King of Fighters '97 Strikes Wii VC in Europe Next Week

Posted by James Newton

Feel the power of flames

Well-respected fighter King of Fighters '97 is the next game to join the Wii's Virtual Console, landing next Thursday.

Despite the fact the Western VC hasn't got King of Fighters '96 yet, the next instalment is down for Europe on Thursday 9th February for 900 Nintendo Points.

Will you be dropping your points to pick up this snazzy scrapper?

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

I'll be downloading it. Would have preferred King of Fighters '96 first but this will do too.

James

James said:

May have to break out the old Saturn and play some KoF 97 tonight.

MattL

MattL said:

Prefer something a little more cerebral these days, personally, but I'm glad to see another VC release so soon. And by all appearances, the game has aged very well. Hopefully this will motivate the naysayers into saying something other than nay for a while.

motang

motang said:

It's getting closer to my favorite KoF game! So is the VC dead in the US?

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

Whoa! you can play Virtual Console games on your Wii. I'll forget the fact that they forgot' 96.

Ryno

Ryno said:

Wow, Europe is now on fire when it comes to the the Wii VC!

misswliu81

misswliu81 said:

brilliant news this- hope north america and australia gets this game as well.

and i'm hoping there is a review of KOF 97 on this website soon.

you can still get KOF collection for the wii, as this has KOF 94 -98. in that case, SNK should release KOF 99- XI instead on the wii V.C.

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

'98 is not even out in Japan yet, so I'm not expecting that anytime soon. '96 has been on Japanese VC for a year. I really dont see the point of skipping it, even if they are similar. They're still more different from installment to installment than all the SFII games on the VC.
Anyway, I've been waiting on '97. Or '98, but I doubt we're getting that this year.

BJQ1972

BJQ1972 said:

@misswliu81. For some reason the KOF and the Samurai Showdown Anthologies were never released in the UK were they? I know I had to get my copies from Europe.

Sockymon

Sockymon said:

I stopped downloading Neo Geo games 'cos they all seem to run at 50hz. Is this any different?

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

Dammit, we haven't even got Mega Man X2, Strider, and that online compatible Super Street Fighter II Genesis port yet and now we are missing KOF96, Samurai Shodown 4, Real Bout FF 1 and Special and now we are also missing KOF 97 as well. NOA needs to stop releasing craps and start on getting some good games.

misswliu81

misswliu81 said:

@BJQ1972

you could purchase them on amazon U.K website but in shops like GAME, hmv, you're right they didn't sell them in store.

Urbanhispanic

Urbanhispanic said:

We definitely need more support for Neo Geo as well as the other retro consoles Nintendo said they were supporting. NOA needs to ramp up their weekly digital titles because they could be making a lot more money instead of backing everything up.

Sockymon

Sockymon said:

@HeroOfWaffles Some VC games do, but it's particularly noticeable on a fighter like this. PC Engine games are 60hz and some N64 games are optimised for PAL. The Neo Geo games compiled on SNK Arcade Classics run at 60hz so I don't understand it.

LeasTwanteD

LeasTwanteD said:

So a new Wii VC game every two weeks from now on ? Not too bad for a console.on life support. Can't wait for more non-fighting games.

misswliu81

misswliu81 said:

i think by downloading this game and sending messages to nintendo through twitter and facebook, hopefully, this'll make nintendo take notice of the V.C that they continue to put out new games for it each week.

maybe it could work this way.

LordTendoboy

LordTendoboy said:

How can they fit Neo Geo games and TurboGrafix CD (Castlevania: Rondo of Blood) on the Virtual Console? Weren't those games way over the 40 MB size limit?

Looking right at KOF '97's cover, it says over 450 Megs. That is way bigger than the Wii's size limit.

misswliu81

misswliu81 said:

@LordTendoboy

from what i read, though the neo geo itself was originally marketed as a 24-bit console, it ran on a 16 bit system similar to the SNES and sega genesis. so it wasn't that advanced over the SNES, genesis in terms of graphical power.

BJQ1972

BJQ1972 said:

@LordTendoboy I think the Megs in that picture is Mbits rather than MBytes, so you can divide that number by 8. I think the games are then reduced in size further by compressing any audio.

Rondo of Blood is the same - the audio on the game discs was encoded as WAVs, and so is converted to a compressed format for the download release.

Edit: on second thoughts thoughts that might be the box art for the CD version, so it may mean 460MB, but the same principle as the Rondo Of Blood example applies.

gojiguy

gojiguy said:

96 is better.

And anyone who buys this is a total schmuck. The KoF Collection has 5 games for the price of one and it has button customization, training, etc.
Though I suppose I dont know if it got released in Europe...

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Agree with Retroplayer22. I would rather have Real Bout and Garou than games like these that you can get in anthology discs.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Though I suppose I dont know if it got released in Europe...

I think maybe in very limited numbers in parts of Europe. I've never seen it in England. I have the collection on PS2 but I find the quality of the emulation to be poor compared to KoF94 and KoF95 I had already downloaded on Wii.

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

@gojiguy Please learn to separate your opinion from fact. If buyers only want one game out of the series, or want to buy it digitally, then that's their choice.

Chozo85

Chozo85 said:

@Bass_X0. The KoF collection was available from an Amazon marketplace seller in the UK for some time priced at £12.99. Its definitely the English version (with the green triangle) and all games run in glorious 60hz. For that reason I will have to pass on KoF 97. Still I'm hoping for more Neo Geo games. Didn't Japan just get Garou: Mark of the wolves? I'd be overjoyed to see that get a VC release.