New Trailer for Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword Lies In Wait

Posted by James Newton

Link's inside

Nintendo started its E3 2011 show with a thank you to Zelda fans for supporting the series for 25 years, and Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword is the company's Christmas gift to gamers this year.

The brand new trailer shows off more of the game's MotionPlus-powered action, but you've probably already stopped reading and have clicked Play. We understand.

Kid_A

Kid_A said:

Avatar: Skyward Sword.

...aaaaaaaaaaaaaanyway, this trailer is awesome!

Meta-Rift

Meta-Rift said:

That was awesome, but what I'm most excited/worried about is the overworld. I hope we get a good example of its design soon.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

That was a fantastic trailer and I hope that white haired guy is the main antagonist and not Gannondorf.

ueI

ueI said:

Zelda and Link are both ugly as heck, but I'm looking forward to the game otherwise. Play the trailer backwards!

yoyogamer

yoyogamer said:

Although I'm still not sure about this Wii U stuff, I have to say that Nintendo did a great job on the Wii-3ds side of things this year. The Zelda 25 orchastra was pretty good to.

Henmii

Henmii said:

I was dissapointed that Nintendo didn't show a kick-ass Skyward sword trailer during their briefing. But now that I have seen this trailer...still not kick-ass sadly. This one and the second one are still better then the first one though.

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

Yeah, I have to admit not really liking any of the character design here (Link, unnamed Zelda-ish girl, unnamed villain, etc — none of them).

I'm more intrigued by NIntendo's fact sheet on their e3 page, specifically this item:

Explore a massive, multilayered world that seamlessly blends soaring exploration in a sea of clouds with intense ground-based adventuring that blurs the line between the main world and traditional Zelda dungeons

ueI

ueI said:

@Rift: You're right, Zelda wasn't in the trailer. I did see a female, but she looked nothing like the princess we all know and love. I simply mistook her for Zelda because she had blond hair and wore purple and I was expecting to see Zelda. Hopefully this minor resemblance is nothing more than coincidence. I'd hate for nintendo to cannonize such a poor design.

Henmii

Henmii said:

The blond girl was not Zelda! She looks more like a grown-up Aryll. She is obviously Link's friend/girlfriend. And because she gets sucked up by some kind of creature, Link has to go to Hyrule to save her. And I guess in Hyrule he meets the REAL Zelda!

Meta-Rift

Meta-Rift said:

@warioswoods: I actually like the villain's design. When I saw him in the GDC trailer, my first thought was actually "OMG Vaati!", and that would even make sense with what we know about the game. Link looks nearly identical to his Twilight Princess character design, which is fine with me.

What you quoted from the E3 page is exactly what I wanted to see in this trailer. I hope they show more soon.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

Could that creature that swallows the girl possibly be the Wind fish?, or Jabu(Take another, much closer look!)! Also, NLife had a link on the side in that "Around the web" column above a little while ago. The music in this trailer is Zelda's Lullaby when you play the music backwards. ;)

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

Actually, isn't one of the TP music tracks Zelda's Lullaby when played backwards?!

Meta-Rift

Meta-Rift said:

@Capt_N: People figured out about Zelda's Lullaby just a few days after the GDC trailer. I don't think it was in Twilight Princess, though.

Gamesake

Gamesake said:

I hope the vast majority of this game takes place in Hyrule. I don't need more island hopping. I had enough of that in Wind Waker.

NeoShinobi

NeoShinobi said:

Judging from the trailer, the character designs definitely are a step down from TP (if that's really Zelda then LOL).

Other than that though, this looks legit.

DJ_Triforce

DJ_Triforce said:

I'm really hoping that the "creature" that swallowed the blonde haired girl is the Wind Fish from Link's Awakening (my all-time favorite game... of all-time). I think it would be even better, however unlikely it is, if we discovered that the land below the clouds was in fact Koholint Island. Now that would be amazing. :)

Ancoma

Ancoma said:

Yes, characters seem pretty different from TP but, then, I should quickly accomodate... they look more like cartoons. But, what a long wait for a "real" wii Zelda game. Hope the story will be fine, and the difficulty well balanced. Seems to me I'm gonna loose some sleep time again ...

JimLad

JimLad said:

I don't know what excites me more, that you can fly, or that you have complete control over your sword and weapons. :D :D :D
This will be a great swan song for the Wii.

Henmii

Henmii said:

I am still not sold on the game. At first I was happy that they went back to celshading, but I think the style they chose isn't that good. But I guess it will look better on my television!

Also, Link looks even more girly then in Twilight princess and I also have my doubts about that villain. At first he looked cool wit his Jester cloths, but one of the new screenshots creeped me out (because of the make-up). And without the robe he looks terribly lame, and the battle with him looks terribly boring (look it up on the internet).

I'll buy it and I will get some enjoyment from it, though I don't expect a epic. How come that the smaller, far cheaper DS Zelda's (phantom hourglass and Spirit tracks) are much better then Twilight princess and presumably Skyward sword? Isn't Nintendo doing something wrong then?

I hope that the Zelda on wii u will be either Windwaker graphics or a totally new style (Skyward sword is a cross between Windwaker and Twilight princess). And I also want a young Link again!

As for the blond girl: I didn't believe that she was Zelda, but more and more people say that she is. If so, that would mean that this origins story also tells of how Zelda came to be in Hyrule! That would be pretty cool!

Update: Yes, the blond girl really is Zelda, even if she doesn't look like her.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I think the game looks great. It does look more like an impressionist painting than cel shading to me.