on WiiWare there's no reason you won't get the same enjoyment from Art of Balance TOUCH! on 3DS. The same solid concept is here, bolstered by responsive controls and new twists.

Expect to see Art of Balance TOUCH! hit the eShop in the coming weeks.

6ch6ris6

6ch6ris6 said:

think i played the demo of the wiiware game and hated it.

it was too shaky with the wiimote and much too hard to place those pieces without them falling down

Reala

Reala said:

instant buy loved the wiiware version challenging yet kinda relaxing at the same time 100%'ed that version so can't wait for some new puzzles.

HeroOfCybertron

HeroOfCybertron said:

I played the demo on the Wii and I remember liking it I just didn't fell like spending 800 points on it maybe I will pick up Art of Balance TOUCH! when it comes to the eshop.

BenAV

BenAV said:

Fun! Fun! Minigolf TOUCH! is probably the most disappointing thing that I've downloaded on my 3DS so I'll be very hesitant about downloading any other games they have to offer.
If it gets reviewed well then I'll consider it, but at this stage I'm pretty sure I'll pass.

James

James said:

@BenAV the difference is here Art of Balance is one of the highest-rated WiiWare games, whereas FFM... well, it isn't.

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

this is one of my favorite Wii Ware titles. It has a high level of polish and the gameplay is relaxing and fun.

BenAV

BenAV said:

@James I have noticed that, but I'll still have to wait for a review rather than just downloading it straight away like I usually tend to.
I wish I could trade over Fun Fun! Minigolf for this, as I don't really want it on my system. D:

Tethers

Tethers said:

The WiiWare version was/is great, so the 3DS release will be an instant buy for me.

DeadAntelopesGo

DeadAntelopesGo said:

I will most likely be getting this. The original is an outstanding game. As for Fun Fun Minigolf Touch, I actually enjoyed it. I got my money's worth for it at least.

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

I've been meaning to pick up the WiiWare game for ages, but mainly for the multiplayer. I watched a BitBlock video of a 2-player game it looked quite enjoyable.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

Still one of my all-time favorite WiiWare games. Can't WAIT to play this 3DS rendition. :D

SKTTR

SKTTR said:

The WiiWare version is great audiovisually (like every Shin'en game) and easy to play if you can aim on the screen.
I beat it in two days (4 hours). 4 worlds just wasn't much. For me it was just too short and easy. I would have appreciated a 5th "hardcore" world after getting 100%. It's great games like these when you're disappointed they're over too soon.
Art of Balance 3D with more content, touchscreen controls, and new blocks - it sounds like this time it's going to be a perfect version.

accc

accc said:

Loved Art of Balance, can't wait to play this although I'm not convinced that touch controls can match the perfection of the Wiimote pointer.

RR529

RR529 said:

Played the demo of this and really enjoyed it. This sounds like a great game for my 3DS.

cyrus_zuo

cyrus_zuo said:

Loved the demo!
Bought the game and love went to like to total frustration. I'd say the controls broke the game, but I really blame the design. Since it was wonderful at first, then became too hard to play due to the controls it points to the design not taking into account how hard it is to get accuracy with a Wiimote pointer.
I have to say I'm not excited for this at all. I really wish the design of Shin'en games matched the visual quality. Their games look amazing, and often play 'ok' at best. If the game design came to match the visual design they'd be the best 3P developer in the downloadable Nintendo shops.

chewytapeworm

chewytapeworm said:

Looks identical to the Wii one. Which was furiously addictive for what it was. First eshop game I'm buying in quite a while by the looks of it!!

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

So it has all the stages that the Wiiware version has as well as the new ones? If so, then I'll get this instead as I was planning on getting the Wiiware version but hadn't got round to it yet.

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

I think Art of Balance Wii is regarded as one of the very best download game on any system isn't it? It IS brilliant by the way IMHO.

This is an insta-buy

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Hoping this game will be one of the "spend coins to get this" with Club Nintendo next month. Would love to play it being a big puzzle fan.

chewytapeworm

chewytapeworm said:

The fact it has all the Wiiware stages is a tad disappointing as I've already played it through. But as there's multiple solutions to almost every level, I don't mind too much!

EddieEddieEddie

EddieEddieEddie said:

I already played this on the Wii, not the WiiWare one but WarioWare: Smooth Moves, It's a very entertaining little game.

aoeder

aoeder said:

I had fun with the WiiWare one. As long as this is $5 or less, I'll probably pick it up.

MCpsy

MCpsy said:

Probably going to be an instant buy if it comes to the US. Loved the originol and is great with friends.

Victoria

Victoria said:

I wanted this as WiiWare, but thought it was a bit hard to play with the remote, so I kept putting off buying it. Maybe it would be easier on the 3DS?