SEGA Unveils 20th Anniversary Sonic Figurine

Posted by James Newton

Only 1,000 to be made

Next week is an auspicious occasion, marking 20 years since the very first Sonic the Hedgehog blast processed his way into our lives, and SEGA wants to commemorate its hero's two decades of running with a limited edition figurine.

The numbered 1,000 model run is so exclusive it won't even be sold in shops, and will likely be used as promotional items and giveaways to Sonic's most ardent fans. Either that or they'll sit on the desks of top SEGA executives to stop their papers flying away. One of the two.

Two versions will be made with differing box art displayed in the monitors, though our in-house Sonic expert tells us the cover art displayed in the European model is in fact the Japanese box art.

[via blogs.sega.com]

James

James said:

"The numbered 1,000 model run is so exclusive it won't even be sold in shops".

amerilia

amerilia said:

I want. I want. NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But unless it's like $10 I won't be able to afford it. Damn you, Sega!!! Don't torture us!

Retro_on_theGo

Retro_on_theGo said:

Oh, the anniversary is next week? I guess we will get our first Sonic Game Gear game on the VC next Thursday.
Also, those figures are going to make someone rich on ebay.

Colors

Colors said:

I'm downloading all Sonic games on VC, finishing the horrid Sonic Unleashed, and buying several Sonic GCN games. Wish me luck.
@AmerilIa $10? If it was sold in stores it would likely be close to the $300-$400 range. They'll likely be around $500 if they're sold on eBay.

hydeks

hydeks said:

I'll celebrate by getting sonic colors! I really hope it's actually good, i'm a huge sonic fan but not recently, i've played the new games but mehh

a_binfahad

a_binfahad said:

omg , omg , OMIGOSH!!!! I, I , AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!!

THESE ARE NEEDED IN MY LiFe!!!!!!!!!!
2 bad they aren't bought in shops =_=

Punny

Punny said:

Looking good! Too bad it will cost a lot of Rings - I mean - money...

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

Uhm, they should have this as a pre-order bonus with Sonic Generations- not this silly nonsense.

LeasTwanteD

LeasTwanteD said:

I'll catch a living hedgehog, colour him blue and give him a lot of coffeine to make him run really fast.
He should be happy about being made into a really cool hedgehog, right?

Or i will just dowload a Sonic game on the 3DS' VC if they decide to release a good one. :)

Henmii

Henmii said:

"Sonic's official 20th anniversary is next Thursday, 23rd June. How will you celebrate?"

By crying a lot since Sega kicks Nintendo fans in the balls by never releasing the real Sonic Generations on a Nintendo device!

Retro_Gamer

Retro_Gamer said:

Guess I'm going to play through all three classic sonic games next Thursday, gotta celebrate with the best!

Pj1

Pj1 said:

I'd love one, I'm gonna to celebrate Sonic being 20 by downloading the Mega drive game on one my Wii's!!. I'm hoping Sega will cut the price of this title, So I'm going to wait and see till next friday to download,

James

James said:

@jer18 Let me tell you, if we manage to snag one of these beauties a competition will be the last thing on our minds! :D

RedYoshi999

RedYoshi999 said:

Ooh yes, I can celebrate by playing Sonic Colours which I recently bought and expect to come next week!

Squid

Squid said:

Dang, I want one of those... Just wish I knew where to find one! >_< And I'll probably celebrate by completing Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing 100% and by playing every single Sonic game I own. :D