Nintendo Nearly Dropped MotionPlus from Skyward Sword

Posted by James Newton

Tea table nearly toppled

Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword is one of a handful of Wii MotionPlus-exclusive games for Wii, but series leader Eiji Aonuma revealed in a recent interview that it nearly panned out very differently.

Aonuma explained that after several years of development time with MotionPlus, he questioned whether the accessory was a good fit for the title, even spending a few months developing the title for just a standard Wii Remote. It took Wii Sports Resort director Katsuya Eguchi to bring Aonuma to his senses, saying:

Look at all these things you can do with Motion Plus, why wouldn't you use this in a Zelda game? It would be strange not to!

Aonuma clearly agrees, as the game is set to launch with an exclusive Gold Wii Remote Plus as part of the Zelda 25th anniversary celebrations. How different things could have been, though...

[via uk.wii.ign.com]

Lan

Lan said:

yeah i read it on ign earlier but i remember reading this months ago

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

Wow, this is news to me, I didn't hear anything about this. Thankfully Katsuya Eguchi was able to convince Eiji Aonumu to keep the MotionPlus controls in the game. Everything that I have heard about the controls for this game say that they work extremely well and it would have been a shame not to experience that. Oh and of course being able to get that gold Wii Remote Plus is an especially nice bonus as well.:D

TheSpud

TheSpud said:

Love it how open and honest Nintendo are about their developments and also admit to their failures! :)

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

Rumor is that Skyward Sword was originally going to run only on the Vitality Sensor.

Mikau94

Mikau94 said:

@GuardianAcorn I think it was in a Nintendo Power article that I read at ZeldaDungeon.net a while ago

FYI You aren't going crazy as far as we know!

motang

motang said:

So the only reason to have motion plus wouldn't have dropped...ok Nintendo sometimes I don't understand you at all.

Splat

Splat said:

I wish more games besides lame party games would use Motion Plus. I loved it for Red Steel 2 and I think it could be great for alot of games if used right.

D33G

D33G said:

I still like my Gold Classic Controller Pro, but I LOVE that too!

Now, which remote should be backup...
Blue, Pink, Lego, or Black Wii Remote Plus...

Ren

Ren said:

Still don't have one at all. I'd rather not bother since it seems like no 3rd parties were all that interested, but as long as they stay WiiU compatible I'll pick one up eventually.
Once WiiU is around and we're still using remotes I'm sure the Remote + will make sense as an upgrade; right now it's annoying. so no release date for this game still? Not even a ballpark? I thought Corbie said it looked 'almost done'. whats the hold up?

bonesy91

bonesy91 said:

glad they did go with adding Motion plus (I mean really, Nintendo designed the thing you think they would use it :P )

kdognumba1

kdognumba1 said:

That would of been pretty bad if they did. Then again I have 4 original Wii motes still without Wii motion plus.

Mandoble

Mandoble said:

Designing a game focused on a controller is lately a quite frequent Nintendo mistake. Might be Aonuma was not that wrong after all.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Is the gold Wiimote a pack-in with Syward Sword or the some 25th Anniversary Zelda package? I saw the entire presentation but I'm still not sure. And I don't blame the guy for wanting to make a non-Plus version, more ways to play it means more sales. If they port an HD version to WiiU you'll be playing it like a DS game, slashing with your stylus, which I'm sure was in the back of that guy's mind somewhere while he's been working on this the past few years. .

Bassman_Q

Bassman_Q said:

I'd be pissed if they didn't have Motion Plus used in SS. That was the only reason why I bought Wii Sports Resort!

Then again, I should've known they'd release a special edition Wii Remote Plus with the game... Do want.

D33G

D33G said:

I guess it could b like Twilight Princess, 1 4 GC & 1 4 wii
only this time, 1 4 Wii & 1 4 WiiU

Henmii

Henmii said:

This is not new. I already knew for months that Aonuma almost gave up because he couldn't get it right. I am happy that they pulled through, since it could give the game better fighting and overall more freshnes!

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

I really want that gold remote. Finally gives me a reason to replace my original Wiimote I got with my Wii!

James

James said:

I'm sure the gold Wii Remote Plus will be part of a special package. I doubt it will be sold separately, but who knows?

Crunc

Crunc said:

I'm sure I won't be with the majority on this, but I'd be a lot more interested in this game if they scraped plans to release it on the Wii and instead reworked and released it for the Wii U, with a global achievements system, HD graphics, etc. I doubt I'll play this game at all on the Wii. However, my 10 year old will, so we'll get it anyway.

hydeks

hydeks said:

i'll be getting this game AND that controller. love zelda, but where's the rest of the wii games? there's like nothing else other than kirby wii coming :P

meizme

meizme said:

Gold wiimote ftw, skyward sword looks great, might beat OOT 3d for best zelda ever! looks like this marks the death of the wii though.. sad but wii U only a little way off.