Skyward Sword Up for BAFTA Game of 2011

Posted by James Newton

You can make it happen

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword has been nominated for the BAFTA GAME Award 2011, the only award determined by a public vote.

Link's latest is the only Nintendo-exclusive game on the shortlist, but if you want to support it you can vote for Skyward Sword. You don't even need to be a UK resident, so go nuts.

Here's the shortlist in full, with the winner announced on Friday, 16th March.

Batman: Arkham City
Battlefield 3
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
FIFA 12
LA Noire
Minecraft
Portal 2
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

[via baftagameaward.com]

Cia

Cia said:

Just vote anything else but Skyrim. A bugfest doesn't deserve GOTY.

Birthday_Boy

Birthday_Boy said:

Well I found LoZ SS, to be a more fun game. However, Minecraft is impressive for an indie game.

Fuzzy

Fuzzy said:

There's some good games there. It's a toss up between Zelda and Batman for me. Hmmm....

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

I've put my vote in: Skyward Sword all the way, of course :)

I'm still planning to play through this again, it's just glorious.

Cia

Cia said:

Whoa, where's Xenoblade? How can they just leave it out... guess i'm giving it to SS then.

edhe

edhe said:

FIFA 12!? Give me a break.

I'd vote for Minecraft, but all they seem to add to it nowadays is animals and other pointless crap.

Skyward Sword is the only other game on the list I've played, so that would be my natural choice, but Minecraft (when you strip away all the chaff) is pretty special.

I abstain.

misswliu81

misswliu81 said:

voted for skyward sword. surprising to see xenoblade omitted from the list, though i guess not many have heard of it, even if it did come out in the U.K.

if xenoblade chronicles was on this list, i would've voted for that one.

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

Please everyone out there, Vote, I see that CoD has won the award the last 3 years and at least for me, its the least Goty material game from the list. I voted for Skyward Sword, even though Ive played 8 of the games on the list.

grumblebuzzz

grumblebuzzz said:

Eh, I'm one of the few people who isn't all Skyward Sword crazy. It's an okay game at best. I'm going with Batman.

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

Voted Skyward Sword. Why?

Batman: Arkham City: The story didn't make sense at all, and I'm not a fan of the combat or the art style. I know many people enjoy the combat, I do not.
Battlefield 3: Great PC Multiplayer, poor single player, overall average game.
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3: Incredible disappointment all around and I will never buy another CoD game again. Another game that promotes Kill/Death ratio above all else even in objective games. Support Class has no good rewards and is made useless by Assassin Perk.
FIFA 12: I don't buy sport games that try to be realistic.
LA Noire: Started out good as a murder detective game but the game got worse and worse as you kept playing until it was downright terrible and incredibly boring. I'm not a fan of the "realistic scanned faces concept" either. Rather the realistic, the faces ended up ugly and creepy.
Minecraft: Very fun... with mods and player made content. Fun without as a survival and construction game (I made myself a castle) but mods and player made content really make it shine as a game.
Portal 2: Good game, nothing that special though.
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim: Fantastic with mods on PC, average without. Also, Bethesda is apparently intent on never bug testing their games at all. The lists of bugs and glitches that matter are huge.
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword: The character designs and personalities are amazing, the game play is fun and varied, the places you explore are amazing, there are some hiccups in the UI but nothing that ruins the game. I find myself smiling all the time while playing, just talking to people and listening to their responses, and eager to see what comes next.
Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception: Uncharted 1 and 2 were fantastic, 3 was utter garbage. It pretty much took out everything that made 1 and 2 good.

Mr_Nose

Mr_Nose said:

Minecraft deserves the win.

I don't understand Skyward sword's popularity. I thought it was a huge let down.

Twilight Princess would get my vote though, even among the current nominees.

Dodger

Dodger said:

I don't get why people found Skyward Sword to be a letdown. I'm not going to be closed-minded and say that their opinion is stupid but I do disagree with them.

Skyrim is going to win but I will go vote for Skyward Sword now.

TheRegginator

TheRegginator said:

Are they honestly counting Minecraft? It doesn't matter if version 1 came out this year. People have been buying it and playing it for years.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

As good as Skyward Sword is, if I were to vote, I couldn't give it GOTY over Batman: Arkham City. That game is probably a long shot to get the award though, it'll either go to Skyrim or Uncharted 3 both of which are even more ridiculously overrated than Skyward Sword.